here and there

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
      eduard,

      Property dualism, emergent realism, non-reductive materialism, anomalous monism, biological naturalism, epiiphenomenalism, panpsychic property dualism (according to Wikipedia) are some of several explanations or theories for brain-mind. I remix these a little differently and find truths in various minds and ideas.

      All of which are quite as occasionally interesting as envisioning Bill's white socks, his feeding birds and squirrels, cooking and cleaning or your acceptance of harsh winters in the land of some of my French forbears or your passion for wanting others to understand they can rescript their troubling thoughts and behaviors.

      Mary
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013

        > eduard,
        >
        > Property dualism, emergent realism, non-reductive materialism, anomalous monism, biological naturalism, epiiphenomenalism, panpsychic property dualism (according to Wikipedia) are some of several explanations or theories for brain-mind. I remix these a little differently and find truths in various minds and ideas.
        >
        > All of which are quite as occasionally interesting as envisioning Bill's white socks, his feeding birds and squirrels, cooking and cleaning or your acceptance of harsh winters in the land of some of my French forbears or your passion for wanting others to understand they can rescript their troubling thoughts and behaviors.
        >
        > Mary
        >Mary, I am returning to the philosophical world of "Wash Your Bowl". You want to go one way and I am going another. Those wildly complex terms you mentioned do not trmpt me to study what you want us to think about thinking. It is not there Mary, Jargon begets jargon and I actually care more for my feet than for strained and overwrought theories of The Mind. Because the words have more syllables does not clairify.
        "All these people that you mentioned ,I know them they are all quite lame. I had to rearrange their faces and give them all another name but right now I don`t feel so good don`t give me no letters no. Not unless you mail them to me from desolition row. Bill
      • eduardathome
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2013
          Mary,

          I don't deny that there are theories of brain-mind. There are likely all
          sorts of explanations or theories which wish to assign some types of
          thinking as occurring separate from the brain. But none of these has a
          valid argument which shows that there actually is a separate "mind". I
          think that these theories are simply using the term "mind" to mean the
          brain. In the same fashion as one might say ... "I have a mind to go to the
          cinema tonight" ... rather than the more cumbersome phrase ... "I have a
          brain to go to the cinema tonight". The term "mind" might be used to
          indicate our intention, but that doesn't mean that the intention is other
          than the result of brain activity.

          For example, Wikipedia has under the heading for "panpsychism" ....

          The use of psyche is controversial due to it being synonymous with soul, a
          term usually taken to have some sort of supernatural quality; more common
          terms now found in the literature include mind, mental properties, mental
          aspect, and experience.

          The implication is that "mind" is synonymous with "mental properties" and
          thus the brain.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
            Bill,

            By all means, feel free to go your own way.