Re: Consciousness requires a brain?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
      It did the same for him as it does for anybody else. Try Ralph Vaughan
      Williams as another example. It enhances ones awareness and the senses
      and also reveals senses that you didn't know you had. It also
      enhances the intellect. It also depends on how many doses you have and
      to what inner depth they go. We are made of far more than you seem to
      realise, and all you have to do is use it. It is the steps to the new
      species of Man. Homo Ensophicus. Evolution goes on. Being and Becoming.

      rwr

      > It's still a car; whether it be my car, your car, your friend's car
      or the
      > firm's car. The point being that the driving experience does not
      occur
      > elsewhere in something other than what might identify as a car.
      Please
      > don't object that it might be a truck or a scooter ... you are well
      aware of
      > my meaning. That consciousness occurs in the brain is obvious because
      it
      > has not been shown that one can be conscious through some object or
      whatever
      > elsewhere. If you can identify by what other object or means you can
      be
      > conscious of something, other than by your brain, please do so.
      >
      > What did Salam do?? The question here is the value of mysticism.
      What did
      > Salam do in the realm of mysticism?? Sure he did a lot in the realm
      of
      > physics. Where you are going with this is like assessing the worth of
      Marie
      > Currie's cooking because she also did a lot of important scientific
      work.
      > You can't separate the woman from the pot.
      >
      > Yes, I "know" Jesus from a book. Actually, more than one. And of
      course he
      > is commonly mentioned in Western culture. So that is the answer. How
      about
      > you answering my question as to what was of value from Salam being a
      mystic.

      > eduard

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013
        I can appreciate that if one has a particular belief system or path of
        inquiry, it can be rewarding for the person who does it. If I were to say
        that I try to commune with the pink elephants on the dark side of Pluto, it
        probably would be personally rewarding in some fashion ... otherwise I would
        not do it. But the question is "what is the value", and in this sense the
        value to others. That is why I pointed out that some mystics [so-called]
        have shown themselves more inclined to collecting Rolls-Royces. In the end,
        they are not providing any value to others, but actually have an negative
        value. Granted that only applies to a few which may not be general.
        Albeit, their example does cause a certain hostility against mysticism.

        Jesus could be considered a mystic, if one looks at his role as that of a
        teacher/rabbi instead of somehow a combination of Father Son and Holy Ghost.
        Jesus can be considered a mystic for reason of his attempts of communion
        with god and the transcendental. At least as supposed according to the
        gospels. One could well ask the question as to whether the product provided
        by Jesus, in his role of mystic, was of value to the world. The main
        product from Jesus was his statement that one should love others as
        yourself. I don't take this as a product of mysticism, since it could be
        said by anyone without being a mystic. The other product of Jesus was his
        forecast of the coming of the Kingdom of God. This could be considered as a
        product of mysticism, but it lead nowhere and perhaps is negative
        considering what the church latter made of it. Was it of value?? Perhaps
        for the Christians of the era who were looking for some out of their pain,
        but I would suggest that in the long run it has not been of value to
        society.

        So we get back to Salam. What product did he produce in his role as mystic
        that was of value??