Re: Consciousness requires a brain?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
      NO. How and why is it obvious? Also I have had driving experience which
      was not in my car. It was a friends car or a hired car of the firms car.
      Tell me sir, DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN? And you still did not tell me how you
      know to know of this jesus bloke. Did you get it from a book?
      As for Salam then he was a man and a mystic. You cannot sepperate the
      two. Have you done as much as he did? No. Anyway, if you have a brain
      then what owns it? What is the YOU which has a brain? It is all down to
      godo, it is all down to the brain. You belief this you belief that. Oh
      give me a rest from it all. What have you had to eat today? Did you like
      it? Surely must must know something. If not then what is the good of
      having a brain or being a brain? Oh my gawd there are some smart arses
      here. Shall we talk about the weather?

      rwr

      > "So, if I were to ask you what is it that has conscious experience you
      > would say the brain. You talk of proof. Has that been proved or do you
      > just believe it."
      >
      > Isn't it sort of obvious. If I say I have a conscious experience,
      where
      > else would this occur other than in the brain?? Are you suggesting
      that the
      > conscious experience can occur elsewhere??
      >
      > If I say I have a driving experience then can it be said that this
      > experience occurs other than in my car. Do I need to prove this??
      >
      > eduard

      Consciousness
      > is simply a function. We are conscious when we are aware of stuff,
      like
      > the cold out there. The brain doesn't shut down when you are not being
      > aware of something. It kinda runs on idle, since being aware is
      actually
      > being aware of sensor differences. Humans quickly become unaware when
      > the scene does not change. Like I cannot feel my watch at this moment
      > even though it is a weight on my wrist. Which is also the reason why I
      > have lost the recognition [interesting word] of certain things in my
      > room, because I see them all the time. Consciousness requires a brain.
      > The Cosmos does not have a brain and thus cannot be said to be
      > conscious. eduard ]
      >

      > So, if I were to ask you what is it that has conscious experience you
      > would say the brain. You talk of proof. Has that been proved or do you
      > just believe it. If so then you are a believer. And you imply that
      > believers are nuts :- ) When did you study your brain by the way? And
      > what did you use to study it with? Anyway, how does the brain create
      > consciousness? And what is the very first thing that it is conscious
      of?
      > And where and when does that first consciousness come on the scene and
      > what is it like?
      >

      > Now, what if consciousness just passed through the brain and that the
      > brain being that of a transmitter and a receiver? Does a radio set
      > create the program that passes through it? Do you have proof that that
      > is not the case? Are you absolutely certain? Believers often seem to
      be
      > certain of things do they not. And if so then why do they need to
      > believe it? Also, can you answer my question â€" Given that
      something
      > HAS conscious experience then what exists to become conscious of?
      >

      > rwr

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
        It's still a car; whether it be my car, your car, your friend's car or the
        firm's car. The point being that the driving experience does not occur
        elsewhere in something other than what might identify as a car. Please
        don't object that it might be a truck or a scooter ... you are well aware of
        my meaning. That consciousness occurs in the brain is obvious because it
        has not been shown that one can be conscious through some object or whatever
        elsewhere. If you can identify by what other object or means you can be
        conscious of something, other than by your brain, please do so.

        What did Salam do?? The question here is the value of mysticism. What did
        Salam do in the realm of mysticism?? Sure he did a lot in the realm of
        physics. Where you are going with this is like assessing the worth of Marie
        Currie's cooking because she also did a lot of important scientific work.
        You can't separate the woman from the pot.

        Yes, I "know" Jesus from a book. Actually, more than one. And of course he
        is commonly mentioned in Western culture. So that is the answer. How about
        you answering my question as to what was of value from Salam being a mystic.

        NO. How and why is it obvious? Also I have had driving experience which
        was not in my car. It was a friends car or a hired car of the firms car.
        Tell me sir, DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN? And you still did not tell me how you
        know to know of this jesus bloke. Did you get it from a book?
        As for Salam then he was a man and a mystic. You cannot sepperate the
        two. Have you done as much as he did? No. Anyway, if you have a brain
        then what owns it? What is the YOU which has a brain? It is all down to
        godo, it is all down to the brain. You belief this you belief that. Oh
        give me a rest from it all. What have you had to eat today? Did you like
        it? Surely must must know something. If not then what is the good of
        having a brain or being a brain? Oh my gawd there are some smart arses
        here. Shall we talk about the weather?

        rwr

        > "So, if I were to ask you what is it that has conscious experience you
        > would say the brain. You talk of proof. Has that been proved or do you
        > just believe it."
        >
        > Isn't it sort of obvious. If I say I have a conscious experience,
        where
        > else would this occur other than in the brain?? Are you suggesting
        that the
        > conscious experience can occur elsewhere??
        >
        > If I say I have a driving experience then can it be said that this
        > experience occurs other than in my car. Do I need to prove this??
        >
        > eduard
      • Dick.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
          It did the same for him as it does for anybody else. Try Ralph Vaughan
          Williams as another example. It enhances ones awareness and the senses
          and also reveals senses that you didn't know you had. It also
          enhances the intellect. It also depends on how many doses you have and
          to what inner depth they go. We are made of far more than you seem to
          realise, and all you have to do is use it. It is the steps to the new
          species of Man. Homo Ensophicus. Evolution goes on. Being and Becoming.

          rwr

          > It's still a car; whether it be my car, your car, your friend's car
          or the
          > firm's car. The point being that the driving experience does not
          occur
          > elsewhere in something other than what might identify as a car.
          Please
          > don't object that it might be a truck or a scooter ... you are well
          aware of
          > my meaning. That consciousness occurs in the brain is obvious because
          it
          > has not been shown that one can be conscious through some object or
          whatever
          > elsewhere. If you can identify by what other object or means you can
          be
          > conscious of something, other than by your brain, please do so.
          >
          > What did Salam do?? The question here is the value of mysticism.
          What did
          > Salam do in the realm of mysticism?? Sure he did a lot in the realm
          of
          > physics. Where you are going with this is like assessing the worth of
          Marie
          > Currie's cooking because she also did a lot of important scientific
          work.
          > You can't separate the woman from the pot.
          >
          > Yes, I "know" Jesus from a book. Actually, more than one. And of
          course he
          > is commonly mentioned in Western culture. So that is the answer. How
          about
          > you answering my question as to what was of value from Salam being a
          mystic.

          > eduard

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2013
            I can appreciate that if one has a particular belief system or path of
            inquiry, it can be rewarding for the person who does it. If I were to say
            that I try to commune with the pink elephants on the dark side of Pluto, it
            probably would be personally rewarding in some fashion ... otherwise I would
            not do it. But the question is "what is the value", and in this sense the
            value to others. That is why I pointed out that some mystics [so-called]
            have shown themselves more inclined to collecting Rolls-Royces. In the end,
            they are not providing any value to others, but actually have an negative
            value. Granted that only applies to a few which may not be general.
            Albeit, their example does cause a certain hostility against mysticism.

            Jesus could be considered a mystic, if one looks at his role as that of a
            teacher/rabbi instead of somehow a combination of Father Son and Holy Ghost.
            Jesus can be considered a mystic for reason of his attempts of communion
            with god and the transcendental. At least as supposed according to the
            gospels. One could well ask the question as to whether the product provided
            by Jesus, in his role of mystic, was of value to the world. The main
            product from Jesus was his statement that one should love others as
            yourself. I don't take this as a product of mysticism, since it could be
            said by anyone without being a mystic. The other product of Jesus was his
            forecast of the coming of the Kingdom of God. This could be considered as a
            product of mysticism, but it lead nowhere and perhaps is negative
            considering what the church latter made of it. Was it of value?? Perhaps
            for the Christians of the era who were looking for some out of their pain,
            but I would suggest that in the long run it has not been of value to
            society.

            So we get back to Salam. What product did he produce in his role as mystic
            that was of value??