Re: Nothing

    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 19, 2013
      Wil,

      Would you explain the urgency of the philosophical question about Nothing? Is it related to a concern, not necessarily yours, that reductionist scientism and Buddhism alike foster nihilism and further separation from community. That along with the death of god, philosophy and literature and left with a void of meaning and lack of engagement, society will succumb to anything global corporate interests--via technology and media--throw at them? Do you see this urgency as a threat to freedom, a threat to critical thinking, or both?

      I recall something from Zizek's latest book that nihilism or the negation of desire isn't the proper response to the concept of Nothing but that Nothing is the matrix of freedom. Not in the sense that anything goes--either with capitalism or anarchism, or that without god all things are permissible--but that what can't be known frees us to set limits appropriate to our time and circumstance. We've learned the obvious limitations of tyranny, but have we learned the subtle dangers of losing our ability to reason as feeling, human beings and not machines?

      Mary
    • wsindarius
      Message 77 of 77 , May 18 9:26 PM
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wil_sinda/8751648669/in/photostream