Privacy

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
      Individualism in existentialism is a central tenant. Privacy is the bullwork of freedom and the individual life. Those prone to collectivism tend to dilute privacy in favor of collective growth. Brain washing can break down the attempt to hide thoughts from interrogators. So where is the line defining the personal and private life to be drawn. That is what caused this country to exist in the first place. I do not know if Edwards concept of scripts is proved or provable with the current science. Certainly if CDC gets approval and funding science will go after the answer. It will relate to thought patterns and what causes them to go afoul and cause a massacre. How invasive will that expermentation be? Is it by its nature unconstitutional?
      The arguments on these very many issues will not be answered soon,perhaps ever. They cross party lines and certainly relate to civil libertarians and religous conservatives. We are argueing over the rules and we are arguing over money. That is what politics is supposed to be about . It is not in the streets and is non violent,we are still on course. Bill
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
        Of course the idea of scripts is valid. It has not be shown otherwise by
        science or anyone. "Scripts" is my terminology, but the basic point is that
        we actually think with our brains. However, as I said in the beginning,
        there is a huge reluctance in the general population to accept the fact.
        There is this feeling that we can't possibly think with our brains ... for
        everything such as our spirituality, our perception of the world, our
        behaviour, etc., etc.. I think that one of the reasons is because we don't
        want to own up to the realisation that our choices are our own making. It
        is better and more mentally comforting to say that our choices come from
        somewhere else.

        For example, this gun thing. A lot of people on the gun side of the debate
        want to think that this has something to do with the 2nd amendment. But in
        reality it's a matter of their own brains being programmed to want guns. Or
        rather, their brains have difficulty with the thought of not having that gun
        handy. That is why the NRA is putting out its commercials ... to provide
        gun owners with mental scripts that will justify their thinking in case
        someone like Obama should ask the question. The gun issue is entirely about
        brains and whether the majority of American brains are sufficiently fed up
        to want a change. There is a gun culture in the US, which is the same as
        saying that there is gun brain in the US.

        Granted, there is the other reason that if our brains do our thinking, then
        our existence ends when the brain dies. We want to think that there is an
        "after death" to which we will go ... if we have been good. And in the
        reverse without afterlife there is no penalty for being bad. Churches would
        go out of business.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
            Bill,

            "Eduard, who is this we. You see I try to agree with you but you want to
            stretch science."

            How am I stretching science?? Where in science does a scientist say that we
            do not use our brains [our neurons] to think?? I would accept your point
            that it is all theory if you could show that science postulates that
            thinking can occur otherwise.

            If 20,000 years ago humans migrated into Canada [certainly thousands of
            years ago] they would be humans and they would think with their brains and
            would behave/act according to their learned scripts. And their predecessors
            a million years back would think with their brains. In fact, a major reason
            why humans have survived through those millions of years is because they
            have a well-developed brain for thinking.