Asteroid Mining Project?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
      Asteroid Mining Project?

      [ "A new venture is joining the effort to extract mineral resources on
      asteroids. The announcement of plans by Deep Space Industries to exploit
      the rare metals present in the space rocks turns asteroid mining into a
      two-horse race. The other venture, Planetary Resources, went public with
      its proposals last year. Advocates of asteroid mining hope it could turn
      into a trillion-dollar business, but some scientists are highly
      sceptical of the idea. Deep Space Industries wants to send a fleet of
      asteroid-prospecting spacecraft out into the Solar System to hunt for
      resources". It looks as though your fiction novel and the DSSN might be
      coming true now. ]

      :- ) It might one day. But even mining on Asteroids is a long way off
      yet. Let alone many vast space station in orbit around the sun beyond
      Mars. DSSN means the Deep Space Security Network. Well, in my fiction
      novel anyway :- ) But it is not a science fantasy book. It could come
      true. And just think, any human being NOT born on earth would be an
      alien from outer space :- )))) There is nought to say that we could not
      get there; one day in the dim and distant future. We sure cannot stay
      here and survive beyond the capability for the earth to sustain life.
      But I predicted that a start would be made about now and the satellite
      homes establish in about three or four hundred years time. But the novel
      goes way beyond that; and the BIG revolution was a few thousand years
      off from now. And I did say that not all the fiction book was fiction;
      even though most of it is. AS YET.

      CQ, CQ is there anybody out there?

      Only me, from over the sea,

      Said ***** ******, from Acron :- )

      Ouch, I must not give the plot away :- )

      rwr

    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dick." wrote:

        > Asteroid Mining Project?
        >
        > [ "A new venture is joining the effort to extract mineral resources on
        > asteroids. The announcement of plans by Deep Space Industries to exploit
        > the rare metals present in the space rocks turns asteroid mining into a
        > two-horse race. The other venture, Planetary Resources, went public with
        > its proposals last year. Advocates of asteroid mining hope it could turn
        > into a trillion-dollar business, but some scientists are highly
        > sceptical of the idea. Deep Space Industries wants to send a fleet of
        > asteroid-prospecting spacecraft out into the Solar System to hunt for
        > resources". It looks as though your fiction novel and the DSSN might be
        > coming true now. ]
        >
        > :- ) It might one day. But even mining on Asteroids is a long way off
        > yet. Let alone many vast space station in orbit around the sun beyond
        > Mars. DSSN means the Deep Space Security Network. Well, in my fiction
        > novel anyway :- ) But it is not a science fantasy book. It could come
        > true. And just think, any human being NOT born on earth would be an
        > alien from outer space :- )))) There is nought to say that we could not
        > get there; one day in the dim and distant future. We sure cannot stay
        > here and survive beyond the capability for the earth to sustain life.
        > But I predicted that a start would be made about now and the satellite
        > homes establish in about three or four hundred years time. But the novel
        > goes way beyond that; and the BIG revolution was a few thousand years
        > off from now. And I did say that not all the fiction book was fiction;
        > even though most of it is. AS YET.
        >
        > CQ, CQ is there anybody out there?
        >
        > Only me, from over the sea,
        >
        > Said ***** ******, from Acron :- )
        >
        > Ouch, I must not give the plot away :- )
        >
        > rwr
        > Merlin, A great topic,space exploration is wildly unpredictable. Our little old mars explorer is still chugging around years after it was designed to last. It has a dead wheel but can go backwards and is still sending back data. Commercial uses are slowly coming forward but supplies of strategic materials will have to be depleated to necessitate a space search. Distant environments are expensive places to operate,I would point to the gas plant that was attacked in Libia. The deep desert is like another world with a level of isolation that makes it vulnerable. When a system goes down replacement parts may take years to arrive and disposable robots surly become better workers than people who have to be evacuated when systems fail.
        The criminals who attacked the BP gas facility were after hostages. It seems their leader was into smuggling and kidnapping. In the future space pirats are a possibility. Could we see a new age of buccaneering ? Romantic,yes, fun,yes.
        So thanks for writing outside the box and thinking of truly futuristic things. With the horrible weather we are both experiencing sitting in the cold cabin leaves time for a bit of fantasy. It is brutally cold here and it sounds like you are having an Iowa like winter. Wear your hat,Dick, wear your gloves, wear heavy lugged boots and dress in layers. Go to the pub and see people . I hope your wife gets back soon and can watch over you. It is not good to be alone in the cold. Bill

      • Dick.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
          Yes I am keeping warm thanks. Plenty of layers on :- ) And yes they look
          after me well, and there is plenty of food in, and cakes; and few nice
          beers. The bloody power has been off five times today, which is unusual
          for here. Probably lines down with so much snow on them. Kathy got to
          France OK and phones me up. She is staying with my son and his lady for
          a few days up near the Alps. She is going to do some skiing.

          Here, try this Novel while it is cold there, you may well find it
          exciting. The chapters are in the files section at
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_Aldeen_Ordinance/

          It isn't chat group it is just for the book. It has it ALL in it
          including a bloody great revolution. Let me know what you think if you
          do. Many have read it including one of my daughters :- )

          Merlin of Exmoor

          -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:

> [...]
          arrive and disposable robots surly become better workers than people
          who have to be evacuated when systems fail.
          > The criminals who attacked the BP gas facility were after hostages. It
          seems their leader was into smuggling and kidnapping. In the future
          space pirats are a possibility. Could we see a new age of buccaneering
          ? Romantic,yes, fun,yes.
          > So thanks for writing outside the box and thinking of truly futuristic
          things. With the horrible weather we are both experiencing sitting in
          the cold cabin leaves time for a bit of fantasy. It is brutally cold
          here and it sounds like you are having an Iowa like winter. Wear your
          hat,Dick, wear your gloves, wear heavy lugged boots and dress in layers.
          Go to the pub and see people . I hope your wife gets back soon and can
          watch over you. It is not good to be alone in the cold. Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
            "Advocates of asteroid mining hope it could turn into a trillion-dollar
            business."

            Just how much would it cost to build that space fleet and turn an
            asteroid/plant into something where humans can live?? I suspect that it
            would cost tens if not hundreds of times more to get there and do mining
            than could be obtained from the sale of minerals. So far the International
            Space Station has cost something like $150 billion, and they are not even
            collecting rocks, only circling around the earth like a weight on the end of
            a string.