Re: [media_monitor5] [TheBecoming] Hinduism – Religion or Dharma?

  • devindersingh gulati
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      What I have gathered so far from the discussion I summarize thus:
      The term religion is a western construct that cannot convey the  exact meaning of dharma. To be a member of a religion is akin to being  a member of a club where you follow club rules to stay in or else be thrown out. Dharma on the other hand gives you considerable leeway to follow your individual growth path so long as it is not in conflict with the growth of others similarly following their dharma without also coming in conflict with society at large.
      A sampradaya is a variation of a dharmic tradition or path that may ebb or wane over time, sometimes be totally eclipsed...to be replaced by new sampradayas; but 'sampradaya' always finds its rationale in the everlasting dharma.
      These two instances here fit neither into the mould of religion, nor of sampradaya. They find refuge in dharma:

      Gulati