RE: The Remembering

  • BOURTON, SAM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
      Tom Brooks wrote:

      ((I am going to stop here.....Otherwise, I think you're just babbling. As
      of now I have no reason to accept a phrase of what you have stated.))

      I am going to tentatively suggest that we don't set out to tear each others
      posts apart in this manner. Whether you think Christopher Wynter is
      "babbling" or not is besides the point. Yes if you want to engage someone
      in a discussion because you disagree with what they say, that is fine, but
      history would suggest that a wholesale and public flogging of their posts in
      this manner can detriment the list (and must be fairly offensive to the
      person who made the post). The last couple of months has seen some very
      different and interesting posts on this list and I certainly don't want to

      I'm really not trying to dictate anything. It's just that I remember when I
      wrote a thesis once I gave it a friend and asked her to proof read it for
      me. When she gave it back to me two weeks later, just about every single
      line in the thesis had been marked with comments like "I don't agree with
      this", "this is wrong, I would have put this...", and it really upset me.
      If you disagree with something to the extent that you have to criticise
      almost every single line of someone's ideas then either you shouldn't
      comment on their stuff at all, or you should trace your disagreements back
      to the origin of the split (perhaps a different metaphysics or epistemology)
      and take up the discussion from there.

      Cheers,

      sam
      This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System
      http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp