Re: [existlist] The Two Tragedies in life?

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
      The person who asked that question and chose to use the word "tragedy"
      therein shows that he/she is completely disconnected from the real world.
      Or perhaps as a spoilt child who has yet to enter the world and isn't aware
      of what tragedy is. I can think of a whole lot of other stuff which would
      qualify as tragedy which is other than not getting what you want and getting
      what you want.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
        The person who said it was Oscar Wilde, far better well known and read
        than you or I. His life experience was plainly very different from
        yours or mine. But he was hardly an inexperienced young fool. Had you
        pumped the saying into the search engine you would have found out who it
        was soon enough. His gift and eloquence in writing was phenomenal.
        Don't think you could equal it.

        As for the other email in which you claim `only an expression'
        then it is often the case especially young people can take expressions
        seriously. But it is just as easy to say what you actually mean. Look
        how seriously most Yanks take the Bible :- ))) And hundreds of
        expressions in daily life originate from that bloody stupid book. N.B. I
        don't need to be told what and what not to take seriously and
        `worry' about thanks. Been around too much and too long to get
        knickers into a twist.

        rwr

        -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome wrote:

        > The person who asked that question and chose to use the word "tragedy"
        > therein shows that he/she is completely disconnected from the real
        world.
        > Or perhaps as a spoilt child who has yet to enter the world and isn't
        aware
        > of what tragedy is. I can think of a whole lot of other stuff which
        would
        > qualify as tragedy which is other than not getting what you want and
        getting
        > what you want.
        >
        > eduard

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
          I can appreciate that Oscar Wilde said it for affect. But that doesn't
          change my point. If it were thought that the awareness of Wilde was
          necessary to illuminate the meaning, then why not do that in the first place
          instead of keeping the author secret. I took the saying as it was presented
          and as such it was just plain silly. You yourself commented that the two
          experiences are not necessarily "tragic".

          Do you recall ... "It is that which was said which is under question, not
          the personal habits of the speaker of them." So why bring up the speaker
          now?? In your post you carry on about how the saying is not true. I just
          went the extra step of making the assessment that it was childish, as it
          undoubtedly is.