Re: Mystical Experience and Evolution?

  • devindersingh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2013
      Our evolution is the becoming. We become the being we aspire to be. In
      our normal living we are not the true being. We strive to become that
      true being - the psychic being. Thus spake Sri Aurobindo: [in 1918] It
      has been well said by one who saw but through a veil and mistook the
      veil for the face that thy aim is to become thyself; and he said well
      again that the nature of man is to transcend himself. This is indeed his
      nature and that is indeed the divine aim of his self-transcending. What
      then is the self that thou hast to transcend and what is the Self that
      thou hast to become? For it is here that thou shouldst make no error;
      for this error, not to know thyself, is the fountain of all thy grief
      and the cause of all thy stumbling. That which thou hast to transcend
      is the self that thou appearest to be, and that is man as thou knowest
      him, the apparent Purusha. And what is this man? He is a mental being
      enslaved to life and matter; and where he is not enslaved to life and
      matter, he is the slave of his mind. But this is a great and heavy
      servitude; for to be the slave of mind is to be the slave of the false,
      the limited and the apparent. The Self that thou hast to become is that
      self that thou art within behind the veil of mind and life and matter.
      It is to be the spiritual, the divine, the superman, the real Purusha.
      For that which is above the mental being is the superman. It is to be
      the master of thy mind, thy life and thy body; it is to be a king over
      Nature of whom thou art now the tool, lifted above her who now has thee
      under her feet. It is to be free and not a slave, to be one and not
      divided, to be immortal and not obscured by death, to be full of light
      and not darkened, to be full of bliss and not the sport of grief and
      suffering, to be uplifted into power and not cast down into weakness. It
      is to live in the Infinite and possess the finite It is to live in God
      and be one with him in his being. To become thyself is to be this and
      all that flows from it. Be free in thyself, and therefore free in thy
      mind, free in thy life and thy body. For the Spirit is freedom. Be one
      with God and all beings; live in thyself and not in thy little ego. For
      the Spirit is unity. Be thyself immortal, and put not thy faith in
      death; for death is not of thyself, but of thy body. For the Spirit is
      immortality. To be immortal is to be infinite in being and consciousness
      and bliss; for the Spirit is infinite and that which is finite lives
      only by his infinity. These things thou art, therefore thou canst
      become all these; but if thou art not these things, then thou couldst
      never become them. What is within thee, that alone can be revealed in
      thy being. Thou appearest indeed to be other than this, but wherefore
      shouldst thou enslave thyself to appearances? Rather arise, transcend
      thyself, become thyself. Thou art man and the whole nature of man is to
      become more than himself. He was the man-animal, he has become more than
      the animal man. He is the thinker, the craftsman, the seeker after
      beauty. He shall be more than the thinker, he shall be the seer of
      knowledge; he shall be more than the craftsman, he shall be the creator
      and master of his creation; he shall be more than the seeker of beauty,
      for he shall enjoy all beauty and all delight. Physical he seeks for
      this immortal substance; vital he seeks after immortal life and the
      infinite power of his being; mental and partial in knowledge, he seeks
      after the whole light and the utter vision. To possess these is to
      become the superman; for he is to rise out of mind into the Supermind.
      Call it the divine mind or Knowledge or the Supermind; it is the power
      and light of the divine will and the divine consciousness. By the
      Supermind the Spirit saw and created himself in the worlds, by that he
      lives in them and governs them. By that he is Swarat Samrat, self-ruler
      and all-ruler. Supermind is superman; therefore to rise beyond mind is
      the condition. To be the superman is to live the divine life, to be a
      god; for the gods are the powers of God. Be a power of God in humanity.
      To live in the divine Being and let the consciousness and bliss, the
      will and knowledge of the Spirit possess thee and play with thee and
      through thee, this is the meaning. This is the transfiguration
      of thyself on the mountain. It is to discover God as thyself and reveal
      him to thyself in all things. Live in his being, shine with his light,
      act with his power, rejoice with his bliss. Be that Fire and that Sun
      and that Ocean. Be that joy and that greatness and that beauty. When
      thou hast done this even in part, thou hast attained to the first steps
      of supermanhood. SABCL Vol 17 [pp
      74-76]http://www.spuvvn.edu/academics/academic_chairs/aurobindo/emag2011\
      /emag_jun11.pdf Dick has wasted the mystical experiences he