Re: [existlist] Women in combat

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
      [Now that Prince Harry machine gunned people I think the anti killing taboo
      is falling rapidly.]

      The comment attributed to Harry ... "I've killed Taliban" ... in 2" letters
      on the front page of the Daily Mirror shows that the British yellow press is
      alive and well. I don't think that they specifically have a thing against
      the Royal Family; just that Harry seems a good target at the time. Of
      course he killed Taliban; he is in a war zone flying an attack helicopter.
      Duh!

      I don't quite understand your point that anti-killing is taboo and falling
      rapidly. Has anything changed in fighting a war?? Was there ever a taboo
      against killing the enemy??

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013
          [Eduard, Ihave no problem with killing the Taliban. Many pacifits do. Many
          anti war people do. Many religous do. When a royal admits to killing it
          lowers the bar, makes it more acceptable . More of those anti killing people
          will cleave off at the example of a popular royal. I make no judgment of it
          I mearly notice it and report it . Bill]

          I seriously doubt that a royal killing some Taliban changes anything.
          That's why I suggest that the motive for the front page news is found
          elsewhere. It is just the typical sort of front page that the British
          yellow press like to use. Probably with good reason as there is likely
          enough people wanting to buy the paper. It's like the National Enquirer
          reporting on Ted Kennedy's latest sexual adventure [yes, I am aware he is
          now dead]. The British Press is on the same level as the National Enquirer.
          Which isn't to say that we don't have such press in Canada ... we do ...
          just not so much of it.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013
              Yes ... I have not bought a newspaper in years. Read it on line. I
              recently changed to a French newspaper because it has more news that is of
              interest to me. The pulp and paper industry is being hit hard with this
              technical change.

              I collect newspapers at the office so I have something to start fires with.
              Amazing what other uses you can put it to.

              Also haven't gotten plastic bags in years. I use those cloth bags you can
              buy for less than a buck and reuse until they wear out.