Re: Question for Mary

    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 18, 2013
      Yes, Jim, family is my first commitment. Staying open emotionally and listening to them remains my priority. Due to physical limitations, Existlist has been a community and place to discuss my passion for philosophy with others, because as you know there is little interest for it in our work-a-day world and among acquaintances. I think existentialism remains a viable alternative to the ideologies, dogmatisms, and what passes for pragmatism. That science and the great wars led to existentialism's appearance is important, because their impact on our lives continues but in subtle ways. Reductionist and militarist philosophies are more insidious but woven into everything. Wars are so removed, so sanitized, and science wed to business loses its objectivity. If someone takes the solitary path intellectually, they are still intertwined and implicated. If some take the path of solidarity, there is often no transparency as to leadership motives. Finding unbiased media sources is difficult.

      > Mary – That is fair comment what you have written. One theme in existentialism is commitment, and you and Bill have shown a level of commitment to existlist and to each other which none of the rest of us has matched.
      > I agree that a full engagement with the thoughts and feelings of the other is one of the things which make life worthwhile, but this is not easy in an age when there are so many distractions and attempts to grab our attention.
      > Like you (I believe) my primary commitment is to my children, and after that to other family members and significant others in my life. After that I have a certain commitment to certain ideals, including the ideal of intellectual integrity – to doing all I can to think clearly and consistently and to act authentically.
      > I don't think a commitment to an internet forum in itself has much intrinsic value, but if, over time, one becomes engaged in prolonged discussion and exchange of ideas with a group of likeminded individuals then a bond of friendship and solidarity can develop.
      > Perhaps you were able to engage more fully with Bill than the rest of us because your backgrounds were more similar (catholic upbringing, US culture). I was always more able to resonate with what you and Wil and Louise wrote, than I was with Bill.
      > To move outwards to Wil's more general questions, I think part of the difficulty of sustaining a group like this one is that existentialism means different things to all of us, and the narrower existentialist outlook (as growing out of the ideas of Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger, Sartre and Camus) is rather a spent force. It was the talk of the cafe bars in the 1950's, 60's and 70's, but is now not the philosophical stimulant it was then.
      > To me existentialism is the cluster of ideas that joins abstract philosophical thought with lived existence. It is difficult to write truthful existentialism without slipping into abstract philosophy (on one end) or non-philosophical comment (on the other).
      > Perhaps we (as the group of existlist current members) can achieve this ideal of engaged communication on existentialist themes.
      > Jim
    • wsindarius
      Message 77 of 77 , May 18, 2013