Re: flux

  • William
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@> wrote:
      >
      > >No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd
      > write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is
      > what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.<
      >
      > Vicissitude is what led me to existentialism, which in itself isn't an intrinsically static philosophy. Flux doesn't preclude acts of commitment, feelings of authenticity, or even creation of meaning. Yet these aren't exclusive to existentialism. What makes existentialism a philosophy is its body of written concepts by somewhat diverse authors. Existentialism is a particular discourse about particular concepts by particular writers. Each of us here resonates with particular writers. I think Bill's request that we write comes from that individual place where if we write it, we own it. We can change our minds and even modify due to the experiences which affect us.
      >
      > Mary

      Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort. Some bad things happned but they were entirely of human origin. Viscissitude I equate with chance not any causality. The bullwork against this randomness is science for me.
      As I watch the plans to crash into a meteor to push it out of an Earth intersecting orbit I see the progress of science in opposition to what we thought was random chance. Thats progress out of the darkness and existentialism allows for that positive movement. It looks as if we might get to see a meteor hit Mars. As we have landers on Mars we might learn a good deal. Thinking of Shoemaker /Livi and the Jupiter strike I know we learned from that distant cateclism.
      You are correct Mary in that I think writing the personal philosophy grounds your thoughts and puts straight what you really consider important. I do not say anyone has to publish such a statement, I did not put mine out for years.I will say there were few changes to it in years. Just an upgrading of examples and the dropping of superfluous material. I ignore more than I used to but I appreciate solid thinking more. Therefore I will not participate in the mystical and hope bookdoc fleshes out his absurdist ideas. With her hard won knowerdge base Mary can spring up anywhere and I would not call that viscisitude but possibility. I think it should be what you know that guides you and certainly not what you fear. I write about my fears to get the monster out in the light and then he often goes away. Bill
    • existlist
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
        > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.

        ===
        No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.

        h.
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
          Ah . . . so it's the unspeakable, immutable mutable? I don't understand the point of writing this then, since in this medium to write is to speak.

          Mary

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

            > > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.
            >
            > ===
            > No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.
            >
            > h.

            h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill
          • existlist
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
              Well, Mary, it could be that there is a playfulness here and there doesn't have to be a point.

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013

                > > h.
                > >
                > h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill

                ===

                I think people become resilient during times of maximum change. Nobody is coming to save us.

                h.