meaninglessness

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
      The attribution of this concept is probably more attributable to nihilism which is itself also confused with existentialism. Here too Nietzsche's philosophy, as Camus', is arguably misrepresented as a negation of all values and left as simply that. However this negation is not an annihilation. Rather it is more an 'alchemical' process of destruction with the intention of creation of individual values, not the negation of all meaning.

      Mary
    • William
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
          Bill,
          The foremost mistake non-existential thinkers make participating here is telling someone what their meaning should be. I think the only thinkers who've given us a workout were those who dwelt in nihilist or absurd perspectives.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013

            > Bill,
            > The foremost mistake non-existential thinkers make participating here is telling someone what their meaning should be. I think the only thinkers who've given us a workout were those who dwelt in nihilist or absurd perspectives.
            >
            > Mary
            >Mary, This Indian guy is not one I will engage. Mystic religions have no interest for me.He seems very deep into the ancient versions and the updated cosmic apperations. Way back in my seeker days I looked at the eastern religions but I was far into science and the eastern philosophies as put forward in Hair and the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Were fun but just had no depth.
            An absurdist like we entertained a few years ago could have been seen to run into Camus until you found out he did not accept any reality including grounded sense knowledge. The vast jargon of eastern mysticism , slowly accumulated over many centuries can leave you talking about their topics for the rest of your life.
            Dick presented a similar problem with his unlimited hard drive potential. I`ll talk to him about modern subjects but once the hard drive kicks in I just drop it. I liked it when the guru proclaimed he was making existential statements . He dangles many hooks but having listned to many of this sort of messanger/seers I would suggest he get back to the banks of the Ganges and burn some ancestors.When I think of the millions of people who have lived lives of mystical stupidity I recoil at what these masters of mumbo have done.So I do not give him respect, I do the coldest thing available,I ignore him. He is like a tnnkling bell on an elephants collar. He is nothing but the elephant can run you over. Bill
            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The attribution of this concept is probably more attributable to nihilism which is itself also confused with existentialism. Here too Nietzsche's philosophy, as Camus', is arguably misrepresented as a negation of all values and left as simply that. However this negation is not an annihilation. Rather it is more an 'alchemical' process of destruction with the intention of creation of individual values, not the negation of all meaning.
            > > >
            > > > Mary
            > > >Mary, you are not going anywhere with this eastern spirtualist. All the crap about planes and spirit and cosmic consciousness is just bunk. You and Eduard have it right and this guru just wants a few more followers for him to enlighten . I certainly do not agree with him and do not wish him any success in gaining any more followers or status. Clowns like him have poisened the world for ages.These eastern yogi sorts try to use peace and love rather than fear and punishment. One is as bad as the other since they both spring from a desire to control others and take away their individualism and place them in a cosmic consciousness . I will not speak his jargon and hope he just floats away into a perfumed cloud. He does not belong here even as a flat sounding board. Bill

          • eduardathome
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
              I don't mind listening for a while for some of this stuff. Perhaps there's
              something to learn. Albeit, most often not.

              I am always open to someone who thinks they have the "meaning" of life that
              is useable by the individual.