Re: [existlist] what we cling to

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
      Mary,

      I think that Sartre would be much better understood if he had spoken of
      mental scripts. Authenticity then becomes one's choice or behaviour that is
      in line with your own scripts. You are not authentic if you behave in a
      fashion that is against your own script. One's Essence is then the complex
      of one's scripts that define "you" in your choices and behaviour [which is a
      kind of a choice ... you choose to act].

      We often speak of "winning hearts and minds" which can be reduced to
      "winning brains" since the "heart" is associated with emotion that is
      expressed by the brain and of course the
      "mind" is just another word for "brain" although we tend to use the term
      "mind" to relate to rational thinking.

      The gun issue is all about what people think. Obama wants to win the hearts
      and minds of that portion of the population which wants to arm itself to the
      teeth. The NRA is in there with their commercials to prevent this from
      happening. We used to say that we were in Vietnam to win the hearts and
      minds of the Vietnamese. Now of course we say it about the Iraqis and
      Afghans. It is no different in relation to the US gun totting public. The
      issue of guns in America ... even reduction of guns ... is a brain issue.