The kill list

  • William
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
      Now that we will have less crucial need to take mid east oil we might proceed with a more even handed approach to islamic states. They will have markets for their energy and better run economys might return some of the profits to the peoples of the region. The age of the dictators is coming to an end and the visit of the Egyptian president can be a chance to deal with elected leadership . I do not expect them to act like western liberals, they will be of the islamic brotherhood and like political organisations . As we leave their terratories they can have greater autonomy and perhaps will bear less hatred of the west. If they continue terrorist attacks against us we will still have the drones. As for Israel I do not know how they will fare. Obama and Hagel seem less inclined to get into war over Israel.
      I do not want a kill list and hope it is no longer needed. Negotiations,not hell fire missles should be the norm. I hope the next four years send us in that direction. I think we should talk to Iran and with the neocons on the run I have noticed a slight change in Iranian rhetoric. The sanctions have decreased their oil exports by fifty percent. That can be a great barganing tool in the future. The world is becomming a less warlike planet and that will do it more good than anything else. Engineering and scientific advancements will help the environmental damage and renuable energy is beginning to make a dent in hydrocarbon burning. The progress is slow but I think it is happening.We have enlightened leadership and it will make a better world. Bill
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
        If you read the news, the states of the Arab Spring, are leaning again
        towards dictatorship. Look at what Morsi in Egypt has done. He effectively
        made himself and his decisions immune from challenge and they are going
        ahead with the the constitution created by the Muslim Brotherhood majority.
        The Arab Spring is turning into an Arab Winter. We have not seen the end of
        troubles in that corner of the world.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2013
          There were many of us who objected to and were appalled by our mission in Vietnam. I'm also disgusted by the fact that more Americans have been killed in Chicago in one year than total U.S. fatalities in Afghanistan. Violence is a barbaric way for 'civilized' people to settle their differences. There are no excuses for the educated and prosperous in failing to find better methods of conflict resolution. It's not humanly possible to prevent conflict, but take reward, lack of consequences, and profit out of the mix, then those who want peace can make it happen. Waging war is a prime example of 'sustained incoherence'; you can't say it's unethical and then accept it.

          In a way that is what happened in Vietnam. We carpet bombed the country with B-52s and I doubt that many people felt uneasy about it. Thousands of Asians were killed, but our primary concern was how many more Americans were in the body count for the 6 o'clock news.

          At the time, I was probably cheering the B-52s on, but with perfect hindsight, it just seems wrong.

        • William
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2013
            Mary,I remember my objection to Nam . I could never see any pressing national interest. Kennedy was said to be trying to halt the incursion and some say that was part of the reason for the assination. Who knows that whole time is clouded in conspiracy theories. Certainly Johnson and then Nixon went hog wild and it seemed never ending. The protests,gas,clubs will never be forgotten.I still shudder when I think of it all and remember my induction . I volunteered but was scared shitless. I had it easy but knew so many that were permanently wounded,both mentally and physically. Then there were 58,000 dead.
            When Robert Kennedy was gunned down I just retreated from public discussion and buried my head in my studies.I remember being happy when Johnson stepped down but the scourge of Nixon was even worse. I, like many, were clubbed in the streets and spit on in uniform. It was a terrible time and I just try to forget it. Yes ,Eduard, I agree there will be further troubles in the mid east but hopefully we will be most reluctant to intervene militarily. Islamic radicals and their killing of women tempt us to get involved. Those radicals are thugs and sending in troops is a poor response. Afgans are going to have a tough time but what is new. Obama is trying to get out early leaving a residual force to stop terrorists and train security forces. I doubt anyone thinks the place will be secure. I know we will retain the right to hit the radicals and I have to agree with that. No civilised country wants anything to do with Taliban and drug lords. It is the sink hole of the world and at best can only be contained. No one wants to go there ,no one wants to be there.
            As to Egypt we have some leverage and we will have to learn to deal with whatever leadership sorts out . That countries internal problems are massive and they will fly apart without international aid.Ithink Obama and John Kerry will be most careful about any military intervention. If we can keep the peace makers in office then there will be a better outcome. Allow the right back in power and we will slip right back into intervention and war. The f16`s are flying less over my house. I like the peace and quiet. Soon they will be retired here, at least the drones are quiet. Bill