RE: [existlist] confused on existentialism...Pascal vs. Sartre??

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2002
      hi chiquita_chique,

      You should perhaps go to some of the existentialist sites like:

      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/index.html

      Actually, I did not realise that Blaise Pascal was considered as an
      existentialist, until you mentioned it and I went searching on the internet.

      The basic tenant of Existentialism is that one is thrown into the world,
      meaning that you are starting from scratch. This goes along with the idea
      that "existence precedes essence", which means that you first come into
      existence and then create the world around you by your choices. Personally,
      I don't go along with the "existence precedes essence" thing, But then that
      is my particular view. Unless of course, the meaning is specific to the
      essences of the individual himself/herself.