All Men are Created Equal?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
      All Men are Created Equal?

      "We hold these truths to be self evident. All Men are created
      equal". The unifying attempt cry of the USA. United? Huh!

      Man is not created! And human beings are not all born here equal. It is
      bloody utter nonsense. And they call it self evident. And one nation
      under god !!! Phhhhttt:>!

      It is because people are NOT born equal that human beings have to take
      care of each other; and no matter how they are born here. Healthy,
      sickly, weak, strong, clever stupid, aggressive, timid, talented, not
      talented, whatever, etc etc. I would wager that not all people elected
      to power in the USA are religious freaks. But nevertheless they still
      cow-tow to it. It is the only way they could get elected. FREEDOM? My
      aunt fanny.

      But all men and women should be given the same rights and the same
      chance to bring forth their talents, and all given the same kind of
      justice.

      Man emanates forth. It (we) are not created.

      Dick Richardson

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
        I should think that the phrase is an expression of principle, not specifics
        such as everyone is born healthy, etc..

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013

          > I should think that the phrase is an expression of principle, not specifics
          > such as everyone is born healthy, etc..
          >
          > eduard
          >Eduard, Indeed,these were the words of a great man of the 1780`s. Long time ago. Jefferson was a gentleman farmer on the far brink of civilisation. One hundred years later the president learned to write by scraping charcoal on a shovel. There was no base and the native americans were still in the stone age. The word equil is a hard concept to grasp and I agree it has little to do with complicated beings like humans. Jefferson was trying to justify a revolution against the greatest power on earth. First he had to break with England and then he needed to build a system of laws. What we have done in North America is spectacular and some inacuracy in the hope of survival seems trivial. Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2013
            It has taken a long time to actually get to the "equal" bit.

            > I should think that the phrase is an expression of principle, not
            > specifics
            > such as everyone is born healthy, etc..
            >
            > eduard
            >Eduard, Indeed,these were the words of a great man of the 1780`s. Long time
            >ago. Jefferson was a gentleman farmer on the far brink of civilisation. One
            >hundred years later the president learned to write by scraping charcoal on
            >a shovel. There was no base and the native americans were still in the
            >stone age. The word equil is a hard concept to grasp and I agree it has
            >little to do with complicated beings like humans. Jefferson was trying to
            >justify a revolution against the greatest power on earth. First he had to
            >break with England and then he needed to build a system of laws. What we
            >have done in North America is spectacular and some inacuracy in the hope of
            >survival seems trivial. Bill

          • Dick.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
              Why SHOULD you think this? And how do you know what you should and
              should not think? Please explain. And who's principle did you have in
              mind when deciding that you SHOULD THINK it? rwr

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                indeed, almost a hundred years to abolish slavery and another hundred to guarantee civil rights. Equal protection and equal opportunity are ideas not yet fully implemented, but we fight on. I also think it's important that our corporate aristocracy be prevented from denying representation to we citizens through their lobbying and 'social organizations' and just as importantly, be prevented from denying these rights to others while doing business beyond our borders. These are the legacies of Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. Their vision extended to all who struggle for their inalienable rights, no matter the source.

                > It has taken a long time to actually get to the "equal" bit.
                >
                > eduard

              • William
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                    I'm waiting to see how the Senate changes the rules about the silent filibuster. I see we both have a couple senators working to end obstruction.

                    Organizing For Action will be a non-profit aimed at continuing progressive policies.

                    > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > indeed, almost a hundred years to abolish slavery and another hundred to guarantee civil rights. Equal protection and equal opportunity are ideas not yet fully implemented, but we fight on. I also think it's important that our corporate aristocracy be prevented from denying representation to we citizens through their lobbying and 'social organizations' and just as importantly, be prevented from denying these rights to others while doing business beyond our borders. These are the legacies of Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. Their vision extended to all who struggle for their inalienable rights, no matter the source.
                    > >
                    > > Mary
                    > >Mary Finally the pendulum is swinging back ,away from the authoritarian toward civil rights implementation. Obama has his head straight about gay and lesbian rights. Blacks ,hispanics and gays are a big constiuancy that the democrats are reclaiming. The address tied Jefferson to Lincoln to King and now to Obama. It is a powerful coalition that has a moral core in the middle class. I feel very good about the situation, better than in many years. Even though Obama gave a long list of things to accomplish I am sure it is quite well itemized , prioritized. I know he will use global warming to pump up his renueable energy initives. The threat of gun control hangs over the right and the Texas shootings today up the anti . Obama knows how to use events to pick his targets. We are a very topical country and that real time urgency is most existential. As the existentialist rejects ideology he makes his decisions in the present not from the past. Obama thinks as a modern man while his opponents react from ideology. It is a huge advantage to be current and to use the present as cause. It is the philosophical advantage that makes modernism the prominant force. We now have a leader who understands that and uses it well. Bill
                    > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > It has taken a long time to actually get to the "equal" bit.
                    > > >
                    > > > eduard

                  • eduardathome
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
                      It's a manner of expression. Don't let it worry you.