Re: challenging assumptions

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 19, 2013
      Science isn't the sole arbiter for determining and defining concepts; philosophy also challenges assumptions.

      ===

      Mary,
      I find that I don't challenge assumptions made by scientists enough. I think it has to do with educational conditioning. As a student, I was asked to back up any statement I made in writing by giving references from some scientist or other academic who through research had THE TRUTH. I wasn't asked much to weigh these god's conclusions or even do my own experimenting. We were fed knowledge like we were empty vessels instead of taught to examine things and think for ourselves. Luckily, my own curiosity and the internet is helping me to drop some of that conditioning.

      Also, I began to realize that all concepts are so linguistically bound that they can become too far removed from reality to be of use. Language creates boundaries and creates false dichotomies and sometimes just complicates things to a point that thoughts can obscure simple reality.

      h.
    • wsindarius
      Message 77 of 77 , May 18, 2013
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wil_sinda/8751648669/in/photostream