The Absurd - is to be awakened

  • existlist
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2013
      Anonymous January 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
      "For the actions we take to survive are simply not compatible with the belief that nothing matters."

      Only the absurd man is free
      The absurd man revolt is not a revolt of belief or questions that "nothing matters" only that he cannot know.
      The absurd man is awake to the moment and does not appeal to the past or the future, (regret or hope) and in revolt refuses to equate any moment to meaning.
      If the moment brings satisfaction or dissatisfaction that is enough, any attachment to the moment would be a surrender of the revolt to regret, hope and meaning.
      The Absurd man is awake to the moment and does not attach himself to his limitations or capacities which are beyond him.
      The absurd man lives his life because it is his life.
      The absurd man does not identify with the ego nor does he negate it.
      The absurd man lives his life because it is his life.

      The Absurd – is to be awakened:
      Hope is a fixation on a future
      Regret a fixated on past hope
      Reason ends in paradox and requires a leap
      Theology ends in paradox and requires a leap
      Every leap is a suicide
      Expectation that the leap ends in a safe landing on firm ground is an illusion
      The leap is always into empty space, we are always falling.
      We are falling
      The Absurd holds the tension of the fall without hope, regret or meaning
      We fall
      In the revolt of that awakening the absurd man realises every moment of the fall.
      This is freedom, a free fall, and it is enough.

      A belief that nothing matters is as absurd as a belief that everything matters but that is not were an absurd man stands. The absurd man does not stand but falls.

      http://whoistheabsurdman.blogspot.com/2012/03/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-fish.html#comment-form
    • devindersingh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
        ...the characteristic mark of the group of philosophers (and mystics)
        who are nowadays making a great noise under the name of Existentialists.
        The individual personality exists, they say, and its nature is freedom.
        In other words, it chooses, as it likes, its course of life, at every
        step, and Creates its destiny. This freedom, however, may. lead man and
        will inevitably lead him, according to one section of the group, to the
        perception and realisation of God, an infinite in which the individual
        finite lives and moves and has his being; according to others, the same
        may lead to a very different consummation, to Nothingness, the Great
        Void, Nihil. The second alternative seems to be an inevitable corollary
        of the particular conception of the individual that is entertained by
        some, viz., the individual existing only in relation to individuals.
        Indeed the leader of the French school, Jean-Paul Sartre – not a
        negligible playwright and novelist – seems to conceive the
        individual as nothing more than the image formed in other individuals
        with whom he comes in contact. Existence literally means standing out or
        outside (ex+sistet), coming out of one-self and living in other's
        consciousness – as one sees one's exact image in another's eye. It
        is not however the old-world mystic experience of finding one's self in
        other selves. For here we have an exclusively level or horizontal view
        of the human personality. To be a person, it is said, one must be apart
        from the crowd. A person is the "single one", one who has attained his
        singularity, his individual wholeness. And the life's work for each
        individual person is to make the crowd no longer a crowd, but an
        association of single ones. But how can this be done? It is not simply
        by separating oneself from the crowd, by dwelling upon oneself that one
        can develop into one's true person. The individuals, even when perfect
        single ones, do not exist by themselves or in and through one another.
        The mystic or spiritual perception posits the Spirit or God, the
        All-self as the background and substance of all the selves. Indeed, it
        is only when one finds and is identified with the Divine in oneself that
        one is in a position to attain one's true selfhood and find oneself in
        other
        selves.http://sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticCont\
        ent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Nolini%20Kanta%20\
        Gupta/Volume-1/-62_The%20Sanctity%20of%20the%20Individual.html--- In

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2013
          The absurd man differs slightly from the existentialist man in that he commits to projects which have meaning for him. I do agree that 'nothing matters' is incompatible with actions to survive.

          Mary