Re: [existlist] here and there

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
      Mary,

      I don't deny that there are theories of brain-mind. There are likely all
      sorts of explanations or theories which wish to assign some types of
      thinking as occurring separate from the brain. But none of these has a
      valid argument which shows that there actually is a separate "mind". I
      think that these theories are simply using the term "mind" to mean the
      brain. In the same fashion as one might say ... "I have a mind to go to the
      cinema tonight" ... rather than the more cumbersome phrase ... "I have a
      brain to go to the cinema tonight". The term "mind" might be used to
      indicate our intention, but that doesn't mean that the intention is other
      than the result of brain activity.

      For example, Wikipedia has under the heading for "panpsychism" ....

      The use of psyche is controversial due to it being synonymous with soul, a
      term usually taken to have some sort of supernatural quality; more common
      terms now found in the literature include mind, mental properties, mental
      aspect, and experience.

      The implication is that "mind" is synonymous with "mental properties" and
      thus the brain.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        Bill,

        By all means, feel free to go your own way.