Re: [existlist] Re: Harmless ideas about ideas

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2013
      My point is that the "principle" is not developed separately from the brain.

      The apple doesn't play any role in consciousness. There isn't any part of
      the consciousness [our awareness of our existence] that is dependent upon
      some role that an apple may play. Knowledge of the apple may modify what we
      think in the sense of my being aware that that I am the eduard that eats
      apples, but the apple does not contribute to the act of awareness. I am
      aware all by myself and that act occurs within my brain not elsewhere, even
      in part.

      I would agree that an apple has attributes such as roundness and red colour
      [or green], but it does not have an "idea" as a thought element that somehow
      enters my brain to complete my thinking. To put it another way, if a neuron
      in my brain outputs a "true" signal that this is an apple, it does not have
      an input whose source is some neuron or equivalent device in the apple.

      The subject is "thinking". My observation or experience of an apple can
      facilitate my awareness of myself in relation to apples, but the apple does
      not think and thus cannot play a role in my own thinking or my act of
      consciousness.