Re: The Hindu `s are coming

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
      Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

      > Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill
    • devindersingh
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
        Various schools of theology argue over the semantics and meaning of the
        verses and parables of religious scriptures and never reach any shared
        interpretation. In order to confront the question of life, one must
        remain unaffected by religious dogma, doctrines, and superstition, and
        one must make use of one's finest instrument, the intellect. The
        Upanishads [that inspire vedanta]do not encourage students to depend on
        the sayings of the scriptures; rather they inspire them to be
        self-reliant and discriminating. Religious dogma encourages people to
        follow the canons of a particular sectarian belief that is limited to a
        specific group. Upanishadic philosophy is the expression of supreme
        knowledge directly experienced by great sages and is not confined to
        caste, color, society, or
        nation.http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-philosophy-not-religion.htm---
        In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:

        > Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be
        enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when
        one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking
        norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine
        and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy
        expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one
        in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity
        of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An
        environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

        > Mary
        >
        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
        >
        > > Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
          I would not take existentialism as a "knowledge system", but I suppose it
          all depends upon what you mean by "knowledge system". I would take
          existentialism as a philosophy which is a sort of answer system for specific
          questions that arise in life. I would say as much of yoga, however, some of
          the sutras seem to be stating the obvious, especially 1.8.