Explain Like I'm Five: Existentialism and Friederich Nietzsche

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20 3:14 AM
      I ran across this video on Youtube called 'Explain Like I'm Five: Existentialism and Friederich Nietzsche. I thought it might be something clever and funny but it's sad. The explanation is so simple, it's just wrong.

      h.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 7:44 AM
        Hi h.

        It's not sad and wrong because it's simple but that it's a blatant misrepresentation. On the other hand, it's also funny and right, because it accurately depicts how the average person considers Nietzsche and the manner in which they prefer to learn anything. Existentialism requires reading at least some of the literature itself and much of the art it has inspired. It can't be learned through power points. I watched some other videos (the stock market, Syria) and realized the targeted audience isn't actually 5 year olds. It's adults who can't think for themselves. It's kind of like watching the news. The children's reactions and suggestions weren't much different from those of many adults. So...maybe Explain Like I'm Five makes a valid point but one which isn't so obvious. They're not cute, as some of the press has blathered on about, but wicked satire if you don't take them at face value. Ironic isn't it?

        There are some good existentialist comedies. Two come to mind: Love and Death (younger Woody Allen) and I Heart Huckabees. Films, or plays, which make you laugh and feel somewhat uncomfortable absurdly hit the mark, I think.

        Mary

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

        > I ran across this video on Youtube called 'Explain Like I'm Five: Existentialism and Friederich Nietzsche. I thought it might be something clever and funny but it's sad. The explanation is so simple, it's just wrong.
        >
        > h.

      • hermit crab
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 6:16 PM
          On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi h.
          >
          > It's not sad and wrong because it's simple but that it's a blatant
          > misrepresentation.

          ==Yes, exactly, Mary. (and just the way it is)

          > On the other hand, it's also funny and right, because it accurately
          > depicts how the average person considers Nietzsche and the manner in which
          > they prefer to learn anything.

          ===Yes, when I watched it again, I realized that that was why I didn't like
          it. It reminded me of conversations I'd had with adults who'd thought that
          way. (but, again, that's the way some people are...and maybe it doesn't
          matter)

          Existentialism requires reading at least some of the literature itself and
          > much of the art it has inspired. It can't be learned through power points.
          > I watched some other videos (the stock market, Syria) and realized the
          > targeted audience isn't actually 5 year olds. It's adults who can't think
          > for themselves. It's kind of like watching the news.

          ===Yeah, I avoid the mainstream media because all kinds of ideas are being
          fed to us, it seems, and it doesn't feel like anyone cares about facts
          anymore. I hate hearing from reporters "a source close to
          _________________ said ____________.' and you never find out who these
          'sources' are so why should I believe anything I see on those news
          networks? (i accept that that is the way it is....corporate media, of
          course, will be biased and do anything to make another million bucks...just
          the way it is...and i'm glad there are alternatives...but who knows what
          news organization to watch, read, believe? they all have their biases)

          The children's reactions and suggestions weren't much different from those
          > of many adults. So...maybe Explain Like I'm Five makes a valid point but
          > one which isn't so obvious. They're not cute, as some of the press has
          > blathered on about, but wicked satire if you don't take them at face value.
          > Ironic isn't it?

          ===Yes, I see it as parody or satire now.

          > There are some good existentialist comedies. Two come to mind: Love and
          > Death (younger Woody Allen) and I Heart Huckabees. Films, or plays, which
          > make you laugh and feel somewhat uncomfortable absurdly hit the mark, I
          > think.

          ===Yep, I've seen both those movies. I think I saw I Heart Huckabees about
          six times before passing it off to my nephew or someone. I loved those
          Existential Detectives (Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman). What a hilarious
          movie. The dinner table conversation has to be one of the funniest scenes
          in that movie.

          h.