Re: Map

    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
      And so little little impediment to exploring the oceans, it's a wonder we haven't done more.

      > In order to go into interstellar space, we would have to become something
      > other than what we are. The other reason is that we might not survive the
      > radiation. That's would be the playground of androids. But in the end, we
      > are chained to this small blue marble and it is time that we realised it.
      >
      > eduard

    • William
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2013
        Now I want to talk about where we are going.This is like the moment in the Hunchback of Notre Dame when Quasimodo appears,the audience gasps.For you flat earth devotees and terra centrics let us examine where we are going in terms of where we are.No one wants to accept a relative view but what is your static point?
        The earth is rotating at 25000 mph around its own axis. We travel more than a billion years per annum in our race around the sun .The sun is moving at huge angular velocity around the center of the galaxy and the galaxys are flying away from each other fast enough to cause their light to red shift.Even though we move in all these various directions and speeds they add up to only a change of day to night to us as observers.
        In our old earth centered view of the universe man ,the only rational animal,was the big deal.The infallible ideas of popes and the power driven will of kings consigned the individual to wrote learning and obedience. When we place ourselves in the world that science reveals to us, we see that thought can lead us to extinction as well as prominance.Jeffersons brillient idea of democratic consensus promoting peace and progress must operate in the clear light of reality.WW 2 was our first look at the wildly destructive side of high science. Hiroshima was shocking . Bikini atoll awe inspiring and Schumacher Levi`s date with Jupiter left no doubt that massive forces can decimate us all.We are in a big show and can ill afford an innorant, superstitous leadership.
        Now for quasimodo. Where am I going? I am going to die. What will I know then, I will know nothing.After centuries of priestly hand holding , mankind was presented the truth by the phenominologists,existentialists and yes, the nihilists. The shock killed many of tham by suicide drugs and alcohol.Raised catholic I was taught I was a child of god and an heir to heaven. It took me years of excuse making to accept my personal mortality. For a time I thought of Chardins hyperpersonalisation as an escape, Bullshit. Then I postulated that thought goes on forever into space to be followed back by a superior species who would reincarnate me.Why should they give a damn if they are that superior. I even decided I could put my mind into a computer and clone my body and then download my brillience into a new and viril self. I think all this sort of foolishness derives from our survival instinct and who knows we may learn to survive for a very long time. Earth,however will die when the sun goes Nova. What a fine word,Nova, from the latin for "New". The atoms of our ashes will be blasted into intersteller space to reform into something or someone post nova. I can now live with that. What else can I do?
      • William
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2013
          Once you have orientated in this Map there is no lack of responsibility You are in chage of your ship and I am in charge of mine.If you start feeling self important look at the sea after a ship goes down.It does not miss a wave let alone a tide. Between now and death what could be in store? In college I had a debate about the chance of repetative history. Thinking scientifically a moments reality equils the sum of all atomic movements from the moment before.Linear time seems a one way progression with randomness dictating no repetition except for very small homogenous atomic samples. Randomness also negates the possibility of predicting the future. People of faith believe in prophesy As a nihilist I can only guess at probability. It seems we have a major impact , an asteroid or big meteor every one hundred million years. The one that probably did in the dinosaurs happned sixty five million years ago. About all that can be said is that such an impact can happen at any time.I see us as a target waiting for the inevatable hit. We cannot retreat into the past and we cannot predict the future. I think the American People deserve praise for their steadfast adherance to their democrecy during these bloody centuries. I hope we are all paid in the coin of personal freedom. A Modern American Philosophy may be short on faith but it has no end of hope. So many fine Americans have accomplished so much, we carry their hope in our genes. Bill
        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013
            I watched a commercial for Cadilac ATS. It is sequence of fast driving on
            twisting roads supposedly to show the performance of the car. But what they
            are selling is an idea ... an impression ... of what you might get by
            putting down $40,000 or so.

            Yet, in the end the ATS is going to move at the speed of the slowest car in
            the traffic line. Eventually you may realise that it's a lie. And you are
            living it.

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013
              [What else can I do? ]

              Nothing. You are flowing with time and as much as a bubble forms out of hot
              water.

              Time is the fire in which we burn.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Bill,

                  I work for causes I'm interested in and care about, those I feel connected with like women's and children's issues, the environment, and safeguarding the democratic process. While I'm alive I may as well do something that helps others and pleases me. I work for what's in my power to affect but also accept what I can't. What lives on are my children and their hopes. Nothing and being are always becoming something. I am what I do; what else is there?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > I work for causes I'm interested in and care about, those I feel connected with like women's and children's issues, the environment, and safeguarding the democratic process. While I'm alive I may as well do something that helps others and pleases me. I work for what's in my power to affect but also accept what I can't. What lives on are my children and their hopes. Nothing and being are always becoming something. I am what I do; what else is there?
                    >
                    > Mary
                    >Mary, perfectly understandable, thank you. I refuse to accept that I owe this existance anything. I did not ask to come here and I am not asking to leave. I still cling to the biologic imperative, Your born,you reproduce, you die. Two of those imperatives you have little choice about. We have both done our reproducing and can dispense with that. I must remember my enthusiasm for Obama and his politics. I had great interest and worked to see his election and reelection. I did not owe him that but owed it in retribution against the right wing that scewered me during Bush. I have a dollar amount they cost me and it will take the rest of Obama time to make it up. It was a milestone for me when the DOW went back above 1400. It is a rough way to keep score but now I want those lost profits returned. I`ll toot my own economic whistle for that tune and think this president will stay his economic course. I had a mentor who said money does not really count it is just a way of keeping score. I am still keeping score. Bill
                    > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
                    >
                    > >Mary remains serious with her causes and that is why I invite her to explain why . Not that she has to, but I would be interested.

                  • Dick.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013
                      You are NOT what you DO. You are thing which is doing it. Find out what
                      that thing is. If you were NOT something then you would be able to do
                      anything. And that does not mean BELIEVE what you are, it means FIND
                      OUT.
                      Having fun on facebook. I was banned yesterday after just one day :- )
                      But I got back on today with another ID and having fun again :- )

                      Dick Richardson

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 2, 2013
                        Although there is no grand purpose in it all, and you do what you can, it is
                        also possible to conceive of some objective of your own that makes the
                        living years more interesting.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 3, 2013