Toward the secular

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013
      Eduards comment about the harm done by religion makes me think about the relative sparcity of religion we are beginning to enjoy here in the west. Bush was a believer and the religions lost little ground during his presidency. Obama plays lip service but his ignoring of the religous right is showing through in the secound term. He is a policy wonk like Clinton and he wants to govern not pray. We do better when we forget god and get on with the business of living. The budget woes are boring but at least our leaders are working on real world problems and are tacking away from religous wars. The separation between church and state is broadned and the business of state is turned away from the priests. Moving away from war and religion go hand in hand. Part of the right wing obsession with Israel is found in revelations. If you have read revelations you know it is a fantastic tale that relies on seven seals and the chosen few. Many of the religions welcome armageddon so the chosen can be with god. The rest of us are just wasted. That is a discrimination of the highest order and the further we can get away from it and the lost people who believe such madness the better.I have wavered between strengent anti religion and complete ignoring of belief all togeather. Now I am just not interested in religion and am happy with existentialism in general terms. It is a peaceful philosophic state and the god squad gets little of my time or interest. I have given up trying to expand existentialism. I think its bland broadness is its strength and you do not have to keep tweaking it ,it is just there as a reality stantion. There is not much to forget and any rules are self imposed. So I like being secular like I like being retired and away from the over association with professional life. As I begin to look back I see professionalism was a bit like a religion and it is hard to recognise from the inside. We were trained to be fanatical and I am enjoying dropping the many pretenses I adopted without directly considering what I was doing. An example is I can now wear white socks and avoid the allergy I had to the dye in dress socks. My feet are healing and it feels good. I would never wear white socks to the office, it was not professional.
      I now have the chance to move away from illogical behavours and can listen to Jimmy Buffet on the radio and stay up late and watch the comics on the tube. I see all of this as a march toward sanity and away from dogmatic thinking and forced lifestyle. I am afraid to say it but it is like being reborn into a clean reality. Thanks Eduard, you pointed me in this direction toward this new perspective. Bill