Overview

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      Being without parents left a vacuum which my friends and teachers filled with religious ideas and a love for learning, the latter of which eventually succeeded the former. A dozen temporary foster parents provided only material necessities, so fortunately the only damage done was to increase my existing sense of abandonment and mistrust. I've always been an amateur scientist at heart, wanting to know the hows and whys of so many things, my curiosity often overreaching my ability to understand. What drove me, eventually out of religion and into the arms of existentialism, was the suffering of others, particularly mental illness. I was accustomed to using reason to overcome my life situations, but I needed something more. I needed to recover my authentic being, the one lost over the years while trying to please everyone. I had to reevaluate my experiences in this new light; this luxury was afforded me when my marriage of 40 years dissolved.