The Two Tragedies in life?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
      The Two Tragedies in life?

      There are two tragedies in life (so I have heard it said). One is not
      getting what you want; and the other is getting it. Claimed to have been
      said by somebody who was accused of being a homo sexual. Maybe he was
      and maybe he wasn't. But so what? It is that which was said which is
      under question, not the personal habits of the speaker of them. Is it
      true that there are only two tragedies in life? And is it true as to
      what was said above regarding what they are? How do you find it?

      Have you ever acquired something which you really wanted, and if so did
      you find the acquisition of it to be tragic? Can't say that I found
      it to be tragic. So not true in my case. Mind you there was not a lot
      which I ever wanted to have. And I got more than I ever wanted for. He
      failed to mention however that the chase for something which you want
      can also be an unexpected pleasant joy and an exciting task in itself.

      Neither did he seem to go into the question of how one is sure of
      knowing what one really wants. If you acquire something which you really
      wanted and then find the acquisition of it to be tragic then surely you
      did not really want that thing and it was not really what you were
      looking for, and then you go looking for something else. Which in itself
      can become a giddy spiral. But not wanting much seems to eliminate such
      a spiral being set up in the first place. We certainly come into this
      world in need of a few things, for we come into this world helpless. But
      do we come into this world wanting things? So, when does wanting things
      come onto the scene and how? You see something then the I want it may
      kick in. But most of the things we need cannot be seen. Can somebody
      want something before they experience the existence of that thing?

      But either way I personally always found it to be reasonable to ask
      oneself why is the thing which is wanted, wanted? And then to analyse
      that feeling. Chew on it for a few days then you might find that you
      don't really want it at all. And in which case it will save
      fruitless labour and time in chasing after it. And then of course there
      is the bit about things just coming and then wow! What do you really
      really want? I know that I need air to breath, but I do not want for it,
      for it is already there. Many have told me that they want to be loved.
      Well, OK, fine. But why do they want to be loved? What will it do for
      them?

      Some say that it would make them feel `whole'. But if so then
      they must be feeling to be not whole. So how did they get like that?
      What went missing? When, why and how did it go missing? I felt that
      there was something missing when I was very small. Some answers. For it
      was self evident that I was full of questions. I knew that I was
      ignorant. And that was a fortuitous find. Hence some looking for answers
      kicked in. It struck me that it was totally idiotic that something could
      know that it exists yet not know what it is and where it came from and
      why it exists. When a few answers came (not many of them but just a few)
      then I certainly did not find the acquisition of them to be tragic. But
      in my experience I found there to be far more than two tragedies on this
      world. So, I cannot agree with the very `clever' gentleman at
      all.

      rwr

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
        The person who asked that question and chose to use the word "tragedy"
        therein shows that he/she is completely disconnected from the real world.
        Or perhaps as a spoilt child who has yet to enter the world and isn't aware
        of what tragedy is. I can think of a whole lot of other stuff which would
        qualify as tragedy which is other than not getting what you want and getting
        what you want.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2013
          The person who said it was Oscar Wilde, far better well known and read
          than you or I. His life experience was plainly very different from
          yours or mine. But he was hardly an inexperienced young fool. Had you
          pumped the saying into the search engine you would have found out who it
          was soon enough. His gift and eloquence in writing was phenomenal.
          Don't think you could equal it.

          As for the other email in which you claim `only an expression'
          then it is often the case especially young people can take expressions
          seriously. But it is just as easy to say what you actually mean. Look
          how seriously most Yanks take the Bible :- ))) And hundreds of
          expressions in daily life originate from that bloody stupid book. N.B. I
          don't need to be told what and what not to take seriously and
          `worry' about thanks. Been around too much and too long to get
          knickers into a twist.

          rwr

          -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome wrote:

          > The person who asked that question and chose to use the word "tragedy"
          > therein shows that he/she is completely disconnected from the real
          world.
          > Or perhaps as a spoilt child who has yet to enter the world and isn't
          aware
          > of what tragedy is. I can think of a whole lot of other stuff which
          would
          > qualify as tragedy which is other than not getting what you want and
          getting
          > what you want.
          >
          > eduard

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
            I can appreciate that Oscar Wilde said it for affect. But that doesn't
            change my point. If it were thought that the awareness of Wilde was
            necessary to illuminate the meaning, then why not do that in the first place
            instead of keeping the author secret. I took the saying as it was presented
            and as such it was just plain silly. You yourself commented that the two
            experiences are not necessarily "tragic".

            Do you recall ... "It is that which was said which is under question, not
            the personal habits of the speaker of them." So why bring up the speaker
            now?? In your post you carry on about how the saying is not true. I just
            went the extra step of making the assessment that it was childish, as it
            undoubtedly is.