Map

  • William
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
      Build a plan to decide where you are going.The map is in two dimensions,reality is not.If ,however the map is made of thoughts it is broadcast through the brain as reality. If the thoughts are empiracally based the map is real.Sense knowledge must be trusted,it is the basis of survival. All organisms rely on the stimulus response mechanism to remain in existance
      Modifications , wilfully introduced are the basis of the individual. A different response that produces results which enhance the existance of the individual is the basis of progress .The trick is to make different but beneficial responses.
      As with random genetic mutation, random response has negative individual repurcussions.
      Risk taking and individualism are linked genitically. Intelligence used to arbitrate randomness can tip the scales in favor of a positive response.
      The non risk takers are beneficial. They are not bored wih themselvesas they feel no impitus to change. They fear risk takers,especially random risk takers.
      Individualism is the name we give to one of the positive rewards of risk taking. Individuals climb mountains not because the mountain is there but because the individual is there. Individuals look on the non risk takers much like bulls might look on steers, they are meat.
      The intelligent risk taker needs a map, a rule book, to avoid random action and destruction. The environment is always changing always dangerous. That is why I am writing this. The odd thing about progress is it opens up new nitches for drones. In their natural collectivity the steers repel the bulls usurping the newly acquired terratory , making it safe for their repetative behavior. Like the old mountain men the american individual is forced to move on. This time ,however, age and infirmity require a new but quiet valley. A cloaking device is necessary to hide the starship from the Klingon drones. The map must include an explanation of why an individual would chose such a path and a clear warning of the many risks inherant in such a journey.
      This map is actually a personal philosophy. I have written it before in story form but steers do not understand a story as anything but a story. Since it is a personal philosophy I think I must show how my life experience compelled me to think this way.I will therefore include incidents that pushed me away from more conventional religous or philosophical approaches. I know this approach to viewing life is relatively new. Most of the concepts integral to the system were realised in the twentieth century. Terms such as secular humanist degenerate into self styled ,free thinker in the hands of politically motovated theists. I am modern, thus the M in the map .I am also an American, not a fellow traveler, anti capitalist or anarcist. A in the map stands for American. The P stands for philosophy.
    • William
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
        The ancient questions,Who am I,WHere did I come from,Where am I going have always called me. So I write this. Being called an egoist is better than being labeled a communist or athiest or drunk or drugged out crazy. This is life as I see it from my experience and genetic make up.
        The earliest thinkers distinguished themselves from other entities,rocks, plants ,animals ect. It might not seem much progress to us but under modern scrutany a five million year metamorphosis from australopithicus to the writings of Socrates.It would seem that after all significant bounds forward a period of disinformation must ensue.The thumps in the night around millions of campfires served up untold spirits,demons ,witches,plenary ghosts and gods. No doubt seeing ones companions ripped apart and devoured in a milieu not understood could lead the imagination to terrors of supernatural proportions. The concept of genetic memory seems more plasuable as we view the special effects monsters from todays Hollywood. Our ancestors knew fear and were clewless about their position in time ,space or the phylogenetic order. Even a modern man, thrown into a primative survival situation , feels the terror of the woods , the ancient demons howl again. I marvel at the early thinkers ,how they were able to separate terror from substantive purpose as they watched their teachers drink himlock. To me Aristotle was a towering figure compaired to St.Peter. Both felt the death of their mentors but the former advanced the progression of thought ,the latter died a zealots death worshipping his teacher.
        Five million years on the savannah of east Africa built the sympathetic nervous system to a two response edge, fight or flight. Five thousand years of civilisation have added surrender and worship to our response package. Have we seen enough phenomena to allow for more novel options? Thought evolves. Not slowly like an organ system but in the modern world it is more like the solution of a salt in a liquid. New thought spreads rapidly and forever changes the media.
        One of the philsophical questions of modern time is if the evolution of thought in the information ageis so rapid it dedecouples from the physical evoloution of man? Does it matter? The printing press stratified society into the readers and those with only spoken language. Will the explosion of knowledge leave the big picture only in the memories of a few super computers? I think not. An educated person can now comprehend his place in the phylogenetic order and in the space time continuum. He can anchor himself in reality and banish those demons, gods,witches,angels,saints and banshees to subconscious genetic memory. Living life in the fear of devels and gods dreamed up by fat priests and political ministers is a waste of brains and lives.
      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
          There are risk takers and then there are risk takers. The former are old
          school [to use a term] and do the necessary planning to limit the
          possibility of injury. The latter just dash out there and take the risk
          without thinking too much about it before hand. It's the latter who have to
          rescued from their folly. Granted, some of them are lucky and manage to
          survive for a while.

          Like mountain climbers. This past year there was a longer line of wannabe
          climbers on the side of Everest than at some popular hip-hop concert;
          passing the bodies of others who died on the way. In today's world there
          seems a cult of extreme venture. As if we were somehow immortal. I have
          absolutely no empathy for the fools.

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
            So,who am I ? The question itself implies personality if not humanity.We may extrapolate personality to our pet animals but in general who denotes humanity. I can point to comparitive anatomy and the record in the fossils to prove the ascent of man. I am secure in the fact that I am a human being.I will deal with the history of the human species when I consider where I came from.
            In liberal arts college I encountered real science for the first time.I was building a knowledge baseAt that time Darwin and evolutionary theory were too big for me but comparative anatomy hit me hard. The sketches,the dissections the comparisons of body systems between species forced me to view the phyliogenetic order. There I was at the top of a primate species. Since I had been the keeper of a Capuchin monkey I could grasp the breath of primate behavour and threw aside the religous idea that humans were built in gods image. We were much closer to the great apes.
            Now every piece of good scientific knowledge I acquire adds another piece to the expanding picture puzzle of the cosmos ,its structure and working principles. It tells me more of who I am. In my liberal arts college science students were considered geeks but since I was always on the deans list I forced myself into a graduate level existentialism course. The course was designed to rapidly overview the major empiricists,phenominologists and existentialists. , concentrating on Chardin as the catholic churches answer to the heretical modernists. I understood Chardins ideas as a whole but did not recognise him as a theologian with an improvised existential vocabulary. Years later after revisiting the existential writers I saw science fits well with phenominology. The early writers Husseryl,Heidigger and Neitche are awsome in their use of observation and logic to climb toward their radically different modernly relevant Ideas. Their used pure brain power to deduce the place of modern man was a monumental feat.How did these men foresee the modern world with so few clues. They persevered in postulating a nihilistic existance with its crushing personal repurcussions.I left undergrad intent on avoiding the draft and following a materialistic life. During the viet nam war grade points were at an all time high. Getting in was hard and staying in required competition with the best. Failing dental school put you first in line to be a chopper medic. I was a pig in shit I loved science and I loved competition.
          • William
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                [So,who am I ? ]

                At this time and stage of our awareness, that we are evolved from some
                monkey type species is all too obvious. Whether it is the great ape or some
                other is mere detail.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                  If you don't like religions then why the hell do you keep writing about
                  them? And you sure don't put a good argument against them. And nor do
                  you make a good argument for the scientific methodology. I don't like
                  them either. As for humanity and humanitarian then are you a shining
                  example?
                  Merlin

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 28, 2013
                    Thank you for your Map series. I feel inspired to compile something similar, if I may. Hopefully mine will be as different from and as interesting as yours.

                    Mary
                  • William
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013

                      > Thank you for your Map series. I feel inspired to compile something similar, if I may. Hopefully mine will be as different from and as interesting as yours.
                      >
                      > Mary

                      I certainly encourage you to write such a series,or any series for that matter. I think we should consider encouraging each other especially when it shows the evolution of an existentialist. Bill
                    • William
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 29, 2013
                        This period,1968 t0 1971,was a time of great unrest at the state university.I think the overwhelming spirit of rebellion coupled with a huge generations unquenchable thirst for individual freedom changed me permanently.I had hated being a catholic for years , it was no problem to quit,I just quit going.Years earlier I had blerted out that study of the arts and sciences should replace religion. I was required to write an essay on herasy.It was not well recieved.
                        I did not participate in demonstrations at university never the less I was beaten ,gassed and searched.Whe Robert Kennedy was assinated I abandoned politics and buried myself in the study of science. There was no heresy in biochemistry. No jack booted pig beat me in physiology. The only gas I smelled in microbiology was from growing molds and fungi in petri dishes.My brain filled itself with itself in neuroanatomy. My knowledge base was expanding enormously and I was now thinking as a scientist.The devils of bigotry and militarism howled in the streets, god fearing hard hats beat and tormented my fellow students . I hardly noticed what was going on in the blackness around me, I was studying the fire itself.
                        So many science courses begin with a section on scientific notation and measurement. I butted it off over and over again.That was a mistake as the media was the message and still is.Knowing and understanding the difference amoung one,ten,one hundred,one thousand,ten thousand,one hundred thousand,one million,ten million,one hundred million,one billion,ten billion,one hundred billion,one trillion ect is the core of comprehending time ,space,matter,size and their interelations.Time is a construct of man .Men noted the regularity of planitary motion and used it to order activities such as planting ,migrations and harvest. Stonehenge,the pyramids and the Myan temples all relate to winter and summer soltice. I think it is important that when I answer Who I am, I say I am a member of the species who created time.
                        One final observationon on time, the universe appears to be 3.7 billion years old. man as a distinct species is somewhere around five million years old. Relatively we have been in existance a very short span. The greter expansion of scientific knowledge have taken place in the last four hundred years. The changes in the twenteth century are unprecedented. Many have not kept pace intellectually and therefore philosophically .I resent being ranked as spiritually bankrupt by people by people who cannot or will not understand the real ,modern world.From Socrates to Galileo and Darwin to Freud, , these brave risk takers have pushed back the darkness of myth and religion. I find kindness a more sparse commodity in the face of the ranting,accusations, and demands of foolish, bigoted fellow humans, who will not even consider the ideas of the great thinkers and scientists.
                      • William
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
                          In considering who I am I should orient myself in space as well as in time. For many years the concept of space has troubled me. I was especially confounded by Eienstein`s theory of mass bending space.I have solved the problem to my partial satisfaction but I know my ideas are simplistic. I see two kinds of space. One is the space around objects, it can be measured.The other is the space that may or may not exist devoid of matter.If this kind of space is invaded by energy it becomes the first kind of space as energy and mass are interconvertable. The current research on the Higgs Boson certainly enters here.Defining nothingness is a futile act of trying to prove a negative hypothesis. I think it to be impossible.
                          I live in surface space the space defined by the surface of the earth. Encompassing surface space is atmospheric space. It is surrounded by interplanitary space which is surrounded by interstellar space which is surrounded by intergalactic space. Since the universe is expanding, the galaxys are invading nothingness thus creating -------------------more intergalactic space.
                          We call our planet, earth, our star ,sun,our star system the solar system and our galaxy the Milky way.Outside our galaxy things get really big and far away. Strange entities exist in intergalactic space .At any rate no human has entered interstellar space, we have travled a short distance to the moon in interplanitary space. Models of the universe have been built from pictures taken from the Hubble Space telescope. We lie inconspicously in our galaxy on one of many tentacles. There are billions of galaxys each containing billions of stars. In my lifetime we will not leave our solar system with a manned vehicle. At the present it is beyond our depth to worry about interstellar space.
                        • William
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
                            Matter, it does matter.The periodic table of elements is full . We know what the universe is made of and where the various elements were formed in different kinds of stars.
                            Size, size matters . One size does not fit all .The Hubble Space Telescope sees even more up scale than an electron microscope does down scale.In summary we know who we are and where and when we are . That`s a long line of progress back to huddling in the forest fearing almost everything as unknown. Fear shocks us into inactivity ,ignorance and submission.Those who use fear to block progress are the true enemies of an intelligent species.
                            Where did I come from? The answer to this question has inflamed the boundry between religion and science even more than Galileo did with his heliocentric theory.Darwin started it, and modern archeologists and paleoanatomists have finished it. We evolved not from monkeys but from non cellular protiens which began the biohistory of the earth. These compounds appear today in the super thermal vents on the modern sea floor.We have the whole phylogenetic sequence complete with carbon 14 dates as temporal sign posts. It does not have to be believed,it is known. Nihilism,defined as the absence of all belief, is possible for those individual risk takers ready to accept the truth.I came from the stars ,the elements of the molocules of my body being thrown out of supernovi billions of years ago.We know the cosmic,geologic and biologic evolution of the animate and inanimate things of this planet.To believe for the security of past security is intellectual cowardice. To profit from spreading false beliefs is cultural fraud. The lame argument that less intelligent people need the creation myth to support their slight hold on reality is bunk.Evoloution is a story whose characters were or are all real.It can be told simply or in complex detail.Either way it holds togeather because it is real and the truth.If the fundamental ideas of a persons life are lies how can a person relate sucsusfully to the persons and things around him?If his false mentors hold him in terror of devels,hell and sin,how can an individual plan reasonable goals and live a reasonable happy life? How can those of us who know better quietly watch as more lies and liars are added to the culture? A Map can help. Our Map must not only state where we came from physically but intellectually. As americans our heritage is one of individual freedom as proposed by Jefferson and fought for by Washington. We came here to be free from despots both secular and religous. we have made great progress by capitalising on reality and truth. Those seeking profit through lies and false social control must be argued down, voted down and their minds must be changed.Our constitution allows people to say and believe what they wish but public dissenimation of ignorance,lies and bogotry must be assailed with knowledge truth and tolerance.
                          • eduardathome
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
                              It is unlikely that humans, in their present form, would enter interstellar
                              space. For one thing, our lifetimes do not permit it. Voyager was launched
                              some 35 years ago and has yet to reach interstellar space, albeit almost at
                              the edge. Who is going spend 35 years of their life just getting to the
                              edge of the solar system?? Granted they would travel faster, but basically
                              it is the same result.

                              The closest star is 4.2 light years away. Voyager has a speed of 15
                              km/second or about 5*10^8 km/year.

                              One light year is 9.5*10^12 km so the closest star is about 4.0*10^13 km
                              away. Dividing through the time to get to the closest star at the speed of
                              voyager is about 800,000 years. Even if you significantly increased the
                              speed of the space ship, it is still a lot of years and nowhere close to a
                              human life. If the speed is increased by an order of magnitude it is 80,000
                              years and still too long.

                              If you think in terms of a colony of humans travelling over say a few
                              hundred generations, the problem is that the people who arrive would not be
                              same as having left. I mean in the sense of their humanity. And would they
                              have any interest in sending back some message of their arrival?? Would
                              they have the skills and knowledge to survive on some unknown planet??
                              Would the humans remaining on earth have any interest in receiving the
                              message?? And even if they did have an interest, what would they do about
                              it??

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013

                                > It is unlikely that humans, in their present form, would enter interstellar
                                > space. For one thing, our lifetimes do not permit it. Voyager was launched
                                > some 35 years ago and has yet to reach interstellar space, albeit almost at
                                > the edge. Who is going spend 35 years of their life just getting to the
                                > edge of the solar system?? Granted they would travel faster, but basically
                                > it is the same result.
                                >
                                > The closest star is 4.2 light years away. Voyager has a speed of 15
                                > km/second or about 5*10^8 km/year.
                                >
                                > One light year is 9.5*10^12 km so the closest star is about 4.0*10^13 km
                                > away. Dividing through the time to get to the closest star at the speed of
                                > voyager is about 800,000 years. Even if you significantly increased the
                                > speed of the space ship, it is still a lot of years and nowhere close to a
                                > human life. If the speed is increased by an order of magnitude it is 80,000
                                > years and still too long.
                                >
                                > If you think in terms of a colony of humans travelling over say a few
                                > hundred generations, the problem is that the people who arrive would not be
                                > same as having left. I mean in the sense of their humanity. And would they
                                > have any interest in sending back some message of their arrival?? Would
                                > they have the skills and knowledge to survive on some unknown planet??
                                > Would the humans remaining on earth have any interest in receiving the
                                > message?? And even if they did have an interest, what would they do about
                                > it??
                                >
                                > eduard
                                > Eduard when you lay out the numbers on space it is seen as the cul de sac it turns out to be. When we say we are a terrestrial people we mean exactly what we say. Being a menber of an ecosystem is not like being able to change football teams. You are intimately united with the whole and will remain such. That is why cleving to supernatural schemes is so destructive to the whole. Jumping off the reality of this living system just makes no sense and makes the solid inhabitatts work harder to accomodate the fools. Bill

                              • eduardathome
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
                                  In order to go into interstellar space, we would have to become something
                                  other than what we are. The other reason is that we might not survive the
                                  radiation. That's would be the playground of androids. But in the end, we
                                  are chained to this small blue marble and it is time that we realised it.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 31, 2013
                                    And so little little impediment to exploring the oceans, it's a wonder we haven't done more.

                                    > In order to go into interstellar space, we would have to become something
                                    > other than what we are. The other reason is that we might not survive the
                                    > radiation. That's would be the playground of androids. But in the end, we
                                    > are chained to this small blue marble and it is time that we realised it.
                                    >
                                    > eduard

                                  • William
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 1 9:01 AM
                                      Now I want to talk about where we are going.This is like the moment in the Hunchback of Notre Dame when Quasimodo appears,the audience gasps.For you flat earth devotees and terra centrics let us examine where we are going in terms of where we are.No one wants to accept a relative view but what is your static point?
                                      The earth is rotating at 25000 mph around its own axis. We travel more than a billion years per annum in our race around the sun .The sun is moving at huge angular velocity around the center of the galaxy and the galaxys are flying away from each other fast enough to cause their light to red shift.Even though we move in all these various directions and speeds they add up to only a change of day to night to us as observers.
                                      In our old earth centered view of the universe man ,the only rational animal,was the big deal.The infallible ideas of popes and the power driven will of kings consigned the individual to wrote learning and obedience. When we place ourselves in the world that science reveals to us, we see that thought can lead us to extinction as well as prominance.Jeffersons brillient idea of democratic consensus promoting peace and progress must operate in the clear light of reality.WW 2 was our first look at the wildly destructive side of high science. Hiroshima was shocking . Bikini atoll awe inspiring and Schumacher Levi`s date with Jupiter left no doubt that massive forces can decimate us all.We are in a big show and can ill afford an innorant, superstitous leadership.
                                      Now for quasimodo. Where am I going? I am going to die. What will I know then, I will know nothing.After centuries of priestly hand holding , mankind was presented the truth by the phenominologists,existentialists and yes, the nihilists. The shock killed many of tham by suicide drugs and alcohol.Raised catholic I was taught I was a child of god and an heir to heaven. It took me years of excuse making to accept my personal mortality. For a time I thought of Chardins hyperpersonalisation as an escape, Bullshit. Then I postulated that thought goes on forever into space to be followed back by a superior species who would reincarnate me.Why should they give a damn if they are that superior. I even decided I could put my mind into a computer and clone my body and then download my brillience into a new and viril self. I think all this sort of foolishness derives from our survival instinct and who knows we may learn to survive for a very long time. Earth,however will die when the sun goes Nova. What a fine word,Nova, from the latin for "New". The atoms of our ashes will be blasted into intersteller space to reform into something or someone post nova. I can now live with that. What else can I do?
                                    • William
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 1 12:50 PM
                                        Once you have orientated in this Map there is no lack of responsibility You are in chage of your ship and I am in charge of mine.If you start feeling self important look at the sea after a ship goes down.It does not miss a wave let alone a tide. Between now and death what could be in store? In college I had a debate about the chance of repetative history. Thinking scientifically a moments reality equils the sum of all atomic movements from the moment before.Linear time seems a one way progression with randomness dictating no repetition except for very small homogenous atomic samples. Randomness also negates the possibility of predicting the future. People of faith believe in prophesy As a nihilist I can only guess at probability. It seems we have a major impact , an asteroid or big meteor every one hundred million years. The one that probably did in the dinosaurs happned sixty five million years ago. About all that can be said is that such an impact can happen at any time.I see us as a target waiting for the inevatable hit. We cannot retreat into the past and we cannot predict the future. I think the American People deserve praise for their steadfast adherance to their democrecy during these bloody centuries. I hope we are all paid in the coin of personal freedom. A Modern American Philosophy may be short on faith but it has no end of hope. So many fine Americans have accomplished so much, we carry their hope in our genes. Bill
                                      • eduardathome
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 2 9:51 AM
                                          I watched a commercial for Cadilac ATS. It is sequence of fast driving on
                                          twisting roads supposedly to show the performance of the car. But what they
                                          are selling is an idea ... an impression ... of what you might get by
                                          putting down $40,000 or so.

                                          Yet, in the end the ATS is going to move at the speed of the slowest car in
                                          the traffic line. Eventually you may realise that it's a lie. And you are
                                          living it.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 2 10:00 AM
                                            [What else can I do? ]

                                            Nothing. You are flowing with time and as much as a bubble forms out of hot
                                            water.

                                            Time is the fire in which we burn.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 2 12:59 PM

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 2 1:59 PM
                                                Bill,

                                                I work for causes I'm interested in and care about, those I feel connected with like women's and children's issues, the environment, and safeguarding the democratic process. While I'm alive I may as well do something that helps others and pleases me. I work for what's in my power to affect but also accept what I can't. What lives on are my children and their hopes. Nothing and being are always becoming something. I am what I do; what else is there?

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 2 2:29 PM

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 2 2:33 PM
                                                    You are NOT what you DO. You are thing which is doing it. Find out what
                                                    that thing is. If you were NOT something then you would be able to do
                                                    anything. And that does not mean BELIEVE what you are, it means FIND
                                                    OUT.
                                                    Having fun on facebook. I was banned yesterday after just one day :- )
                                                    But I got back on today with another ID and having fun again :- )

                                                    Dick Richardson

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 2 3:59 PM
                                                      Although there is no grand purpose in it all, and you do what you can, it is
                                                      also possible to conceive of some objective of your own that makes the
                                                      living years more interesting.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 3 9:10 AM