Re: Inspiration

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
      So you don't believe or think there are base instincts. What the
      hell does it matter what you believe or think? I know there are base
      instincts. And I found them too. Did you ever look for them? Ahh, it
      is a waste of time talking to a believer.

      rwr

      > I don't believe that there are base "instincts" or "animal
      impulsions", as
      > if these were somehow packaged and transmitted to new beings at their
      birth.

      > I think that the human or animal has an "ability". For example, both
      the
      > human and the animal have an ability to kill for cause. That is, they
      can
      > act in a manner which is sufficient to end with the death of another
      ... for
      > some reason. The difference lies in whatever constraints that may be
      > applied. A human towards adulthood may learn that the use of this
      ability
      > is constrained in certain cases. It is not so much an abstract matter
      of
      > right or wrong, but that to kill is adverse to the survival of the
      > community. It is matter of practicality. It has nothing to do with
      the
      > play of "supernal [sic] Divine Will".
      >
      > I think that overall, humans tend to invent this "animal impulsions"
      thing,
      > as if to say that animals act in a completely unconstrained fashion.
      Which
      > is far from the truth. Animals do kill, but do not usually do so
      within
      > their own community. If animals could talk, they would likely be
      saying to
      > their young ... "do not allow yourself to be carried away by your
      human
      > impulsions".
      >
      > eduard

      Nature. To
      > that end yoga seeks a power that transcends the human will, brings
      into play
      > the supernal puissance of a Divine Will.
      > This is the real meaning and sense of the moral struggle in man, the
      > continuous endeavour towards a transvaluation of the primary and
      aboriginal
      > instincts and impulses. Looked at from one end, from below up the
      ascending
      > line, man's ethical and spiritual ideals are a dissimulation and
      sublimation
      > of the animal impulsions. But this is because â€"as we see, if we
      look from
      > the other end, from above down the descending line â€" man is not
      all
      > instinct, he is not a mere blind instrument in the hands of Nature
      forces.
      > He has in him another source, an opposite pole of being from which
      other
      > impulsions flow and continually modify the structure of the lower
      levels. If
      > the animal is the foundation of his nature, the divine is its summit.
      If the
      > bodily demands form his manifest reality, the demands of the spirit
      enshrine
      > his higher reality. And if as regards the former he is a slave, as
      regards
      > the latter he is the Master. It is by the interaction of these double
      forces
      > that his whole nature has been and is being fashioned.

      http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticContent\
      /Sriaurobindoashram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Nolini%20Kanta%20Gup\
      ta/Volume-1/-08_A%20Theory%20of%20Yoga.html

      nation.http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-philosophy-not-religion.htm---

      > > > enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative
      perspectives when
      > > > one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of
      thinking
      > > > norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to
      combine
      > > > and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy
      > > > expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries
      one
      > > > in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The
      integrity
      > > > of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals.
      An