On getting old and dying?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
      On getting old and dying?

      [ Getting old and dying must be something which most people dread and
      don't like to think about. What is it like Merlin? How does getting
      old effect the Merlin? ]

      What; getting old or dying? :- ))) Well, getting old is a very different
      state of being than was the hey-day of youth :- ) But it is inevitable
      if you live here long enough; for that is what happens. The body
      eventually says Oh sod it :- ) But I suppose it would only be a problem
      if somebody wanted to do the same things which they did in their youth;
      and I sure don't. But it is still a thrill to see the sun shining on
      the snow, as it is here right now. Just been sitting out in the garden
      under the apple trees having a beer in the snow. All the birds are
      singing, the sun looks very pretty on the snow and putting your pint
      glass down in the snow keeps the beer cool in the sun. So getting old,
      for me anyway (can't speak for others) does not take away the fun
      and enjoyment of being here. One of the things which really amazes me is
      as to how a body can work fine and get nothing wrong with it for seventy
      years. When you think of all the things that could go wrong with it then
      that is quite amazing. But when is one actually old? As I have said
      before, consciousness does not age and I am still The Watcher at the
      Gates of Dawn, where there is no eve, no noon, or morn. (c) Merlin of
      Exmoor. Man, you should see what they have done with my poem on the
      internet and all the pictures they have put with it; tis so funny :- )))

      But, I don't know, maybe if somebody keeps dwelling upon what they
      cannot do now, and whilst keep wanting to do it, then maybe that spoils
      the moment for them. But I am not afflicted with that. So, being old is
      just another state of being here. But I was young once so I did not
      miss out on that :- ))) I hope they do not miss the chance of getting
      old. It seems sad to me that many bugger off from here while still young
      and without the chance of living it. But age is one thing and how old
      you feel is another. I don't feel old. But then again I don't
      really know how one is supposed to feel at this age. Nobody told me :- )
      I will see if I can find an instruction book. But the body is one thing
      and the mind is another. And so long as you know which is which, then
      no problem :- ))) As for the other bit then I will tell you what happens
      to me when I get there; I can't see into my future :- )

      Merlin (x)

    • devindersingh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
        Some people, when they are about to die, are aware of it. Why don't they
        tell the genius [of death] to go away?

        Two things are needed. First, nothing in your being, no part of your
        being, should wish to die. That doesn't often happen. You always have,
        somewhere in you, a defeatist: something tired or disgusted, which has
        had enough, something lazy or which doesn't want to fight and says, 'Ah,
        well, let it be over, so much the better.' That's enough - you're dead.

        But it's a fact: if nothing, absolutely nothing in you consents to die,
        you will not die. For someone to die, there is always a second, if a
        hundredth part of a second, when he consents. If there isn't that second
        of consent, he will not die. But who is certain he doesn't have within
        himself, somewhere, a tiny bit of a defeatist which just yields and
        says, 'Oh well'?

        ... Hence the need to unify oneself. Whatever the path we may follow,
        the subject we may study, we always reach the same result. The most
        important thing for an individual is to unify himself around his divine
        center; that way he becomes a real individual, master of himself and of
        his destiny. Otherwise, he is a plaything of the forces, which toss him
        about like a cork in a stream. He goes where he doesn't want to, is made
        to do what he doesn't want to, and finally he gets lost in a hole
        without any way to stop himself doing so. But if you are consciously
        organized, unified around the divine center, governed and led by it, you
        are the master of your destiny. It's worth trying.... At any rate, I
        find it's better to be the master rather than the slave.
        QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, JULY 1, 1953 MOTHER

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 25, 2013
          [But it's a fact: if nothing, absolutely nothing in you consents to die, you
          will not die.]

          Astounding. You are saying that my neighbour who died of a heart attack;
          died because he was a defeatist or lazy. Where do you get this stuff??