From the foam,Bookdoc

  • William
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 21, 2013
      We have two interlopers here,now. Neither have anything to do with existentialism. I suspect Bookdoc wrote or sponsered the post from Exislist about the absurd man. I liked it and would ask the author his thoughts on Camus.
      When the gurus tire of writing here Some existentialists might return. That fictive parrot still contributes is a very positive sign. I think it is proposed that Trinidad was the spouse of another pivotal writer. I did not know that but if I remember correctly Bookdoc had some hard battles with Trinidad. Should he get tired of poking Dick I invite Bookdoc to my site, Neoex. I will let you in and then leave you to whatever matters you deem appropriate. Good to hear from you, Bill
    • irvhal
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 23, 2013
        Bill,

        I remember you once compared your comments here to a bottled message at sea that might be fortuitously found and enlightening to others. Now you've set up house at another board closed to public view over some unwelcomed gurus. Its been said some write for themselves and some for others, and preaching to a small choir can be boring and unchallenging (and perhaps eventually grating if it's too feminine, or if, as you once said, too "Protestant"). Bet you'll be back.

        All the best,

        Irvin

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 23, 2013
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "irvhal" <i99hj@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > I remember you once compared your comments here to a bottled message at sea that might be fortuitously found and enlightening to others. Now you've set up house at another board closed to public view over some unwelcomed gurus. Its been said some write for themselves and some for others, and preaching to a small choir can be boring and unchallenging (and perhaps eventually grating if it's too feminine, or if, as you once said, too "Protestant"). Bet you'll be back.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Irvin
          > Irvin, I have never left and have had my own site for years. I just will not waste time on that eastern ,mystical crap. We are having a most interesting discussion at Neoex. It is about the golan heights, Chaney and huge oil and gas deposites in the med and golan. These indian dorques want in but they have screwed exislist and so I will be watching them and please know I am a member of their group but they will not post what I write. Fair is fair,tit for tat. Come join neoex, I`ll let YOU in. Bill
          > >
          > > We have two interlopers here,now. Neither have anything to do with existentialism. I suspect Bookdoc wrote or sponsered the post from Exislist about the absurd man. I liked it and would ask the author his thoughts on Camus.
          > > When the gurus tire of writing here Some existentialists might return. That fictive parrot still contributes is a very positive sign. I think it is proposed that Trinidad was the spouse of another pivotal writer. I did not know that but if I remember correctly Bookdoc had some hard battles with Trinidad. Should he get tired of poking Dick I invite Bookdoc to my site, Neoex. I will let you in and then leave you to whatever matters you deem appropriate. Good to hear from you, Bill

        • existlist
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 23, 2013
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "irvhal" <i99hj@...> wrote:
            Its been said some write for themselves and some for others, and preaching to a small choir can be boring and unchallenging

            ===

            AMEN.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm16ZIM_0fM
            (Glenn Campbell Defines Existentialism from the woods of New England in a little over six minutes)

            He simplifies to such an extent that some here may not agree with his definition.

            h.
          • William
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 23, 2013

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 24, 2013
                Yes he does, and I'm one of the some.

                Mary

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Irvin,

                  Not only is Bill's group at least 10 years old, it's hardly incestuous. You shouldn't make assumptions; our members don't agree on everything...just enough to speak our minds, remain open to persuasion, and avoid Yahoo! Groups cross-posters.

                  Are your sparse offerings, especially the racist and sexist insults, designed to appear less grating? Clearly you wish to refrain from revealing your authenticity in this public forum. Perhaps you can coax the old Bill you assume has been co-opted back into your fold.

                  All the best,

                  Mary

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 24, 2013
                    > >h. Amen,what? Who are You?Hide and seek is a bit juvenile. Your style is clean and you seem to know something about existentialism.Thats nothing to be ashamed of so just write with a name, the rest of us do. Bill

                    ===

                    er...Bill?
                    'Bookdoc' is somebody's given name?
                    Call me h.
                    As an existentialist "I" will fucking decide
                    whether or not I'm going to be stupid enough to use
                    my real life name on some public internet site.
                    I wouldn't be much of an existentialist if I let
                    you decide that for me, now would I?
                    And what's with all the politics? The only people
                    you'll attract by talking about Dick Cheney is
                    people over sixty years old. Nobody cares. Younger people
                    have figured out already that the govt.
                    is full of crooks and we don't give our time and
                    attention to any of them. And what makes you think
                    that everyone on this list is American anyway and gives
                    two hoots about American politics? That's American arrogance.

                    h.
                  • existlist
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 24, 2013
                      I'm still reading and trying to get a grasp of what Existentialism means. It really doesn't matter one way or another whether I ever grasp it. It's just a concept and that's not where living is anyway.

                      h.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 24, 2013
                        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

                        > > >h. Amen,what? Who are You?Hide and seek is a bit juvenile. Your style is clean and you seem to know something about existentialism.Thats nothing to be ashamed of so just write with a name, the rest of us do. Bill
                        >
                        > ===
                        >
                        > er...Bill?
                        > 'Bookdoc' is somebody's given name?
                        > Call me h.
                        > As an existentialist "I" will fucking decide
                        > whether or not I'm going to be stupid enough to use
                        > my real life name on some public internet site.
                        > I wouldn't be much of an existentialist if I let
                        > you decide that for me, now would I?
                        > And what's with all the politics? The only people
                        > you'll attract by talking about Dick Cheney is
                        > people over sixty years old. Nobody cares. Younger people
                        > have figured out already that the govt.
                        > is full of crooks and we don't give our time and
                        > attention to any of them. And what makes you think
                        > that everyone on this list is American anyway and gives
                        > two hoots about American politics? That's American arrogance.
                        >
                        > h.
                        >Brave h, When you write you reveal. So unless you are most clever you come off as young and disaffected.You dislike the government but are afraid to show some leg. You probably are not a pounder as you say fuck. Very avant gusrde! If you write here we will figure you out, categorise you and deal with you on a very individual basis. Try to put it between the lines and this group will ferret out motives. You would do better to say what motovates your philosophy and stand behind it. You are probably not ready for that but we will see. At least you did not pick A for anonymous. You may be an interesting newbie, we will see what you got. Bill
                      • existlist
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
                          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <vize9938@...> wrote:[...]
                          You probably are not a pounder as you say fuck. [...]
                          ===Bill,I wondered what a 'pounder' is, did some googling and found out
                          it is slang for a cop and some kind of weak athlete but I didn't think
                          you meant either of those things when you said I wasn't one. Then I
                          simple searched 'pounder, existentialism' and voila!:
                          existlist : Message: Re: Bible pounders.
                          groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/19793Apr 5, 2010 –
                          existlist: All Things Existential. ... Members: 601;
                          Category:Existentialism; Founded: Apr 16, 1999; Language: English ?
                          Already a member ... Re: Bible pounders.
                          Re: From the foam,Bookdoc--"work with what ...
                          23, 2013
                          Re: [existlist] Bible pounders.
                          5, 2010
                          Re: pounders and thumpers
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32566> ‎ - Jan
                          29, 2005
                          pounders and thumpers
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32548> ‎ - Jan
                          28, 2005

                          More results from groups.yahoo.com »
                          <https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS470US470&q\
                          =+site:groups.yahoo.com+pounder,+existentialism&sa=X&ei=_8IrUbqNCc-tygHh\
                          9IDgAQ&ved=0CDwQrQIwAA>

                          No, I am not a Bible pounder. I'm not Henri the Existential House Cat
                          either.

                          http://minx.cc/?post=328363

                          h.

                        • William
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
                            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

                            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <vize9938@> wrote:[...]
                            > You probably are not a pounder as you say fuck. [...]
                            > ===Bill,I wondered what a 'pounder' is, did some googling and found out
                            > it is slang for a cop and some kind of weak athlete but I didn't think
                            > you meant either of those things when you said I wasn't one. Then I
                            > simple searched 'pounder, existentialism' and voila!:
                            > existlist : Message: Re: Bible pounders.
                            > groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/19793Apr 5, 2010 –
                            > existlist: All Things Existential. ... Members: 601;
                            > Category:Existentialism; Founded: Apr 16, 1999; Language: English ?
                            > Already a member ... Re: Bible pounders.
                            > Re: From the foam,Bookdoc--"work with what ...
                            > 23, 2013
                            > Re: [existlist] Bible pounders.
                            > 5, 2010
                            > Re: pounders and thumpers
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32566> ‎ - Jan
                            > 29, 2005
                            > pounders and thumpers
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/32548> ‎ - Jan
                            > 28, 2005
                            >
                            > More results from groups.yahoo.com »
                            > <https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS470US470&q\
                            > =+site:groups.yahoo.com+pounder,+existentialism&sa=X&ei=_8IrUbqNCc-tygHh\
                            > 9IDgAQ&ved=0CDwQrQIwAA>
                            >

                            > No, I am not a Bible pounder. I'm not Henri the Existential House Cat
                            > either.
                            >
                            > http://minx.cc/?post=328363
                            >

                            > h.
                            >h. Thumpers and pounders have been subject matter for a long time. I did not know it was not broadly used.I am happy to hear you are not a pounder as they cause great trouble here and are not worth the effort with which to converse. Now we are being blocked by the mystics.
                            Religion in general is problematic here and we have been attacked many many times. The attackers sometimes want to block our conversations and sometimes they want to convert us. This latest group seems to wants to monopolise the conversation but their scripts are mostly garbage to me.
                            How did you come to existentialism? Have you written a personal philosophy? I am not asking you to print it here as it took me better than ten years to put mine out.
                            Bookdoc is the pen name of a long time contributer. He is an absurdist . I will be happy if the mystics take a hike, they have pretty much shut this place down and like Klingons they might just move on to destroy other sites. I now expect all new members to be singular even perplexing. If they are pounders I do not respond to them. I now add mystics to my no response list. I am watching the growing crisis/scandle in the roman church. I knew the sexual crimes went high up and it appears the Pope has been caught.
                            I left that wretched religion at seventeen. Should it crash and burn the world would be a better place.
                            So as I know you are most concerned with security and wonder what you might consider a safe topic ? Bill

                          • fictiveparrot
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 25, 2013
                              > I suspect Bookdoc wrote or sponsered the
                              > post from Exislist about the absurd man.

                              It made me laugh because I hadn't even visited existlist in a number of months, and the post was brand new like a yodel that turned my head. Coincidence, obviously, but I can see where you might think I sponsored the post.

                              > If I remember correctly, Bookdoc had some hard battles with Trinidad.

                              We were not philosophically aligned very well. He was a violent nutjob that circumlocuted any topic as if the lack of address led to a superior position.

                              I. Bookdoc
                            • existlist
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013

                                Bill, you asked:

                                1. How did you come to existentialism?

                                2. Have you written a personal philosophy?

                                3. So as I know you are most concerned with security and wonder what you might consider a safe topic ?

                                Lots of reading is what led me to existentialism. I remember reading a bunch of those Philosopher in 90 Minutes books about 15 years ago or so. Here's one of my favorites: http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9781566632157 Spinoza is a favorite.

                                No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.

                                How could a person living in this day and age using the internet not be concerned with security? All topics are safe as long as the internet is open and free. https://www.google.com/takeaction/

                                Here's a link to the safest search engine in the world (so they say). It doesn't retain your IP address: https://startpage.com/eng/ (fyi)

                                h.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013
                                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

                                  >No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd
                                  write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is
                                  what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.<

                                  Vicissitude is what led me to existentialism, which in itself isn't an intrinsically static philosophy. Flux doesn't preclude acts of commitment, feelings of authenticity, or even creation of meaning. Yet these aren't exclusive to existentialism. What makes existentialism a philosophy is its body of written concepts by somewhat diverse authors. Existentialism is a particular discourse about particular concepts by particular writers. Each of us here resonates with particular writers. I think Bill's request that we write comes from that individual place where if we write it, we own it. We can change our minds and even modify due to the experiences which affect us.

                                  Mary
                                • William
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 26, 2013

                                    > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >No, I haven't written a personal philosophy because I feel that as soon as I'd
                                    > write it, it would be dead. This existence seems to be in flux. Maybe that is
                                    > what my philosophy could be. One word: Flux.<
                                    >
                                    > Vicissitude is what led me to existentialism, which in itself isn't an intrinsically static philosophy. Flux doesn't preclude acts of commitment, feelings of authenticity, or even creation of meaning. Yet these aren't exclusive to existentialism. What makes existentialism a philosophy is its body of written concepts by somewhat diverse authors. Existentialism is a particular discourse about particular concepts by particular writers. Each of us here resonates with particular writers. I think Bill's request that we write comes from that individual place where if we write it, we own it. We can change our minds and even modify due to the experiences which affect us.
                                    >
                                    > Mary

                                    Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort. Some bad things happned but they were entirely of human origin. Viscissitude I equate with chance not any causality. The bullwork against this randomness is science for me.
                                    As I watch the plans to crash into a meteor to push it out of an Earth intersecting orbit I see the progress of science in opposition to what we thought was random chance. Thats progress out of the darkness and existentialism allows for that positive movement. It looks as if we might get to see a meteor hit Mars. As we have landers on Mars we might learn a good deal. Thinking of Shoemaker /Livi and the Jupiter strike I know we learned from that distant cateclism.
                                    You are correct Mary in that I think writing the personal philosophy grounds your thoughts and puts straight what you really consider important. I do not say anyone has to publish such a statement, I did not put mine out for years.I will say there were few changes to it in years. Just an upgrading of examples and the dropping of superfluous material. I ignore more than I used to but I appreciate solid thinking more. Therefore I will not participate in the mystical and hope bookdoc fleshes out his absurdist ideas. With her hard won knowerdge base Mary can spring up anywhere and I would not call that viscisitude but possibility. I think it should be what you know that guides you and certainly not what you fear. I write about my fears to get the monster out in the light and then he often goes away. Bill
                                  • existlist
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                                      > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.

                                      ===
                                      No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.

                                      h.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                                        Ah . . . so it's the unspeakable, immutable mutable? I don't understand the point of writing this then, since in this medium to write is to speak.

                                        Mary

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                                          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "existlist" <hermitcrab65@...> wrote:

                                          > > Mary and h, Your posts are provacative of thought to me. That h fears he will croak if he creates his personal philosophy resonates with me in that when I renounced religion I figured I might get zotsed for the effort.
                                          >
                                          > ===
                                          > No, reread what I said. I am not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of "it" dying. My philosophy would die as soon as I began conjuring up words to explain it. Silence better represents my philosophy which is boundless, continually in flux, but constant. I would have to revise it each nanosecond.
                                          >
                                          > h.

                                          h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill
                                        • existlist
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013
                                            Well, Mary, it could be that there is a playfulness here and there doesn't have to be a point.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 27, 2013

                                              > > h.
                                              > >
                                              > h, ya that is different. The Byrds had that thought in "Turn turn turn" . In times of maximum change I find existentialism a big anchor . So I use it. Bill

                                              ===

                                              I think people become resilient during times of maximum change. Nobody is coming to save us.

                                              h.