Re: From the foam,Bookdoc--"work with what you got"

  • William
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <vize9938@> wrote:[...]
      > You probably are not a pounder as you say fuck. [...]
      > ===Bill,I wondered what a 'pounder' is, did some googling and found out
      > it is slang for a cop and some kind of weak athlete but I didn't think
      > you meant either of those things when you said I wasn't one. Then I
      > simple searched 'pounder, existentialism' and voila!:
      > existlist : Message: Re: Bible pounders.
      > groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/19793Apr 5, 2010 –
      > existlist: All Things Existential. ... Members: 601;
      > Category:Existentialism; Founded: Apr 16, 1999; Language: English ?
      > Already a member ... Re: Bible pounders.
      > Re: From the foam,Bookdoc--"work with what ...
      > 23, 2013
      > Re: [existlist] Bible pounders.
      > 5, 2010
      > Re: pounders and thumpers
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32566> ‎ - Jan
      > 29, 2005
      > pounders and thumpers
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32548> ‎ - Jan
      > 28, 2005
      >
      > More results from groups.yahoo.com »
      > <https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS470US470&q\
      > =+site:groups.yahoo.com+pounder,+existentialism&sa=X&ei=_8IrUbqNCc-tygHh\
      > 9IDgAQ&ved=0CDwQrQIwAA>
      >

      > No, I am not a Bible pounder. I'm not Henri the Existential House Cat
      > either.
      >
      > http://minx.cc/?post=328363
      >

      > h.
      >h. Thumpers and pounders have been subject matter for a long time. I did not know it was not broadly used.I am happy to hear you are not a pounder as they cause great trouble here and are not worth the effort with which to converse. Now we are being blocked by the mystics.
      Religion in general is problematic here and we have been attacked many many times. The attackers sometimes want to block our conversations and sometimes they want to convert us. This latest group seems to wants to monopolise the conversation but their scripts are mostly garbage to me.
      How did you come to existentialism? Have you written a personal philosophy? I am not asking you to print it here as it took me better than ten years to put mine out.
      Bookdoc is the pen name of a long time contributer. He is an absurdist . I will be happy if the mystics take a hike, they have pretty much shut this place down and like Klingons they might just move on to destroy other sites. I now expect all new members to be singular even perplexing. If they are pounders I do not respond to them. I now add mystics to my no response list. I am watching the growing crisis/scandle in the roman church. I knew the sexual crimes went high up and it appears the Pope has been caught.
      I left that wretched religion at seventeen. Should it crash and burn the world would be a better place.
      So as I know you are most concerned with security and wonder what you might consider a safe topic ? Bill

    • fictiveparrot
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
        > I suspect Bookdoc wrote or sponsered the
        > post from Exislist about the absurd man.

        It made me laugh because I hadn't even visited existlist in a number of months, and the post was brand new like a yodel that turned my head. Coincidence, obviously, but I can see where you might think I sponsored the post.

        > If I remember correctly, Bookdoc had some hard battles with Trinidad.

        We were not philosophically aligned very well. He was a violent nutjob that circumlocuted any topic as if the lack of address led to a superior position.

        I. Bookdoc
      • existlist
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013

          Bill, you asked:

          1. How did you come to existentialism?

          2. Have you written a personal philosophy?

          3. So as I know you are most concerned with security and wonder what you might consider a safe topic ?

          Lots of reading is what led me to existentialism. I remember reading a bunch of those Philosopher in 90 Minutes books about 15 years ago or so. Here's one of my favorites: http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9781566632157 Spinoza is a favorite.

          No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.

          How could a person living in this day and age using the internet not be concerned with security? All topics are safe as long as the internet is open and free. https://www.google.com/takeaction/

          Here's a link to the safest search engine in the world (so they say). It doesn't retain your IP address: https://startpage.com/eng/ (fyi)

          h.
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

            >No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd
            write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is
            what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.<

            Vicissitude is what led me to existentialism, which in itself isn't an intrinsically static philosophy. Flux doesn't preclude acts of commitment, feelings of authenticity, or even creation of meaning. Yet these aren't exclusive to existentialism. What makes existentialism a philosophy is its body of written concepts by somewhat diverse authors. Existentialism is a particular discourse about particular concepts by particular writers. Each of us here resonates with particular writers. I think Bill's request that we write comes from that individual place where if we write it, we own it. We can change our minds and even modify due to the experiences which affect us.

            Mary
          • William
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013

              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@> wrote:
              >
              > >No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd
              > write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is
              > what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.<
              >
              > Vicissitude is what led me to existentialism, which in itself isn't an intrinsically static philosophy. Flux doesn't preclude acts of commitment, feelings of authenticity, or even creation of meaning. Yet these aren't exclusive to existentialism. What makes existentialism a philosophy is its body of written concepts by somewhat diverse authors. Existentialism is a particular discourse about particular concepts by particular writers. Each of us here resonates with particular writers. I think Bill's request that we write comes from that individual place where if we write it, we own it. We can change our minds and even modify due to the experiences which affect us.
              >
              > Mary

              Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort. Some bad things happned but they were entirely of human origin. Viscissitude I equate with chance not any causality. The bullwork against this randomness is science for me.
              As I watch the plans to crash into a meteor to push it out of an Earth intersecting orbit I see the progress of science in opposition to what we thought was random chance. Thats progress out of the darkness and existentialism allows for that positive movement. It looks as if we might get to see a meteor hit Mars. As we have landers on Mars we might learn a good deal. Thinking of Shoemaker /Livi and the Jupiter strike I know we learned from that distant cateclism.
              You are correct Mary in that I think writing the personal philosophy grounds your thoughts and puts straight what you really consider important. I do not say anyone has to publish such a statement, I did not put mine out for years.I will say there were few changes to it in years. Just an upgrading of examples and the dropping of superfluous material. I ignore more than I used to but I appreciate solid thinking more. Therefore I will not participate in the mystical and hope bookdoc fleshes out his absurdist ideas. With her hard won knowerdge base Mary can spring up anywhere and I would not call that viscisitude but possibility. I think it should be what you know that guides you and certainly not what you fear. I write about my fears to get the monster out in the light and then he often goes away. Bill
            • existlist
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.

                ===
                No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.

                h.
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                  Ah . . . so it's the unspeakable, immutable mutable? I don't understand the point of writing this then, since in this medium to write is to speak.

                  Mary

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

                    > > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.
                    >
                    > ===
                    > No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.
                    >
                    > h.

                    h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill
                  • existlist
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                      Well, Mary, it could be that there is a playfulness here and there doesn't have to be a point.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013

                        > > h.
                        > >
                        > h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill

                        ===

                        I think people become resilient during times of maximum change. Nobody is coming to save us.

                        h.