authentic evil

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
      Fair enough, eduard, there is authentic evil. It's just I've never heard anyone equate a terrorist with authenticity, freedom, and responsibility before now. I've been confused as to why you continue to use Moussa as an example of existential authenticity when he clearly has nothing in common with existentialism.

      Mary
    • devindersingh
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013
        Evil is evil, no doubt; it is not divine and it is not an illusion. It is a real blot on the fair face of creation. Its existence can­not be justified in the sense that it is the right thing and has to be welcomed and maintained, since it forms part of the universal symphony. Not even in the sense that it is a test and a trial set by the Divine for the righteous to prove their merit. It has not been put there with a set purpose, but that once given, it has been the occasion of a miracle, it offered the opportunity for the manifestation of something unique, great and grandiose, marvellous and beautiful. The presence of evil moved the Divine – Giustizia masse il mio alto Fattorel¹ – and Grace was born. He descended, the Aloof and the Transcend­ent, in all his love and compassion down into this vale of tears: he descended straight into our midst without halting anywhere in the infinite gradation that marks the distance between the highest and the lowest, he descended from the very highest into the very lowest, demanding nothing, asking for no condition whatsoever from the soul in Ignorance, from the earth under the grip of evil. Thus it was that Life lodged itself in the home of death, Light found its way into the far cavern of obscurity and inconscience, and Delight bloomed in the core of misery. Hope was lit, a flame rising from the nether gloom towards the Dawn.
        [http://sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Nolini%20Kanta%20Gupta/Volume-3/-037_The%20Role%20of%20Evil.htm]

        > Fair enough, eduard, there is authentic evil. It's just I've never heard anyone equate a terrorist with authenticity, freedom, and responsibility before now. I've been confused as to why you continue to use Moussa as an example of existential authenticity when he clearly has nothing in common with existentialism.
        >
        > Mary

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
          I used Moussa as an example of someone who is authentic. I am not trying to
          say that he has something in common with existentialism, other than he is
          being authentic. The point being that "authentic" can encompass bad acts.
          I don't think that there is anything in the definition of "authentic" which
          precludes that your act must be to the good.
          Its like shopping. If you define shopping as the act of getting something
          from a store, without further qualification, you can "shop" by stealing
          something or by paying for it. In the end you have gotten something out of
          the store and into your possession. You have been shopping.

          I don't think that one should link authenticity with freedom and
          responsibility. If authenticity is just a matter of doing what you think it
          really has little to do with freedom and responsibility.

          However, freedom and responsibility are qualifiers that may come into play
          when deciding a choice to action. You have freedom to choose something
          which is your character rather than to be a slave to ideology. Or you may
          choose according to your character, because you deeply believe that you are
          responsible for providing good to others. But if you are a terrorist like
          Moussa, he has already made his decision [my assumption] and is fully in
          agreement with his ideology ... because he likes to hurt people and he has
          chosen his particular ideology to facilitate his hurting people. His
          responsibility to others is twisted [again my assumption] ... because he
          sees himself as being responsible to punish people. There are a lot of
          people of that nature in the world. The tend to take on jobs like in the
          police or in ages past as a priest for the inquisition. Being responsible
          again enables his hurting others which is really what he wants to do in the
          first place.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
            Evil isn't a thing. It is an act that is committed by some people who enjoy
            being evil or convinced themselves that this is their objective. Even Jesus
            comes with a sword.