Re: [existlist] authentic evil

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
      I used Moussa as an example of someone who is authentic. I am not trying to
      say that he has something in common with existentialism, other than he is
      being authentic. The point being that "authentic" can encompass bad acts.
      I don't think that there is anything in the definition of "authentic" which
      precludes that your act must be to the good.
      Its like shopping. If you define shopping as the act of getting something
      from a store, without further qualification, you can "shop" by stealing
      something or by paying for it. In the end you have gotten something out of
      the store and into your possession. You have been shopping.

      I don't think that one should link authenticity with freedom and
      responsibility. If authenticity is just a matter of doing what you think it
      really has little to do with freedom and responsibility.

      However, freedom and responsibility are qualifiers that may come into play
      when deciding a choice to action. You have freedom to choose something
      which is your character rather than to be a slave to ideology. Or you may
      choose according to your character, because you deeply believe that you are
      responsible for providing good to others. But if you are a terrorist like
      Moussa, he has already made his decision [my assumption] and is fully in
      agreement with his ideology ... because he likes to hurt people and he has
      chosen his particular ideology to facilitate his hurting people. His
      responsibility to others is twisted [again my assumption] ... because he
      sees himself as being responsible to punish people. There are a lot of
      people of that nature in the world. The tend to take on jobs like in the
      police or in ages past as a priest for the inquisition. Being responsible
      again enables his hurting others which is really what he wants to do in the
      first place.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
        Evil isn't a thing. It is an act that is committed by some people who enjoy
        being evil or convinced themselves that this is their objective. Even Jesus
        comes with a sword.