Re: Existentialist Concepts?

  • devindersingh
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
      There are, according to Sri Aurobindo, three stages that cover the entire process of manifestation that is relevant to evolution. An involution of the spirit in the inconscience is the beginning;
      evolution in the ignorance with its play of possibilities of a partial developing knowledge is the middle; a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination. It may be argued that the two stages that have already occurred seem at first sight to deny the possibility of the later consummating state of the cycle, but it is stressed that logically they imply its emergence. For, it is argued, if the inconscience has evolved consciousness, the partial consciousness already reached must surely evolve into complete consciousness, considering that just as the impulse towards Mind ranges from the more sensitive reactions of Life in the metal and the plant up to its full organization in man, so in man himself there is the same ascending series, the preparation, if nothing more, of a higher and divine life. It is, therefore, contended that it is a supramentalised, perfected and divinized life for which the earth-nature is secretly seeking, and that a progressive manifestation of this kind can only have for its secret or significance, the evolution of a Being in a perfect Becoming.
      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-03_Yoga%20and%20Evolution.htm#Evolution_and_Human_Progress]
      According to Sri Aurobindo, the present age of human development has a possibility of becoming a gate for the arrival of a Spiritual Age in which the ideal of brotherhood can come to be practised; it is only in that condition that a new form of human unity can be forged in which the individual and the collectivity, even on a global scale of organization, can come to be harmonized. In the meantime, however, it is to be realized that the advent of the Spiritual Age and even a transition to that advent is bound to be difficult, and it is, in fact, riddled with a series of crisis. And there are deeper reasons for this crisis.
      Sri Aurobindo considers the present stage of crisis as an evolutionary crisis in which the human will is called upon to make a free choice. This is the crisis where the human reason has evolved up to a point where it is obliged to play the role of lifting up humanity to create a life of unity, mutuality and harmony. On the other hand, there is a force that is striving to assert stark barbarism which has still survived in the civilized man. There is thus an acute conflict between the ideals of Reason and the gravitational pull of barbarism supported by Unreason. Within the larger framework of this conflict, there are three alternative possibilities, which are also in conflict with each other. For it is possible that the humankind may be able to utilize the present scientific and technical knowledge to such an extent that an order of existence can be created in which physical and vital wants of the human being can greatly, if not fully, be satisfied, and it may also be conceived that this order of existence can be maintained by mechanical devices and application of the power of machines. This possibility may push humanity to the creation of a framework that can be sustained only by the imprisonment of the human spirit. There is also a second alternative in which human reason can continue to spin out larger or narrower circles propounding great dreams but find itself unable to fulfill them. But there is also a third alternative in which the human beings might consent to rise to the higher levels than those of the Reason and consent to be spiritualized.
      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-04_Human%20History%20and%20the%20Problems%20of%20the%20Harmony.htm#Contemporary_Evolutionary_Crisis]

      > [The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual evolution]
      >
      > In brief, what you are saying is that humanity is evolving. We already know
      > that ... even if one were to accept that it is an evolution towards a cosmic
      > consciousness.
      >
      > That doesn't answer the question of what is the "meaning". Am I here for
      > some particular purpose or reason?? What is there in all this for the
      > individual??
      >
      > If the end point is to be able to link our consciousness with a cosmic
      > consciousness, why is this important? If for some reason we do not reach
      > that point ... so what? And who or what is monitoring our progress?
      >

      > eduard

    • Dick.
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
        You are WRONG. Conscious experience is a part of what we ARE. But you rely on beliefs and what you THINK as the arbiter of truth. And which is idiotic rubbish and diatribe. You do not exist because you think and believe that you exist. And religion has plainly fucked America up good and proper. Brainwashed to the core. I did read that ages ago by the way.

        Dick Richardson

        > >Dick, read the existentail primer. It is not too long and is very concise and direct. CSW has continually updated it . You need not task us on our own site when the whole philosophy is well outlined by the Owner. Bill

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2013
          [a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and
          self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination]

          One could very well propose that there is an evolution of humanity [assuming
          we will last much longer to actually evolve further], since we already know
          that is what is happening.

          But your previous statement was that there is a meaning in the cosmos. So,
          what is that meaning??

          If the meaning is that humans should arise and somehow reach a level of
          divine being ... why?? Did the cosmos in its origin of the Big Bang also at
          the time have a focus upon a humanity which would not appear for another 12
          billion years or so??

> [...]
          >
          > [The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual
          > evolution]
          >
          > In brief, what you are saying is that humanity is evolving. We already
          > know
          > that ... even if one were to accept that it is an evolution towards a
          > cosmic
          > consciousness.
          >
          > That doesn't answer the question of what is the "meaning". Am I here for
          > some particular purpose or reason?? What is there in all this for the
          > individual??
          >
          > If the end point is to be able to link our consciousness with a cosmic
          > consciousness, why is this important? If for some reason we do not reach
          > that point ... so what? And who or what is monitoring our progress?

        • devindersingh
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2013
            The origin, the continent, the initial and the ultimate reality of all that is in the cosmos is the triune principle of transcendent and infinite Existence, Consciousness and Bliss which is the nature of divine being. Consciousness has two aspects, illuminating and effective, state and power of self-awareness and state and power of self-force, by which Being possesses itself whether in its static condition or in its dynamic movement; for in its creative action it knows by omnipotent self-consciousness all that is latent within it and produces and governs the universe of its potentialities by an omniscient self-energy. The creation depends on and moves between the biune principle of unity and multiplicity; it is a manifoldness of idea and force and form which is the expression of an original unity, and it is an eternal oneness which is the foundation and reality of the multiple worlds and makes their play possible.
            Then we perceive that our existence is a sort of refraction of the divine existence, in inverted order of ascent and descent, thus ranged,—
            Existence Matter
            Consciousness-Force Life
            Bliss Psyche
            Supermind Mind.
            The Divine descends from pure existence through the play of Consciousness-Force and Bliss and the creative medium of Supermind into cosmic being; we ascend from Matter through a developing life, soul and mind and the illuminating medium of Supermind towards the divine being.
            [http://search.sriaurobindoashram.info/Document.aspx?uri=http://sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-01%20Works%20of%20Sri%20Aurobindo/-01%20English/-01_SABCL/-18_The%20Life%20Divine_Volume-18/-28_The%20Sevenfold%20Chord%20of%20Being%20.htm]

            > [a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and
            > self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination]
            >
            > One could very well propose that there is an evolution of humanity [assuming
            > we will last much longer to actually evolve further], since we already know
            > that is what is happening.
            >
            > But your previous statement was that there is a meaning in the cosmos. So,
            > what is that meaning??
            >
            > If the meaning is that humans should arise and somehow reach a level of
            > divine being ... why?? Did the cosmos in its origin of the Big Bang also at
            > the time have a focus upon a humanity which would not appear for another 12
            > billion years or so??
            >
            > eduard

          • devindersingh
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 10, 2013
              Watch 13 minutes of this video from minute 21.13
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrsC3ExkVQ
              Can you find an existential meaning in it?