Re: Building a better nothing

    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 22, 2013

      It's a philosophical question that can't be answered by science, because science isn't interested in the how of appearances. Science is concerned with mechanics but philosophy with thought. Their separate discourses utilize not only different language, as h. asserts, but different concepts. I disagree that science uses only math as its primary language, because it too is constrained by language and employs a less obvious philosophy.

      Hegel saw speculative reason as what they have in common, but I fear the two disciplines are farther apart than ever. Science ironically has become as dogmatic as religion, and philosophy has been resected like an infected appendix.

      I think a general discussion, showing the distinction between speculative and common reason, regarding appearance might be interesting with all our diverse perspectives. From Kant to Zizek, so to speak. Through natural sense perception to concept and back again.

      So the question isn't even how something can come from 'nothing', but how anything can be at all.
    • wsindarius
      Message 77 of 77 , May 18, 2013