Re: The Safeguard of Ignorance

  • devindersingh
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2013
      THERE is a mental approach to spiritual truths and there is a direct and immediate approach or rather contact. The mind sees as though through a mist, a darkling glass, a more or less opaque veil, and the thing envisaged presents a blurred and not unoften a deformed appearance. The mind has its own pre-dispositions – its own categories and terms, its own forms and figures-which it has to use when it seeks to express that which is beyond it. Naturally the object, the truth as it is, it cannot apprehend or represent; it gives as it were the reverse side of an embroidery work. It goes round about the thing, has to take recourse to all kinds of contortions and gymnastics and grimaces to ape the natural gesture of the truth. But mind acts in this way, as a veil rather than' a medium, when one is stationed in it or below it and strains to look at what is above and beyond. On the other hand, if the consciousness is stationed above the mind, that is to say, if it has direct access or contact with the truth, the spiritual reality, in that case, mind need not act as a veil, it too can be made transparent, and sufflused with the higher light, it too can translate faithfully, present and embody the reality beyond somewhat as it actually is, in its native rhythm and figure and not diffracted and diffused through a hazy atmosphere.
      European thought, European philosophy particularly, moves under the aegis of the Mind. It takes its stand within the Mind and from there tries to reach out to truths and realities; and therefore, however far it goes, its highest flights of perception, its most intimate contacts with spirit-truths are 'sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought'. The Indian standpoint, on the contrary, is first to contact the truth by a direct realisation – through meditation, concentration, an uplifting and a deepening of the consciousness, through Yoga, spiritual discipline, and then endeavour to express the truth thus realised, directly intuited or revealed, through mental terms, to make it familiar and communicable to the normal intelligence. Mind, so subordinated and keyed to a new rhythm, becomes, as far as it is possible for it, a channel, a vehicle and not a veil. All the main systems of Indian philosophy have this characteristic as their background. Each stands on a definite experience, a spiritual realisation, a direct contact with an aspect of truth and in and -through that seeks to give a world-view, building "up an intellectual system, marshalling rational conclusions that are natural to it or derive inevitably from it. In the Upanishads, which preceded the Darshanas, the spiritual realisations were not yet mentally systematised or logically buttressed: truths were delivered there as self-evident statements, as certitudes luminous in their own authenticity. We accept them without question and take them into our consciousness as forming its fundamental norms, structuring its most intimate inscape. This is darśana, seeing, as philosophy is named in India. One sees the truth or reality and describes it as it is seen, its limbs and gestures, its constituents and functions. Philosophy here is fundamentally a recording of one's vision and a translation or presentation of it in mental terms.
      http://www.sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticContent/Sriaurobindoashram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Nolini%20Kanta%20Gupta/Volume-1/-61_Darshana%20and%20Philosophy.html
      Gulati

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2013
        I did not say that the evolution of conscious awareness has no value. I
        said that mysticism is of no value. Although I would more likely say that
        it is the brain which has been subject to evolution, our ability to be aware
        of stuff could be also be said to be evolved.

        I would use the definition of mysticism as provided by Wikipedia ...

        "Mysticism is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or conscious
        awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through
        direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight. Mysticism usually centers
        on practices intended to nurture those experiences. Mysticism may be
        dualistic, maintaining a distinction between the self and the divine, or may
        be non-dualistic."

        I can accept that certain people pursuing such as spiritual truth may come
        up with expressions that may be of help to others in earlier periods of
        human history, in that it may provide some mental comfort, but I don't see
        this as being of value today. Especially when there is no god and things
        divine have not been shown to be real.

        The value of a mystic is the value of what he/she produces for others. So
        one could then ask what specifically related to this pursuit has been of
        worth, as compared to the statements which could come from a non-mystic.

        Was Jesus a mystic?? It's hard to tell, because we don't have an insight
        into his own mind. But he did express the idea of ... love one another as
        yourself. Is this a statement of a mystic?? Seems to me that you don't
        need to be a mystic to come up with that ethic. It is in the realm of the
        obvious.

        In any case, what is your point regarding Abdus Salam?? I have not known of
        him other than what I have now read about him on the internet. He is a
        physicist, or perhaps you are referring to some other Abdus Salam.

        What is most interesting in your post is that you haven't provided an
        example of something provided by a mystic that one might take as being of
        value.

        So the evolution of conscious awareness has no value? Well you must be
        the expert on that as well. Perhaps you would care to tell us what such
        experiences reveal and what effects they have. Perhaps you could also
        name a few people who were mystics. How many mystical experiences have
        you had and how long have you been having them? Hey, tell me, was Abdus
        Salam a mystic or not? Did he fleece people for money by spewing a load
        of junk and getting rich on the proceeds? Do you know what you are
        talking about? What effect did they have on you? Tell us about it.

        As for mining for minerals on asteroids and other bodies in space in
        time to come then it would only cost a lot of money to societies that
        used money as a means of exchange for labour. But for those who did not
        then it would not cost anything at all; other than work and effort.

        So you can appreciate that Wilde made that comment just for effect? And
        that makes it right does it? I can appreciate that he did not. I can
        appreciate that he meant it. When you talk and write then what effect
        are you aiming to achieve? And why?

        rwr

        > Probably because myticism has never revealed it has anything of value,
        and
        > this stuff such as "altered states of consciousness" has not been
        shown to
        > be real. In the information age, people just get tired of hearing the
        same
        > old, same old. Like Oral Roberts saying that god would "call him
        home"
        > unless he got another $8 million in donations. Or that Guru in Oregon
        with
        > his 93 Rolls-Royces. It's no wonder there is some hostility.
        >
        > eduard

      • Dick.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2013
          So you get your understanding of what mystical altered states of
          conscious is from wackypeadia :- ))) That says it all. Yes I did mean
          that Abdus Salam and he was a mystic. It was he who first asked me to
          write a book about it. And hearing it was useful to him. What the frig
          has this jesus geezer got to do with mystical experience???? You
          don't obviously know a thing about it. So best keep your hush on
          that topic. It is nothing to do with religions or beliefs. Did you
          know that religions pinch stuff and then mess with it? No, I guess you
          did not. So, what have you left the world which is useful then? And are
          you the judge of what is useful to the world?

          rwr

          > I did not say that the evolution of conscious awareness has no value.
          > said that mysticism is of no value. Although I would more likely say
          that
          > it is the brain which has been subject to evolution, our ability to be
          aware
          > of stuff could be also be said to be evolved.
          >
          > I would use the definition of mysticism as provided by Wikipedia ...
          >
          > "Mysticism is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or
          conscious
          > awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God
          through
          > direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight. Mysticism usually
          centers
          > on practices intended to nurture those experiences. Mysticism may be
          > dualistic, maintaining a distinction between the self and the divine,
          or may
          > be non-dualistic."
          >
          > I can accept that certain people pursuing such as spiritual truth may
          come
          > up with expressions that may be of help to others in earlier periods
          of
          > human history, in that it may provide some mental comfort, but I don't
          see
          > this as being of value today. Especially when there is no god and
          things
          > divine have not been shown to be real.
          >
          > The value of a mystic is the value of what he/she produces for others.
          So
          > one could then ask what specifically related to this pursuit has been
          of
          > worth, as compared to the statements which could come from a
          non-mystic.

          > Was Jesus a mystic?? It's hard to tell, because we don't have an
          insight
          > into his own mind. But he did express the idea of ... love one
          another as
          > yourself. Is this a statement of a mystic?? Seems to me that you
          don't
          > need to be a mystic to come up with that ethic. It is in the realm of
          the
          > obvious.
          >
          > In any case, what is your point regarding Abdus Salam?? I have not
          known of
          > him other than what I have now read about him on the internet. He is
          > physicist, or perhaps you are referring to some other Abdus Salam.
          >
          > What is most interesting in your post is that you haven't provided an
          > example of something provided by a mystic that one might take as being
          of
          > value.
          >
          > eduard

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2013
            It is of interest to note that Indians somehow have a different brain than
            Europeans.

            Taking the tone of your post, I would say that Indians through their Yoga or
            whatever are able to invent what they think is the truth. Whereas the
            European can see the truth directly without all this preparation, because
            "truth" is the obvious.

            If I am wrong, then please identify a truth which can be seen by an Indian
            and not a European.

> [...]

            > So you can appreciate that Wilde made that comment just for effect? And
            > that makes it right does it? I can appreciate that he did not. I can
            > appreciate that he meant it. When you talk and write then what effect
            > are you aiming to achieve? And why?
            >
            > rwr

            > > Probably because myticism has never revealed it has anything of value,
            > and
            > > this stuff such as "altered states of consciousness" has not been
            > shown to
            > > be real. In the information age, people just get tired of hearing the
            > same
            > > old, same old. Like Oral Roberts saying that god would "call him
            > home"
            > > unless he got another $8 million in donations. Or that Guru in Oregon
            > with
            > > his 93 Rolls-Royces. It's no wonder there is some hostility.

          • eduardathome
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2013
              You still have not given an example of some product resulting from mysticism
              which is of value.

              I posed Jesus to give an example of one who might be considered a mystic. I
              should think that the term "mystic" might apply when Jesus was a Rabbi who
              was said to have communion with God. Yet what he came up with was mundane
              and obvious. Albeit I would accept some people have to be told the mundane
              in order to realise it. But the mundane does not require a mystic.

              So over to you. If Abdus Salam is your example of a mystic, what did he
              produce as a mystic that was of value??