The Hindu `s are coming

  • William
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2013
      I suppose Gulati is who invited me to his group. I have read his opening gambits and find great differences between his ideas and existentialism. The main writers here are not theists.Dick is an athiest and so if you plan to bring this group into some,any faith , it just wont happen.
      I disavowed religion and faith many years ago, I have never looked back . I will not waste your time writing on your group . I am a proficient speed reader and can scan for relevant content. I fear I will handle your material in such a manner.
      In search of decency I welcome you to the group but I will not debate the existance of god and faith and any religion. This group has toddled along for many years. Sometimes it is busy and sometimes it is dead. If you want to discuss existentialism then fire away and I am sure the present writers can do a reasonable job of explaining the basic ideas of the philosophy. If you wnnt to convert anyone you are wasting your time . Do you live in India? Bill
    • devindersingh
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
        Existentialism is a knowledge system, I gather from your brief note.
        your premise is that theism is not truth. There is no God. Is that the
        truth existentialists hold to? You mention the main writers are not
        theists. So there are also theist existentials? Or do you exclude the
        "knowledge" of theists from existentialism? You look for a narrow truth
        then.I speak of yoga. Yoga is an Indian knowledge system. One of the
        six. There are three others that are non-theist. The Indian knowledge
        system is wide ranging. It is a quest for truth. It excludes nothing.the
        basic text of the yoga system is the Patanjali yoga sutras comprising
        196 thought strings:For instance on Un-coloring your thoughts
        <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm> the sutras say:
        (Yoga Sutras 1.5-1.11)

        1.5 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.5> Those gross and
        subtle thought patterns (vrittis) fall into five varieties, of which
        some are colored (klishta) and others are uncolored (aklishta).

        1.6 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.6> The five
        varieties of thought patterns to witness are: 1) knowing correctly
        (pramana), 2) incorrect knowing (viparyaya), 3) fantasy or imagination
        (vikalpa), 4) the object of void-ness that is deep sleep (nidra), and 5)
        recollection or memory (smriti).

        1.7 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.7> Of these five,
        there are three ways of gaining correct knowledge (pramana): 1)
        perception, 2) inference, and 3) testimony or verbal communication from
        others who have knowledge.

        1.8 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.8> Incorrect
        knowledge or illusion (viparyaya) is false knowledge formed by
        perceiving a thing as being other than what it really is.

        1.9 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.9> Fantasy or
        imagination (vikalpa) is a thought pattern that has verbal expression
        and knowledge, but for which there is no such object or reality in
        existence.

        1.10 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.10> Dreamless sleep
        (nidra) is the subtle thought pattern which has as its object an
        inertia, blankness, absence, or negation of the other thought patterns
        (vrittis).

        1.11 <http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-10511.htm#1.11> Recollection or
        memory (smriti) is mental modification caused by the inner reproducing
        of a previous impression of an object, but without adding any other
        characteristics from other sources.

        To understand the true nature of Yoga as a path of truth inquiry, it is
        necessary to have some small understanding of the six classical schools
        or systems of Indian philosophy, of which Yoga is one. It is important
        to note that the Yoga system contains, or is built on four of the other
        systems or schools of Indian philosophy (Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Mimasa, and
        Sankhya). In other words, it is not necessary to go into great depth
        into those as separate studies and practices. They are adequately
        incorporated into the Yoga system, from the standpoint of doing the
        practices. In addition, the Vedanta system is a practical companion to
        the Yoga system.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
          Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
            Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
              Various schools of theology argue over the semantics and meaning of the
              verses and parables of religious scriptures and never reach any shared
              interpretation. In order to confront the question of life, one must
              remain unaffected by religious dogma, doctrines, and superstition, and
              one must make use of one's finest instrument, the intellect. The
              Upanishads [that inspire vedanta]do not encourage students to depend on
              the sayings of the scriptures; rather they inspire them to be
              self-reliant and discriminating. Religious dogma encourages people to
              follow the canons of a particular sectarian belief that is limited to a
              specific group. Upanishadic philosophy is the expression of supreme
              knowledge directly experienced by great sages and is not confined to
              caste, color, society, or
              nation.http://www.swamij.com/swami-rama-philosophy-not-religion.htm---
              In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:

              > Though traditions gave provide a sense of community, they can also be
              enslaving. Existentialism is more amenable to creative perspectives when
              one breaks the shackles not only of religious norms but also of thinking
              norms. Dogma is anathema to existentialism. However one wants to combine
              and perfect their blend of -isms and labels, no other philosophy
              expresses more freedom than existentialism. It's light and carries one
              in and out of many ideas without too much contamination. The integrity
              of any community depends on the authenticity of its individuals. An
              environment is both ground and groundbreaking.

              > Mary
              >
              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:
              >
              > > Great! I am not interested in Yoga. Thanks but no thanks. Bill

            • eduardathome
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 21, 2013
                I would not take existentialism as a "knowledge system", but I suppose it
                all depends upon what you mean by "knowledge system". I would take
                existentialism as a philosophy which is a sort of answer system for specific
                questions that arise in life. I would say as much of yoga, however, some of
                the sutras seem to be stating the obvious, especially 1.8.