A Game Played by Fools?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
      A Game Played by Fools?

      [ You are alive and soon will be dead. The important questions do not
      relate to what you are and where you came from, but where you are going
      and how best to deal with the living years in happiness or at least not
      with so much pain. Eduard ]

      So, OK then; you arrive here you know not why. You live a short painful
      meaningless life knowing not why; you give it meaning by trying to
      scratch out some happiness for yourself amid the chaotic gloom and
      despair, and then you die; finished, gone. A stupid game played by
      fools. The philosophy of existentialism??!! Dare we ask what
      constitutes this happiness which can be wrought out of a bag of crap?
      And why bother to invest energy trying to flow against the tide of such
      rolling affluence in order to grab a few moments of pointless happiness
      which you will bemoan the loss of when you lose it? And what would make
      that pointless effort important? Are existentialists happy? I read them
      too you know. And the buddhists and the gnostics and the christians etc
      etc etc ad nausea. So Eduard, where are you going which will supply this
      short lived happiness?? Perhaps we could all join you if you let us into
      the secret. Then again perhaps we would not. I take it that you
      didn't bring any children into this diabolical state of affairs that
      they too would have to go through all this pain, suffering and nausea?

      Dick Richardson

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
        Wow ... you managed to get all that from my simple statement about important
        questions.

        Considering the your response here, I would suppose that you think it more
        important to know precisely in great detail as to where you come from,
        rather than to know how to guide yourself to a happy life. What is the
        point then?? So what if you manage to find out exactly which primate
        species you evolved from, if do not have happiness in this life??

        "A stupid game played by fools."

        I honestly cannot think of anyone ... other than yourself ... who would say
        that those seeking out happiness are fools. If they are fools, then what
        are the wise striving towards??

        I would take it that you are not that happy. Why is that Dick??

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
          No, not just from your statement, but I have heard it so many times
          before. And many have written that life is a game played by fools, so
          it is not new. And many people wrote about all the ills in their life.
          Maybe you read all the wrong stuff and move in the wrong circles to hear
          them :- ) Am I happy? What is happiness? I am not miserable and I
          still enjoy life and I have so many good memories. And still
          optimistic. Is that happiness? Maybe happiness is the lack of being
          miserable. I don't get miserable. Never did. I have known some
          rather exceptional moments, is that happiness? Now, funny things
          isn't it, I wonder why folks would ask one to write about it? How
          odd. Trying to write another novel now, if and when I get the time for
          it, and if I live here long enough to get it done :- ) Very different
          from the first novel though.

          rwr

          > Wow ... you managed to get all that from my simple statement about
          important
          > questions.
          >
          > Considering the your response here, I would suppose that you think it
          more
          > important to know precisely in great detail as to where you come from,
          > rather than to know how to guide yourself to a happy life. What is
          the
          > point then?? So what if you manage to find out exactly which primate
          > species you evolved from, if do not have happiness in this life??
          >
          > "A stupid game played by fools."
          >
          > I honestly cannot think of anyone ... other than yourself ... who
          would say
          > that those seeking out happiness are fools. If they are fools, then
          what
          > are the wise striving towards??
          >
          > I would take it that you are not that happy. Why is that Dick??
          >
          > eduard

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
            Happiness can be a lack of being miserable. I think I already said that.

            Yes, many have said/written that "life is a game played by fools", but it is
            said more for effect than anything else. Life is a game that you play
            because you are alive, regardless of whether the person might be qualified
            as a fool. There is no other game unless you are dead, in which case there
            is no playing, so the issue is moot.

            My point was that knowing how to live towards happiness or as you say,
            without being miserable is more important than knowing where we come from
            ... this, you seemed to object to. Where we come from/what we are may have
            an importance but less so on a scale of needful things. In any case, where
            we come from is already answered. You might put perhaps 2 seconds on the
            question and then focus on on the more important question of how to not be
            miserable.