Re: The Sunset Limited

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013

      > h.
      >
      > Thanks for this critique. I found it also here and notice the author, William Quirk whom you've quoted, also makes comparisons with Beckett and Kafka. Since I'm more familiar with Camus I thought of how the play's themes contrast with his absurd 'logic' . . . will read more closely once I find the time. I've dug up an old box filled with research on a project which I put aside about 10 years ago, and it's absorbing my reading time.
      >
      > http://journals.tdl.org/cormacmccarthy/index.php/cormacmccarthy/article/view/2236/1928
      >
      > Mary

      ===
      Thanks for the link. I will read it carefully.

      h.
    • hermit crab
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
        Oh, I see now, Mary, that your link was the same text by William Quirk that
        I sent.
        I reread it anyway. Interesting stuff.
        Here's William Quirk: http://www.american.edu/cas/faculty/quirk.cfm
        And I see he has a special interest in neopragmatist Richard Rorty which
        spurred a quick google:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism
        There are endless ideas to explore. I guess as long as one realizes that
        they are all just that...ideas...and not taken too seriously, all is well.
        It's just good fun.

        h.

        " <josephson45r@...> wrote

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
          I disagree with what you've expressed here. There are different classes of ideas, some of which should be taken seriously. I suppose it's up to each of us to determine distinguish between which ones are simply fun and others which are a matter of life and death.

          Mary