Re: The Hindu `s are coming

  • William
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
      Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
        Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

        > Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill
      • devindersingh
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
          Various schools of theology argue over the semantics and meaning of the
          verses and parables of religious scriptures and never reach any shared
          interpretation. In order to confront the question of life, one must
          remain unaffected by religious dogma, doctrines, and superstition, and
          one must make use of one's finest instrument, the intellect. The
          Upanishads [that inspire vedanta]do not encourage students to depend on
          the sayings of the scriptures; rather they inspire them to be
          self-reliant and discriminating. Religious dogma encourages people to
          follow the canons of a particular sectarian belief that is limited to a
          specific group. Upanishadic philosophy is the expression of supreme
          knowledge directly experienced by great sages and is not confined to
          caste, color, society, or
          nation.http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-philosophy-not-religion.htm---
          In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:

          > Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be
          enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when
          one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking
          norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine
          and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy
          expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one
          in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity
          of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An
          environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

          > Mary
          >
          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
          >
          > > Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
            I would not take existentialism as a "knowledge system", but I suppose it
            all depends upon what you mean by "knowledge system". I would take
            existentialism as a philosophy which is a sort of answer system for specific
            questions that arise in life. I would say as much of yoga, however, some of
            the sutras seem to be stating the obvious, especially 1.8.

            Existentialism is a knowledge system, I gather from your brief note.
            your premise is that theism is not truth. There is no God. Is that the
            truth existentialists hold to? You mention the main writers are not
            theists. So there are also theist existentials? Or do you exclude the
            "knowledge" of theists from existentialism? You look for a narrow truth
            then.I speak of yoga. Yoga is an Indian knowledge system. One of the
            six. There are three others that are non-theist. The Indian knowledge
            system is wide ranging. It is a quest for truth. It excludes nothing.the
            basic text of the yoga system is the Patanjali yoga sutras comprising
            196 thought strings:For instance on Un-coloring your thoughts
            <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm> the sutras say:
            (Yoga Sutras 1.5-1.11)

            1.5 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.5> Those gross and

            1.6 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.6> The five