Re: [existlist] Re: The boy in the hole

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2013
      I don't think I said that .... not doing anything is a path of equal value
      because we can't guarantee the outcome. I think I said that we get caught
      in a progressive loss of liberty because we accept that a particular event
      is serious enough in that it has gone viral in the media. The objective of
      the media is, however, to make money. Gun killing in the US is a serious
      problem, but we have to be careful of our response.

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 5, 2013
        Religious zealots are very authentic. They aren't borrowing from the public
        trough but are twisted all on their own. Granted Moussa got his training in
        Saudi, but he was already twisted when he chose to go there for training in
        the first place. It was only a matter of choosing the best place to get
        what he already agreed with.

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 5, 2013
          You're conflating, or once again trying to reduce to the simplistic, the common meaning of the word authentic with existential authenticity. Zealots are not existentially authentic; they're not capable of bad faith, because they adhere to an ideology. To state that evil people are authentic is meaningless in an existential context.

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
            Interesting.

            Why is it "bad faith"?? If a sadist harms others, how can it be bad faith
            since (1) he wants to harm you, and (2) he does harm you. It would be
            different if he doesn't want to harm you, but does so because he thinks it
            is required of him and decides some self justification.

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
              I already explained how zealots aren't capable of bad faith. Now you've turned to sadists as examples of authentic evil. A sadist is probably a good example of someone choosing authentically, because he may justify according to his freedom to choose what he wants. You don't get it. Bad faith is acting against your own sense of freedom to make a different choice, a choice not based on ideology. The zealot isn't free to deliberate with himself; he follows an ideology rather than questioning himself. Bad faith is knowing something about yourself and then acting against that knowledge. It's choosing to ignore and wanting to ignore something essential about yourself but then acting contrary to it. I vaguely recall that Beauvoir wrote about Sade using this argument. I don't understand how a sadist's existential authenticity is the same as a zealot's except perhaps their outcomes, but just because an outcome looks the same, doesn't mean their motives were.

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                Correction: I meant to say, It's choosing to ignore something essential about yourself and acting contrary to that something.

                > I already explained how zealots aren't capable of bad faith. Now you've turned to sadists as examples of authentic evil. A sadist is probably a good example of someone choosing authentically, because he may justify according to his freedom to choose what he wants. You don't get it. Bad faith is acting against your own sense of freedom to make a different choice, a choice not based on ideology. The zealot isn't free to deliberate with himself; he follows an ideology rather than questioning himself. Bad faith is knowing something about yourself and then acting against that knowledge. It's choosing to ignore and wanting to ignore something essential about yourself but then acting contrary to it. I vaguely recall that Beauvoir wrote about Sade using this argument. I don't understand how a sadist's existential authenticity is the same as a zealot's except perhaps their outcomes, but just because an outcome looks the same, doesn't mean their motives were.
                >
                > Mary
              • eduardathome
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                  I do get it.

                  I agree that Bad faith is knowing something about yourself and then acting
                  against that knowledge.

                  I'm just pointing out that Moussa in Mali would not be acting in bad faith,
                  since he IS evil. Therefore, he acts authentically.

                  Your comment ... "To state that evil people are authentic is meaningless in
                  an existential context" ... seems to imply that only good people can be
                  authentic in an existential context. Why?? If authenticity is acting
                  according to your knowledge of yourself, then surely this formula would
                  apply as well to evil people.

                  I already explained how zealots aren't capable of bad faith. Now you've
                  turned to sadists as examples of authentic evil. A sadist is probably a good
                  example of someone choosing authentically, because he may justify according
                  to his freedom to choose what he wants. You don't get it. Bad faith is
                  acting against your own sense of freedom to make a different choice, a
                  choice not based on ideology. The zealot isn't free to deliberate with
                  himself; he follows an ideology rather than questioning himself. Bad faith
                  is knowing something about yourself and then acting against that knowledge.
                  It's choosing to ignore and wanting to ignore something essential about
                  yourself but then acting contrary to it. I vaguely recall that Beauvoir
                  wrote about Sade using this argument. I don't understand how a sadist's
                  existential authenticity is the same as a zealot's except perhaps their
                  outcomes, but just because an outcome looks the same, doesn't mean their
                  motives were.

                  > Interesting.
                  >
                  > Why is it "bad faith"?? If a sadist harms others, how can it be bad faith
                  > since (1) he wants to harm you, and (2) he does harm you. It would be
                  > different if he doesn't want to harm you, but does so because he thinks it
                  > is required of him and decides some self justification.
                  >
                  > eduard
                • eduardathome
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                    Even then the evil person is acting in an existential context. They know
                    they are evil. One cannot say that they are essentially good and are
                    ignoring the fact. That is why it is impossible to deal with these people
                    in a rational manner. You can't connect with their good side because they
                    don't have a good side, ignored or otherwise.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                      No you don't. A zealot terrorist doesn't believe he's evil. He think's he's doing the will of his god. He's acting authentically according to his own perceived goodness, but it's not an existential authenticity because he isn't acting freely. You're confusing the fact that we consider him evil with the fact that he considers himself good. Two different things.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                        Only the person thinking existentially is thinking in an existentialist context. Existentialism is a discourse formed by philosophers who put forth certain concepts. Bad faith and authenticity is once such concept, and it only matters to an existentialist thinker.

                        > Even then the evil person is acting in an existential context. They know
                        > they are evil. One cannot say that they are essentially good and are
                        > ignoring the fact. That is why it is impossible to deal with these people
                        > in a rational manner. You can't connect with their good side because they
                        > don't have a good side, ignored or otherwise.
                        >
                        > eduard

                      • eduardathome
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                          Perhaps I don't.

                          But, how can you say that "he isn't acting freely". Surely he must be. He
                          indeed acts according to his own perceived goodness. So if he acts in
                          according to what he thinks, he is then doing so in good faith. But deeper
                          than that, he is accepting to go by the evil of his god because he already
                          is evil. For example, his god [through sharia law] says you should cut off
                          a hand and foot of a thief. He accepts this particular direction, because,
                          he is already inclined to harm others. The law simply suits what he is
                          already inclined. The Islamic nut doesn't have an internal conflict, in
                          that he knows he shouldn't harm people, but his religion is telling him to
                          do so.

                          You are accommodating the terrorist by making your own judgement of what he
                          thinks. As long as he accepts a direction from outside, he is doing good.
                          On that basis there would be no bad faith, since everyone who is doing evil
                          must accept it and thus are doing what they consider as good. The 65 year
                          old Dykes was acting in good faith by kidnapping that boy. He wanted to
                          kidnap the boy and he did so. He is being authentic in an existential
                          context ... which was my point from the beginning in regard to Moussa in
                          Mali, although I prefer to say he is inherently evil. You want to say that
                          inherently he is good, but just happens to accept an outside direction to do
                          evil.

                          No you don't. A zealot terrorist doesn't believe he's evil. He think's he's
                          doing the will of his god. He's acting authentically according to his own
                          perceived goodness, but it's not an existential authenticity because he
                          isn't acting freely. You're confusing the fact that we consider him evil
                          with the fact that he considers himself good. Two different things.

                          > I do get it.
                          >
                          > I agree that Bad faith is knowing something about yourself and then acting
                          > against that knowledge.
                          >
                          > I'm just pointing out that Moussa in Mali would not be acting in bad
                          > faith,
                          > since he IS evil. Therefore, he acts authentically.
                          >
                          > Your comment ... "To state that evil people are authentic is meaningless
                          > in
                          > an existential context" ... seems to imply that only good people can be
                          > authentic in an existential context. Why?? If authenticity is acting
                          > according to your knowledge of yourself, then surely this formula would
                          > apply as well to evil people.
                          >
                          > eduard

                        • eduardathome
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                            [You don't get it. Bad faith is acting against your own sense of freedom to
                            make a different
                            choice, a choice not based on ideology. The zealot isn't free to
                            deliberate with himself; he follows an ideology rather than questioning
                            himself. Bad faith is knowing something about yourself and then acting
                            against that knowledge. It's choosing to ignore and wanting to ignore
                            something essential about yourself but then acting contrary to it. ]

                            I don't see how a zealot who does violence against others is any different
                            from a sadist who does the same. The zealot may be following direction from
                            his religion, but he has made that choice already. Effectively the zealot
                            who does violence is a sadist who has found a particular religious direction
                            to be suitable for his own character. Both are acting authentically
                            according to an existential context. Both are acting according to their
                            perception of what is good [for them].

                            I don't think that one can say that a zealot isn't free to deliberate with
                            himself. You are suggesting that if he had a chance to deliberate, then he
                            would not be a zealot. At least not a zealot who does violence. But people
                            who are such zealots are already of a type who likes violence. The religion
                            only provides an avenue for doing so. Moussa is basically evil and his
                            religion enables him to do violence which he enjoys. He is acting
                            authentically.

                            Only the person thinking existentially is thinking in an existentialist
                            context. Existentialism is a discourse formed by philosophers who put forth
                            certain concepts. Bad faith and authenticity is once such concept, and it
                            only matters to an existentialist thinker.

                            > Even then the evil person is acting in an existential context. They know
                            > they are evil. One cannot say that they are essentially good and are
                            > ignoring the fact. That is why it is impossible to deal with these people
                            > in a rational manner. You can't connect with their good side because they
                            > don't have a good side, ignored or otherwise.
                            >
                            > eduard

                          • Murad Baig
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 6, 2013
                              Zealots are passionate but seldom wise.

                              Read this extract from a book I am writing.

                              Murad

                              ... Although these five were the main architects of
                              religion, religions were also shaped and distorted by a huge number of
                              passionate revisionists who ardently believed that God had personally given
                              them a divine mission to reform or redirect their interpretations of their
                              faiths. It is quite astonishing how a few, sometimes unbalanced, men were to
                              completely alter their religions and sometimes even create completely new
                              religions or major schisms within established religions.

                              One well documented fairly recent example is the
                              strange case of Shabbatai Zavi a scholarly young Jew who may have been
                              something of a manic depressive.  He
                              lived in Smyrna (Turkey) in the late seventeenth century. He used to suffer
                              fits of depression and would disappear for days until charged with fits of what
                              he called illumination where, what he called, a `higher power’ would direct him
                              to violate many of the very strict taboos of Judaism.  He was convinced that these `Holy Sins’ were
                              to lead him to a new set of holy commandments in a reformed new Judaism. He was
                              expelled from Smyrna in 1650, wandered for fifteen years and went to Gaza to
                              meet a great healer called Nathan who had proclaimed …”Thus saith the lord
                              Behold our savior commeth! Shabbatai Zavi is his name.” Nathan believed that
                              `the messiah’ had been trapped in a godless world from the beginning and would
                              now be freed. The news rapidly spread to many Jewish communities who began to
                              violate many Jewish practices, food and sexual taboos, roll on nettles, immerse
                              themselves in freezing water and follow other strange practices awaiting a
                              `Great Awakening’.

                              In 1666, confident of the lord’s protection, he
                              went to see the Turkish sultan and was promptly arrested and given the choice
                              of death or conversion to Islam. To the shock of his ardent followers he
                              immediately converted but said he had to do this apostatic act in order to
                              `descend further into the realm of impurity’ that he described as `a holy sin’.
                              He however avidly studied the Muslim Sharia believing that he was also destined
                              to be a bridge between Judaism and Islam and bring the Jews back to their holy
                              land. Such trifling with deeply entrenched sacred laws caused him to be
                              initially exiled but, bizarre as his beliefs and actions were, Shibbatai
                              acquired many followers until he suddenly died in 1676. Two radical Shabbatean
                              sects however followed and led to a mass conversion of Jews.

                              His extraordinary example was not very different to
                              numerous other `divinely inspired’ men who were to cause every religion to
                              split and proliferate into dozens of sects and cults. The power of divinely
                              inspired passion and the gullibility of their followers were truly astonishing.
                              In some cases these revisionists were to turn well established religions
                              completely on its head. Paul was the most notable example and was to completely
                              hijack the very well established religion of Judaism, add a few fragments from
                              the words of a Jew called Issa (Jesus) and create a completely new religion
                              that he was to call Christianity. In the early nineteenth century, an
                              illiterate Arab Bedouin called Abd al Wahhab was to similarly completely hijack
                              Islam and made it intolerant and militant.

                              Religions were not however solid edifices like some
                              great building. They were living traditions that grew and evolved like the
                              constantly spreading branches of great trees. The founders, apostles, priests
                              and patrons may have been their roots but religions were constantly evolving
                              and were to throw up numerous branches as they rose above the ground. Religions
                              could ignite passions among numerous leaders who were to make many new sects
                              and sub sects multiply with amazing speed.

                              The huge number of `heresies’ that Christianity
                              spawned very soon after the crucifixion best illustrates this huge explosion of
                              religious deviations. Some of these were:

                              Sabellianism:  Taught by
                              Sebellius (215 CE) in Rome, believed that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are
                              three faces of a single person, God.

                              Docetism:  This sect founded
                              by bishop Serapion of Antioch (197 – 203 CE) believed that Christ was not a real human being and did not
                              have a real human body.

                              Monophysitism:  They believed that
                              Jesus had two separate natures in one body.  Monophysitism is still alive
                              in several Egyptian and Middle Eastern sects.

                              Adoptionism: They believed that
                              Jesus was a human being who was "adopted" by God at his conception
                              and then developed a divine nature.

                              Nestorianism:  Nestorius, the
                              Patriarch of Antioch (386 – 451CE) believed that Jesus had two natures of Man
                              and God that remained separate throughout his life and denied the idea of
                              virgin birth.

                              Apollinarianism:  They believe Jesus
                              Christ was not a real man, but not totally divine either.

                              Arianism:  Arius (250 -  336 CE), a priest in Alexandria believed that
                              Jesus Christ was a special creation by God for man's salvation. It became a
                              very powerful schism.

                              Socianism:  This was a version
                              of Arianism that says that Jesus was an extraordinary man and not a divinity.

                              Donatism:  Named for its
                              leader Donatus the Great (355 CE). They were a group of extremist sects who emphasized
                              asceticism.

                              Pelagianism:  Associated with
                              the Irish monk Pelagius who believed that original sin was not transmitted from
                              Adam and Eve to their children.

                              Gnosticism:  They believed in the notion of a remote, supreme
                              divinity, source of great depth and profundity and believed in emanations of
                              further divine beings that were aspects of the God.

                              Manicheanism:  This seems to have
                              become a separate religion that blends Christianity with Gnosticism, Mithraism,
                              neo-Platonism, and even many elements of Buddhism.  It gained many
                              followers and survived well into the middle Ages, where it influenced the large
                              communities of the Bogomils in the Balkans and the Cathars in southern France.

                              Bogomils: They were adoptionist
                              but did not consider Jesus to be a part of a trinity. They did not also they
                              consider Mary the mother of God. They also believed that God had two sons,
                              Michael and Satan and that  Satan had created the material world and
                              attempted to create Adam, but was unable to create a soul.

                              Cathars:  They followed the basic
                              ideas of this Bogomil heresy and tried to live very simple, exemplary lives, even
                              refraining from physical pleasures and meat. They believed that the God of the
                              Old Testament was actually Satan who was responsible for the creation of the
                              material world.  These were
                              however only the some of the hundreds of religious deviations that appeared in
                              the early years of Christianity. They were to continue to multiply through the
                              centuries and even into modern times.

                              Today though Roman Catholics are the largest
                              Christian community there are over five hundred different churches practicing
                              Catholic heresies all over the world. These include over twenty eastern Catholics,
                              forty Orthodox Christians and over two hundred schools of Protestant, Lutheran
                              and Anglican belief. There are also reformed churches, Methodists,
                              Antibaptists, Pentecost’s, Quakers, Adventists, Jehovah’s witnesses, and many
                              others.

                              All these sects had equally good claims to being
                              the true path to the message of Christ. These sects and cults however had great
                              difficulty in establishing themselves as they faced staunch opposition from
                              equally ardent devotees of other sects. It was therefore the sect that
                              succeeded in getting the strongest political support that were able to vanquish
                              their rivals in a war with the swords of soldiers rather than with the flame of
                              spiritual superiority.

                              These are the deviations in one just religion.
                              There are almost as many deviant versions of Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and all
                              other faiths.