Re: "Philosophy is the biography of the philosopher."

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
      I meant to say the thinking function of the brain does exist but only because it has objects to consider, including itself.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
        One last thing today. To repeat, being aware that you have a brain, that it is thinking this thought or the other, and neurological scanning, all equate to awareness of a brain. Do you really need to see the biochemical processes to know you have a brain?

        > I meant to say the thinking function of the brain does exist but only because it has objects to consider, including itself.
        >
        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:
        > >
        > > No, eduard, I said the thinking brain doesn't exist. This is different from all the other functions the brain performs. Evolutionary development of the brain, and the history of ideas are linear. You want to isolate the brain from everything except itself. If you do that it's no longer part of a system, neither a system of ideas nor an environmental system. If you want a simpler system, that's what you prefer, your own script if you will.
        > >
        > > Mary
        > >
        > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Mary,
        > > >
        > > > "Without objects to perceive, including itself, the thinking brain doesn't
        > > > exist."
        > > >
        > > > You are well beyond me. I tend to look at things in a concrete linear
        > > > fashion. That is why I like Nooism. It doesn't get into stuff at some
        > > > rarefied level. We think by using our neurons [our brain] and that's it.
        > > > We don't have to speculate on this or that or some combination until nothing
        > > > really makes any sense.
        > > >
        > > > Consider your statement above. Basically you are saying that if there is no
        > > > brain, then the brain doesn't exist. Isn't that kinda obvious.
        > > >
        > > > It's very simple. Objects exist. They always exist regardless of humans.
        > > > The brain can "know" an object by means of its sensors. But the "knowing"
        > > > is only an interpretation largely based on previous learning. Our brain can
        > > > store the electrochemical information which "represents" the object. Later,
        > > > in our "thinking" this information may be used in a mental script to produce
        > > > another thought, a behaviour or whatever.
        > > >
        > > > We can be aware of our thinking, as to say that we know when we have thought
        > > > of something, but we cannot monitor the actual process of thinking. So in a
        > > > literal sense, one cannot say that the brain is aware of itself. To do so
        > > > is to anthropomorphise the brain.
        > > >
        > > > eduard

      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
          Mary,

          Your statement was that one might remove all objects including the thinking
          brain. Regardless of what other functions there may be, if your remove the
          thinking brain then it no longer exists. You are stating the obvious.

          But lets look at this aspect of isolation. I would offer that the brain IS
          isolated from everything except itself ... in the role of thinking. If you
          remove elements of the environment, at what point in the removal or for what
          object that is removed, does the brain cease to function?? Granted, if you
          remove the air or some other basic survival element the brain dies, but even
          here the brain will function until it is actually dead.

          If you remove the system of ideas, at what point will the brain cease to
          function?? This is a particularly important question since your proposal of
          removal of a system of ideas implies that the brain cannot think unless
          there is some idea that resides elsewhere. The idea in the apple. I would
          submit that that is not the case. The brain can function in isolation
          because the thinking is essentially mechanical within itself. In fact, it
          does so when we sleep by creating dreams [its own objects]. However, I
          would further suggest that the reverse is true. If you remove the thinking
          brain then the system of ideas will cease to exist. Your proposal would be
          similar as to say that if you remove the internet, computers would cease to
          exist.

          No, eduard, I said the thinking brain doesn't exist. This is different from
          all the other functions the brain performs. Evolutionary development of the
          brain, and the history of ideas are linear. You want to isolate the brain
          from everything except itself. If you do that it's no longer part of a
          system, neither a system of ideas nor an environmental system. If you want a
          simpler system, that's what you prefer, your own script if you will.

          > Mary,
          >
          > "Without objects to perceive, including itself, the thinking brain doesn't
          > exist."
          >
          > You are well beyond me. I tend to look at things in a concrete linear
          > fashion. That is why I like Nooism. It doesn't get into stuff at some
          > rarefied level. We think by using our neurons [our brain] and that's it.
          > We don't have to speculate on this or that or some combination until
          > nothing
          > really makes any sense.
          >
          > Consider your statement above. Basically you are saying that if there is
          > no
          > brain, then the brain doesn't exist. Isn't that kinda obvious.
          >
          > It's very simple. Objects exist. They always exist regardless of humans.
          > The brain can "know" an object by means of its sensors. But the "knowing"
          > is only an interpretation largely based on previous learning. Our brain
          > can
          > store the electrochemical information which "represents" the object.
          > Later,
          > in our "thinking" this information may be used in a mental script to
          > produce
          > another thought, a behaviour or whatever.
          >
          > We can be aware of our thinking, as to say that we know when we have
          > thought
          > of something, but we cannot monitor the actual process of thinking. So in
          > literal sense, one cannot say that the brain is aware of itself. To do so
          > is to anthropomorphise the brain.
          >
          > eduard

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
            That too is obvious. Thinking is about something. If you remove all the
            somethings, then there is no thinking. So in essence you are saying that if
            there is no thinking then thinking does not exist. Put in another way, if
            you remove all the inputs, you will get an output from a neuron.

            I meant to say the thinking function of the brain does exist but only
            because it has objects to consider, including itself.

            > No, eduard, I said the thinking brain doesn't exist. This is different
            > from all the other functions the brain performs. Evolutionary development
            > of the brain, and the history of ideas are linear. You want to isolate the
            > brain from everything except itself. If you do that it's no longer part of
            > a system, neither a system of ideas nor an environmental system. If you
            > want a simpler system, that's what you prefer, your own script if you
            > will.
            >
            > Mary

            > > Mary,
            > >
            > > "Without objects to perceive, including itself, the thinking brain
            > > doesn't
            > > exist."
            > >
            > > You are well beyond me. I tend to look at things in a concrete linear
            > > fashion. That is why I like Nooism. It doesn't get into stuff at some
            > > rarefied level. We think by using our neurons [our brain] and that's
            > > it.
            > > We don't have to speculate on this or that or some combination until
            > > nothing
            > > really makes any sense.
            > >
            > > Consider your statement above. Basically you are saying that if there
            > > is no
            > > brain, then the brain doesn't exist. Isn't that kinda obvious.
            > >
            > > It's very simple. Objects exist. They always exist regardless of
            > > humans.
            > > The brain can "know" an object by means of its sensors. But the
            > > "knowing"
            > > is only an interpretation largely based on previous learning. Our brain
            > > can
            > > store the electrochemical information which "represents" the object.
            > > Later,
            > > in our "thinking" this information may be used in a mental script to
            > > produce
            > > another thought, a behaviour or whatever.
            > >
            > > We can be aware of our thinking, as to say that we know when we have
            > > thought
            > > of something, but we cannot monitor the actual process of thinking. So
            > > in a
            > > literal sense, one cannot say that the brain is aware of itself. To do
            > > so
            > > is to anthropomorphise the brain.
            > >
            > > eduard

          • eduardathome
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2013
              I did not say that you "need" to see the biochemical process. I am saying
              that you can't monitor the process. We can think and know we have a brain
              without being aware of the process at the moment thinking occurs. So it
              cannot be said that the brain is aware of its thinking. If it were aware of
              its process of thinking [that is, we being aware], then it would have to
              monitor the process in some fashion.

              One last thing today. To repeat, being aware that you have a brain, that it
              is thinking this thought or the other, and neurological scanning, all equate
              to awareness of a brain. Do you really need to see the biochemical
              processes to know you have a brain?

              > I meant to say the thinking function of the brain does exist but only
              > because it has objects to consider, including itself.
              >
              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:
              > >
              > > No, eduard, I said the thinking brain doesn't exist. This is different
              > > from all the other functions the brain performs. Evolutionary
              > > development of the brain, and the history of ideas are linear. You want
              > > to isolate the brain from everything except itself. If you do that it's
              > > no longer part of a system, neither a system of ideas nor an
              > > environmental system. If you want a simpler system, that's what you
              > > prefer, your own script if you will.
              > >
              > > Mary
              > >
              > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduardathome wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Mary,
              > > >
              > > > "Without objects to perceive, including itself, the thinking brain
              > > > doesn't
              > > > exist."
              > > >
              > > > You are well beyond me. I tend to look at things in a concrete linear
              > > > fashion. That is why I like Nooism. It doesn't get into stuff at
              > > > some
              > > > rarefied level. We think by using our neurons [our brain] and that's
              > > > it.
              > > > We don't have to speculate on this or that or some combination until
              > > > nothing
              > > > really makes any sense.
              > > >
              > > > Consider your statement above. Basically you are saying that if there
              > > > is no
              > > > brain, then the brain doesn't exist. Isn't that kinda obvious.
              > > >
              > > > It's very simple. Objects exist. They always exist regardless of
              > > > humans.
              > > > The brain can "know" an object by means of its sensors. But the
              > > > "knowing"
              > > > is only an interpretation largely based on previous learning. Our
              > > > brain can
              > > > store the electrochemical information which "represents" the object.
              > > > Later,
              > > > in our "thinking" this information may be used in a mental script to
              > > > produce
              > > > another thought, a behaviour or whatever.
              > > >
              > > > We can be aware of our thinking, as to say that we know when we have
              > > > thought
              > > > of something, but we cannot monitor the actual process of thinking.
              > > > So in a
              > > > literal sense, one cannot say that the brain is aware of itself. To
              > > > do so
              > > > is to anthropomorphise the brain.
              > > >
              > > > eduard

            • Ramona Josephson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2013
                eduard,

                The brain is not isolated from the body; it depends on the body and its external environment. It may or may not think about them while performing countless autonomic tasks about which it doesn't have to think. Body and brain have evolved together as nature and mind have evolved together. They depend on one another; they form a system, a whole, from which the brain is not isolated. There are always objects for the brain to determine, even if this object is itself, the body, or a dream.

                If we are unable to monitor neural processing, how are you certain the brain forms ideas, or dreams, without any input from external objects?

                The differences between your brain and mine are not simply which scripts we keep or discard; the differences are attributable to variables in our environments, internal and external, and require observation and analyses regardless of neural processing, in order to determine which differences are genuinely problematic. Yes, speculative reason requires a brain. Yet as obvious as this is, it doesn't happen in isolation. If your brain merely needs itself, why this conversation? I'm thinking our differences are minor, that you think thinking is mechanical but that your politics and sensibilities may be similar, but I think computer analogies are dangerous. I think you think my representational thinking is somehow dangerous. Is the idea that ideas are immanent in objects really that threatening?

                And if, as you assert, the brain is mechanically processing in isolation from everything else, how are its determinations not subject to skepticism, when determinations which are arrived through input are? Or is that your point, that what this brain determines in isolation is not subject to outside scrutiny? That somehow what the brain does can't affect how we act in and with our environments?

                Mary