The reason for doing Yoga?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2013
      The reason for doing Yoga?

      [ Developed in India, yoga is a spiritual practice that has been
      evolving for the last 5,000 years or so. The original yogis were
      reacting, in part, to India's ancient Vedic religion, which emphasized
      rituals. The yogis wanted a direct spiritual experience -- one on one --
      not symbolic ritual. So they developed yoga. Yoga means "union" in
      Sanskrit, the classical language of India.

      According to the yogis, true happiness, liberation and enlightenment
      comes from union with the divine consciousness known as Brahman, or with
      Atman, the transcendent Self. The various yoga practices are a
      methodology for reaching that goal. Statistics show that one third of
      the people in the USA practice yoga and spend billions of dollars on it.
      ]

      So what is union with the divine consciousness like? Please describe it
      for me. And do all those who do Yoga reach that state eventually? All
      that money spent on Yoga eh. Does the divine get a cut or percentage of
      it? I wonder what the divine consciousness does when millions of people
      are not entering into its consciousness. I wonder if it feels as though
      it is being raped. And how does it differ from human consciousness?

      rwr