m.a.p.

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 9:01 AM
      Bill and eduard,

      My Average Philosophy. I'm an existentialist because neither science nor love solve all. I'm an existentialist because I have to make decisions never having all the information. I'm an existentialist because I am what I do; I'm my ongoing history of actions. My average philosophy is boring to most men, so I'll not subject you to it. I accept the joy of freedom and the terror of responsibility and live in the absurd tension between hope and resignation.

      Mary
    • William
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 10:29 AM

        > Bill and eduard,
        >
        > My Average Philosophy. I'm an existentialist because neither science nor love solve all. I'm an existentialist because I have to make decisions never having all the information. I'm an existentialist because I am what I do; I'm my ongoing history of actions. My average philosophy is boring to most men, so I'll not subject you to it. I accept the joy of freedom and the terror of responsibility and live in the absurd tension between hope and resignation.
        >
        > Mary
        >Mary, that is a simple and profound statement. I consider it exceptional. My MAP is written as a proof against the prior religions and baseless philosophies that plagued the individual. Certainly we are not in the cat bird seat. but we,the existentialists, have pulled togeather enough of a knowledge base to at least understand our precarious position.
        I remember a woman on her bloody knees crawling to a western mexico church. She had crawled for better than twenty miles as penance. At that moment I was most happy to know what I did, understood what my map presented to me. I wanted to lift her up and explain but knew I would only make it worse. When I see the products of the old world philosophies I know I have had a better course. Compaired to that indian woman I am a superman, an often sad,depressed superman but never the less more in charge of my reality. As Wil Gear said to Robert Redford in Jeramiah Johnson ," Youve come a far piece pilgrim". Redford replies"It dont seem far" . Bill
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1 11:36 AM
          Bill,

          Have always enjoyed that movie. He says it felt far but that it wasn't any trouble. So when we try to draw a straight line between our origins and where we are now, we forget the necessary troubles and some of the detours. They're part of us now; our philosophy is our biography. I've been reading "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey in the evenings before I sleep. It's the nonfiction account of his stint as a park ranger in Arches National Park. I looked up his bio and was delighted to see he loved the solitude of nature but was also unable to completely forsake humans.

          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:
          > >
          > > Bill and eduard,
          > >
          > > My Average Philosophy. I'm an existentialist because neither science nor love solve all. I'm an existentialist because I have to make decisions never having all the information. I'm an existentialist because I am what I do; I'm my ongoing history of actions. My average philosophy is boring to most men, so I'll not subject you to it. I accept the joy of freedom and the terror of responsibility and live in the absurd tension between hope and resignation.
          > >
          > > Mary
          > >Mary, that is a simple and profound statement. I consider it exceptional. My MAP is written as a proof against the prior religions and baseless philosophies that plagued the individual. Certainly we are not in the cat bird seat. but we,the existentialists, have pulled togeather enough of a knowledge base to at least understand our precarious position.
          > I remember a woman on her bloody knees crawling to a western mexico church. She had crawled for better than twenty miles as penance. At that moment I was most happy to know what I did, understood what my map presented to me. I wanted to lift her up and explain but knew I would only make it worse. When I see the products of the old world philosophies I know I have had a better course. Compaired to that indian woman I am a superman, an often sad,depressed superman but never the less more in charge of my reality. As Wil Gear said to Robert Redford in Jeramiah Johnson ," Youve come a far piece pilgrim". Redford replies"It dont seem far" . Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1 12:48 PM
            Mary,

            If Average Philosophy includes making decisions never having all the
            information, that would apply to everyone, even science. In the end,
            science amounts to one's best guess. Granted, science involves more of an
            investigation to find as much information as possible, but something is
            always missing. So you take your best guess and see if it works out. I
            have learnt that nothing is perfect. You do your best with what you have,
            and make corrections as they become necessary. Like honing in on something.
            Life is like that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1 1:42 PM
              Bill,

              Do you have the right quote?? As much as I can get on the movie is ...

              Bear Claw Chris Lapp: You've come far pilgrim.
              Jeremiah Johnson: Feels like far.
              Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Were it worth the trouble?
              Jeremiah Johnson: What trouble?

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2 9:30 AM
                But what does this exchange mean, eduard, in terms of existentialism or in relation to what transpires in the course of the film? What themes in the movie engaged you?

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2 3:53 PM
                  I have not seen the film, but I managed to download the script. Apparently
                  the exchange occurs near the end and is a sort of summation of Johnson's
                  life. From an existentialist point of view I would say that it represents a
                  fatalist aspect. You live; you die; and you do what you can. There isn't
                  any great purpose to it all.