Re: Do the map

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
      Bill,

      If I haven't told you enough during our tenure here that I enjoy hearing your experiences, consider it a fact that I do. I don't recall many of eduard's, but I've no doubt they have contributed to his philosophy as well. Richardson's experiences are affirmative for me in a different way, but I've no inclination to become his Facebook friend. When it's active, existlist is enough internet community for me to handle.

> [...]
      > >
      > > Jeremiah Johnson a fatalist and nonchalant? I don't think so. Engaged and a man of action, stoic perhaps and skeptical about romanticizing nature or trespassing on Indian Country. Mutual respect between competitors was gained, but none of these would have occurred had Johnson never undertaken the experience.He considered that time as no trouble, not because he didn't care or was merely expressing bravado. It was no trouble because of developing mutual respect and responsible freedom. It's all a new life can prove to be and more.
      > >
      > > Mary
      > >Mary, I have watched this movie many times and each time I see it as a didderent experience. I cannot disagree with any of what you have just written, I have thought all those things about it. Redford is such an expressive actor, he is probably too much for the part. He`s too small, too delicate to survive in the rockies over winters. He belongs mugging with Barbara Strisand.
      > A flint gray day at ten thousand feet comes to mind. So bleak and harsh that the people take on the hardness of the weather. I have met the workers in the molibdemnem mines. They will fight you for something to do. I have been in central City where my great grandfather rode shotgun guard on the silver wagons. The harshness even on good days is punishing. The indians did not go up there often it was too dangerous.So I do not stand on what I may have said about the movie, if I see it again it will be different. I see it as a mood movie and they caught the feeling of that huge area.
      > I remember talking with a German who had come to ski. He was completely befuddled by the environment. He was suffering from altitude sickness and was trying to get back to Munich. He could not breath and he could not get rid of his headache. He was a lifelong skier but had never felt like this. I warned him that if he did not get down he could suffer angioneurotic edema and die. I got him on the shuttle to denver,hope he made it. The people who live there are not normal by flatlander standards. I think it to be genetic as I can survive there like my great grandfather.
      > Today is gray and cold and I can take on the attitude even though I can breath. There you either have your supplies in or you perish. I have my supplies in and hunker down to stay warm . I an not too involved with anything ,it is a bit like hybernating. Even though I am involved in a good deal of business I am not sharp to it. I am back in the high cold and it just goes right through me.
      > So talk of this movie throws snow on my mood and brings a foggy steam to my brain. It is not bad it is just another place I can go.
      > The tree rat just came up and begged for food and I have a full bag of peanuts. We will both survive this winter even enjoy it. How mean and just. Bill

    • William
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013

        > Bill,
        >
        > If I haven't told you enough during our tenure here that I enjoy hearing your experiences, consider it a fact that I do. I don't recall many of eduard's, but I've no doubt they have contributed to his philosophy as well. Richardson's experiences are affirmative for me in a different way, but I've no inclination to become his Facebook friend. When it's active, existlist is enough internet community for me to handle.
        >
        > Mary
        >Mary, yes I like old existlist and it seems to be quite clean of the bad things in the newer sorts of communication. Now I see that Merlin writes from a cave why do I think that may be true. You and Edward are stalwarts of existentialism and it is great to see stability in this full "o' bull world. Dick is a mad cap and adds the strange and different to the stew. I know I write all over the place but that is how I see life, a broad swash with little stories poking out of it.
        We have won the fight over the F16`s they are going back to airplane heaven.We are going to get the drones and the old school airmen are pissed off. The govenor is pissed off, and the real news is the personal will be replaced nearly man for man.
        It seems Syracuse has undergone a similar switch and there was a big fight over the change. The opponents claim that the drones will cause attacks on the city. The F16`s attacked the shit out of the islamic radicals and Syracuse was not attacked for the 16`s or the drones. I am reminded of Neal Young, we are getting a kinder, gentler machine gun hand.Isn`t progress great! I knew when I put in satellite radio that I had bugged myself. I have seen footage that can see through walls and roofs. For years I hung out in naturist places in the Carribean. If they are interseted I can`t stop them from watching. I really don`t think anyone gives a damn about what we say here.
        I am glad to beat back the old school conservatism and the 16`s had become part of that vast conspiracy. When it gets a bit warmer I will go out on the deck and say goodby to the roaring,snorting monsters. It they work as well as is said I doubt We will ever see a drone. They are to be like guardian angels, powerful but never seen or heard. So score one for Obama and a less obnoxious beleggerance by the brass hats. I still have my brass hat and I really look funny in it. I suppose I always did but we talk a lot about perspective here on this old site. Bill
> [...]
        > > Today is gray and cold and I can take on the attitude even though I can breath. There you either have your supplies in or you perish. I have my supplies in and hunker down to stay warm . I an not too involved with anything ,it is a bit like hybernating. Even though I am involved in a good deal of business I am not sharp to it. I am back in the high cold and it just goes right through me.
        > > So talk of this movie throws snow on my mood and brings a foggy steam to my brain. It is not bad it is just another place I can go.
        > > The tree rat just came up and begged for food and I have a full bag of peanuts. We will both survive this winter even enjoy it. How mean and just. Bill

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
          I mean by "fatalism" that in all life, shit happens. As soon as you take
          the road less travelled, you are off on a different direction, from which
          you can't return. But then one road is as good as another. And overall ...
          You live; you die; and you do what you can. There is no point is saying
          that it was a lot of "trouble". Johnson was right in his comment. He chose
          the path he took. He could have take another path, but nothing is guarantee
          there either.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
            Drones are going to cause havoc in the sky with commercial aircraft. The
            cost much less than helicopters and every radio and TV station in town will
            want one. And then the police, fire departments and Homeland Security.
            When OJ goes driving down the highway in Los Angeles again, he will be
            followed by a dozen or so drones all bumping into each other and into
            aircraft landing/taking off at LAX.