Re: Existentialist Concepts?

  • William
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2013
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dick." wrote:

      > Existentialist Concepts?
      >
      > [ Eduard, Agreed. We don't know how a zealot or sadist makes decisions. Existentialist context is for existentialists, and there don't seem to be many left anymore. It's pointless to argue whether anyone else is acting authentically. I don't think anyone is inherently anything, and I'm not accommodating terrorists by suggesting they're bound to an ideology. Are there any existentialists concepts you agree with? Mary ]
      >
      > Well he is certainly right on that at least, they are brainwashed by an ideology. However, do a numbered list of what you see as being THE Existentialists Concepts and we can go though them one at a time. I read them all many years ago and was most amazingly unimpressed and downright bloody bored stiff. My own existentialist outlook is only one concept – I exists so what is it all about and what does life offer in the way of experience. I was asking that question, in a less sophisticated way, when I was three. So, what does it have to offer us? What have you found? I have told what I found (six books and a hundred poems and thousands of letters and emails). Now you have a go. Or are you like the gnostics and who say that they will not tell?
      >
      > Dick Richardson
      >Dick, read the existentail primer. It is not too long and is very concise and direct. CSW has continually updated it . You need not task us on our own site when the whole philosophy is well outlined by the Owner. Bill
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2013
        The way I see it, THE concept(s) is that you are alive and in being alive
        you make choices that can result in happiness [or whatever you may wish to
        call it] rather than misery. There is no alternative to living other than
        to commit suicide in which case the question of what is the concept is moot
        ... you are dead and not in a position to question anything. Dead people
        are ... well ... dead. Oh, you should also make choices which are of some
        help to the humanity around you, rather than to just filling some space and
        using up oxygen.

        If any of this matches something in Existentialism, I'm for it.

        The Lady Presenter in the Monty Python movie got it right .....

        "M-hmm. Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people,
        avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in,
        and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and
        nations."

        > [ Eduard, Agreed. We don't know how a zealot or sadist makes decisions.
        > Existentialist context is for existentialists, and there don't seem to be
        > many left anymore. It's pointless to argue whether anyone else is acting
        > authentically. I don't think anyone is inherently anything, and I'm not
        > accommodating terrorists by suggesting they're bound to an ideology. Are
        > there any existentialists concepts you agree with? Mary ]
        >
        > Well he is certainly right on that at least, they are brainwashed by an
        > ideology. However, do a numbered list of what you see as being THE
        > Existentialists Concepts and we can go though them one at a time. I read
        > them all many years ago and was most amazingly unimpressed and downright
        > bloody bored stiff. My own existentialist outlook is only one concept – I
        > exists so what is it all about and what does life offer in the way of
        > experience. I was asking that question, in a less sophisticated way, when
        > I was three. So, what does it have to offer us? What have you found? I
        > have told what I found (six books and a hundred poems and thousands of
        > letters and emails). Now you have a go. Or are you like the gnostics and
        > who say that they will not tell?
        >
        > Dick Richardson
        >Dick, read the existentail primer. It is not too long and is very concise
        >and direct. CSW has continually updated it . You need not task us on our
        >own site when the whole philosophy is well outlined by the Owner. Bill

      • devindersingh
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
          would I agree with Camus that life is absurd? Life has a purpose.
          Is the cosmos meaningless, as expressed by various thinkers called "Existentialists". I think not.
          > Dick: I exist so what is it all about and what does life offer in the way of experience.
          This talk considers Sri Aurobindo's spiritual experiences.
          The presentation is partly based on Dr. Debashish Banerji's recently published book "Seven Quartets of Becoming: A Transformative Yoga Psychology based on the Diaries of Sri Aurobindo".

          Dr. Debashish Banerji is a Dean of academic affairs at the University of philosophical research in Los Angeles:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Xhzui09n8Z0&feature=endscreen

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
            [Is the cosmos meaningless, as expressed by various thinkers called
            "Existentialists". I think not. ]

            If the cosmos has meaning, then what is this meaning?? And for this the
            meaning should be a meaning for the individual. What does all this mean to
            me. That is the issue. It is pointless to say that the cosmos has meaning
            if this is not a meaning for the individual.

            So Debashish if you think the cosmos has meaning, please tell what is the
            meaning.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
              The meaning for you Eduard is this:Each plane that emerges in the
              evolution contains the seed of the following planes. So the plane of
              matter which emerges first contains the seed of the planes of life and
              mind. Each planes also has involved in it even higher planes, including
              the planes of the spirit. The spirit is involved in all the planes that
              emerge. One of the goals of life is for us to enable the spirit to
              emerge in matter, life, and mind. That is one of our roles of destiny;
              to release the spirit in all things.

              Life is involved in Matter; Mind is involved in Life; and Supermind in
              Mind. (Actually Mind is involved in Matter and Life, and Supermind in
              all three.)There is a process of unfolding of one plane from the
              previous plane. One plane emerges from the previous because it is
              already involved there as potential; and under the right circumstances
              emerges to the next highest plane. However, what really compels the
              emergence of the next plane is the underlying spirit that is embedded in
              each plane, pushing that plane's potential to emerge from its current
              plane into the next plane. Since spirit is infinitely creative, what
              emerges in the next plane is dynamically new and creative; what could
              not be conceived. http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/Creation.htm
              What then is the next step of your evolution Eduard?The ordinary human
              consciousness is confined to one's own individual consciousness.
              That is, we are directly aware of only our own thoughts, feelings and
              sensations. What lie outside our personal consciousness—the
              consciousness of other beings and things in the world—are
              apprehended by us only indirectly, through external sense contacts,
              emotional empathy or mental inference. However, the personal
              consciousness of our separate individual self is part of and one with
              the consciousness of the Cosmic Self. Our individual physical, vital and
              mental consciousness is derived from and is a part of a universal
              physical, vital and mental consciousness. But there is a wall of
              Ignorance between the individual consciousness and the universal
              consciousness. Consequently, the individual self feels itself to be
              separate from the universe. By means of a spiritual discipline our
              ordinary consciousness, which is more or less gross and dense, becomes
              more subtle and is able to perceive what lies outside our individual
              consciousness more directly through an inner perception. It becomes a
              direct perception of consciousness all around us through our own
              consciousness. Further, by a widening of the individual consciousness,
              it extends itself progressively so as finally to be identified with the
              consciousness of the universe, seeing oneself in everything in the
              cosmos and everything in the cosmos in oneself. One is then said to have
              cosmic consciousness. Thus, "When one has the cosmic consciousness,
              one can feel the cosmic Self as one's own self, one can feel one with
              other beings in the cosmos, one can feel all the forces of Nature as
              moving in oneself, all selves as one's own self" (1972d, p.
              1071).http://www.ipi.org.in/texts/ipyc/ipyc-full/asdalal.php
              The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual
              evolution:http://www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/AurobindoMother/TheLifeDiv\
              ine/HTML/LifeDivineIntro.htm --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com,

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                This is a gross misrepresentation of both Camus and the body of existentialist thinking. Camus' logic of the absurd is not meaninglessness, and other writers do not insist that life is without significance. They offer differing views, but on the whole express that each person creates meaning through their choices and actions. Just as authentic persons may choose their given culture after thoughtful consideration, they may also accept its given meaning. However, the freedom and responsibility to accept and/or create belongs to each person.

                Mary

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                  I have simply taken from what is put out by the existlist owner in the FAQ LINKS. He however does tell us his material does not serve as a study list for existentialism. I can go along with your clarification though I do see there is no unanimity about authenticity either.

                  It means then, my submission is a genuine existentialist idea.

                  Gulati

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                    [The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual evolution]

                    In brief, what you are saying is that humanity is evolving. We already know
                    that ... even if one were to accept that it is an evolution towards a cosmic
                    consciousness.

                    That doesn't answer the question of what is the "meaning". Am I here for
                    some particular purpose or reason?? What is there in all this for the
                    individual??

                    If the end point is to be able to link our consciousness with a cosmic
                    consciousness, why is this important? If for some reason we do not reach
                    that point ... so what? And who or what is monitoring our progress?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                      There are, according to Sri Aurobindo, three stages that cover the entire process of manifestation that is relevant to evolution. An involution of the spirit in the inconscience is the beginning;
                      evolution in the ignorance with its play of possibilities of a partial developing knowledge is the middle; a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination. It may be argued that the two stages that have already occurred seem at first sight to deny the possibility of the later consummating state of the cycle, but it is stressed that logically they imply its emergence. For, it is argued, if the inconscience has evolved consciousness, the partial consciousness already reached must surely evolve into complete consciousness, considering that just as the impulse towards Mind ranges from the more sensitive reactions of Life in the metal and the plant up to its full organization in man, so in man himself there is the same ascending series, the preparation, if nothing more, of a higher and divine life. It is, therefore, contended that it is a supramentalised, perfected and divinized life for which the earth-nature is secretly seeking, and that a progressive manifestation of this kind can only have for its secret or significance, the evolution of a Being in a perfect Becoming.
                      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-03_Yoga%20and%20Evolution.htm#Evolution_and_Human_Progress]
                      According to Sri Aurobindo, the present age of human development has a possibility of becoming a gate for the arrival of a Spiritual Age in which the ideal of brotherhood can come to be practised; it is only in that condition that a new form of human unity can be forged in which the individual and the collectivity, even on a global scale of organization, can come to be harmonized. In the meantime, however, it is to be realized that the advent of the Spiritual Age and even a transition to that advent is bound to be difficult, and it is, in fact, riddled with a series of crisis. And there are deeper reasons for this crisis.
                      Sri Aurobindo considers the present stage of crisis as an evolutionary crisis in which the human will is called upon to make a free choice. This is the crisis where the human reason has evolved up to a point where it is obliged to play the role of lifting up humanity to create a life of unity, mutuality and harmony. On the other hand, there is a force that is striving to assert stark barbarism which has still survived in the civilized man. There is thus an acute conflict between the ideals of Reason and the gravitational pull of barbarism supported by Unreason. Within the larger framework of this conflict, there are three alternative possibilities, which are also in conflict with each other. For it is possible that the humankind may be able to utilize the present scientific and technical knowledge to such an extent that an order of existence can be created in which physical and vital wants of the human being can greatly, if not fully, be satisfied, and it may also be conceived that this order of existence can be maintained by mechanical devices and application of the power of machines. This possibility may push humanity to the creation of a framework that can be sustained only by the imprisonment of the human spirit. There is also a second alternative in which human reason can continue to spin out larger or narrower circles propounding great dreams but find itself unable to fulfill them. But there is also a third alternative in which the human beings might consent to rise to the higher levels than those of the Reason and consent to be spiritualized.
                      [http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Kireet%20Joshi/Integral%20yoga%20and%20Evollutionary%20Mutation/-04_Human%20History%20and%20the%20Problems%20of%20the%20Harmony.htm#Contemporary_Evolutionary_Crisis]

                      > [The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual evolution]
                      >
                      > In brief, what you are saying is that humanity is evolving. We already know
                      > that ... even if one were to accept that it is an evolution towards a cosmic
                      > consciousness.
                      >
                      > That doesn't answer the question of what is the "meaning". Am I here for
                      > some particular purpose or reason?? What is there in all this for the
                      > individual??
                      >
                      > If the end point is to be able to link our consciousness with a cosmic
                      > consciousness, why is this important? If for some reason we do not reach
                      > that point ... so what? And who or what is monitoring our progress?
                      >

                      > eduard

                    • Dick.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 8, 2013
                        You are WRONG. Conscious experience is a part of what we ARE. But you rely on beliefs and what you THINK as the arbiter of truth. And which is idiotic rubbish and diatribe. You do not exist because you think and believe that you exist. And religion has plainly fucked America up good and proper. Brainwashed to the core. I did read that ages ago by the way.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 9, 2013
                          [a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and
                          self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination]

                          One could very well propose that there is an evolution of humanity [assuming
                          we will last much longer to actually evolve further], since we already know
                          that is what is happening.

                          But your previous statement was that there is a meaning in the cosmos. So,
                          what is that meaning??

                          If the meaning is that humans should arise and somehow reach a level of
                          divine being ... why?? Did the cosmos in its origin of the Big Bang also at
                          the time have a focus upon a humanity which would not appear for another 12
                          billion years or so??

> [...]
                          >
                          > [The purpose of the creation of the cosmos is your own individual
                          > evolution]
                          >
                          > In brief, what you are saying is that humanity is evolving. We already
                          > know
                          > that ... even if one were to accept that it is an evolution towards a
                          > cosmic
                          > consciousness.
                          >
                          > That doesn't answer the question of what is the "meaning". Am I here for
                          > some particular purpose or reason?? What is there in all this for the
                          > individual??
                          >
                          > If the end point is to be able to link our consciousness with a cosmic
                          > consciousness, why is this important? If for some reason we do not reach
                          > that point ... so what? And who or what is monitoring our progress?

                        • devindersingh
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 9, 2013
                            The origin, the continent, the initial and the ultimate reality of all that is in the cosmos is the triune principle of transcendent and infinite Existence, Consciousness and Bliss which is the nature of divine being. Consciousness has two aspects, illuminating and effective, state and power of self-awareness and state and power of self-force, by which Being possesses itself whether in its static condition or in its dynamic movement; for in its creative action it knows by omnipotent self-consciousness all that is latent within it and produces and governs the universe of its potentialities by an omniscient self-energy. The creation depends on and moves between the biune principle of unity and multiplicity; it is a manifoldness of idea and force and form which is the expression of an original unity, and it is an eternal oneness which is the foundation and reality of the multiple worlds and makes their play possible.
                            Then we perceive that our existence is a sort of refraction of the divine existence, in inverted order of ascent and descent, thus ranged,—
                            Existence Matter
                            Consciousness-Force Life
                            Bliss Psyche
                            Supermind Mind.
                            The Divine descends from pure existence through the play of Consciousness-Force and Bliss and the creative medium of Supermind into cosmic being; we ascend from Matter through a developing life, soul and mind and the illuminating medium of Supermind towards the divine being.
                            [http://search.sriaurobindoashram.info/Document.aspx?uri=http://sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=/_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-01%20Works%20of%20Sri%20Aurobindo/-01%20English/-01_SABCL/-18_The%20Life%20Divine_Volume-18/-28_The%20Sevenfold%20Chord%20of%20Being%20.htm]

                            > [a consummation in a deployment of the spirit's self knowledge and
                            > self-power of its divine being and consciousness is the culmination]
                            >
                            > One could very well propose that there is an evolution of humanity [assuming
                            > we will last much longer to actually evolve further], since we already know
                            > that is what is happening.
                            >
                            > But your previous statement was that there is a meaning in the cosmos. So,
                            > what is that meaning??
                            >
                            > If the meaning is that humans should arise and somehow reach a level of
                            > divine being ... why?? Did the cosmos in its origin of the Big Bang also at
                            > the time have a focus upon a humanity which would not appear for another 12
                            > billion years or so??
                            >
                            > eduard

                          • devindersingh
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 10, 2013
                              Watch 13 minutes of this video from minute 21.13
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrsC3ExkVQ
                              Can you find an existential meaning in it?