Cosmos & Evolution

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
      Does a system design itself? Is each part intelligent? Does a brain merely perceive systems or does it influence them, and does the system influence the brain?

      Mary
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
        In nature, systems evolve or follow basic laws like a galaxy system. A
        natural system might be considered intelligent in the sense that it decides
        what will occur within itself. But those decisions are also to follow
        established rules, so system would not be able to modify its reactions to
        take care of something new. For example, one might say that a river system
        is intelligent, but that is to stretch the meaning when we say a human has
        intelligence. A river can change its bed if there is a landslide, but it is
        just following its own rules. A river can't decide to flow up a mountain.
        Albeit some humans cannot deal with something new either.

        If you have a system and were to say that it is intelligent, I don't think
        that one could then say that each part is intelligent. It would imply that
        the part could decide to modify its own reaction and that would be
        impossible by definition. Within the human body/brain system, only the
        brain can change its reaction to something. The heart can change its beat
        rate, but if it does so on its own, then you are in trouble.

        The brain perceives systems and can only influence them by the human
        actively doing something. Some people believe that the brain can manipulate
        objects at a distance. But I don't and I don't think that mental
        telekinetics has ever been proven. There are lots of stories, but if it
        were true outside of the Hollywood, we would know it with a certainty.

        Systems influence the brain by stimulation. If my heating system fails my
        brain will know it by the chill and will tell me to call the furnace people.

        eduardathome

        Does a system design itself? Is each part intelligent? Does a brain merely
        perceive systems or does it influence them, and does the system influence
        the brain?

      • William
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013

          > In nature, systems evolve or follow basic laws like a galaxy system. A
          > natural system might be considered intelligent in the sense that it decides
          > what will occur within itself. But those decisions are also to follow
          > established rules, so system would not be able to modify its reactions to
          > take care of something new. For example, one might say that a river system
          > is intelligent, but that is to stretch the meaning when we say a human has
          > intelligence. A river can change its bed if there is a landslide, but it is
          > just following its own rules. A river can't decide to flow up a mountain.
          > Albeit some humans cannot deal with something new either.
          >
          > If you have a system and were to say that it is intelligent, I don't think
          > that one could then say that each part is intelligent. It would imply that
          > the part could decide to modify its own reaction and that would be
          > impossible by definition. Within the human body/brain system, only the
          > brain can change its reaction to something. The heart can change its beat
          > rate, but if it does so on its own, then you are in trouble.
          >
          > The brain perceives systems and can only influence them by the human
          > actively doing something. Some people believe that the brain can manipulate
          > objects at a distance. But I don't and I don't think that mental
          > telekinetics has ever been proven. There are lots of stories, but if it
          > were true outside of the Hollywood, we would know it with a certainty.
          >
          > Systems influence the brain by stimulation. If my heating system fails my
          > brain will know it by the chill and will tell me to call the furnace people.
          >
          > eduardathome
          > Eduward, You engineers are great,straight line thinkers. Spoon benders and mind readers do not elicit any credance from me. The rules of basic science are rarely violated and such circumstances are often set ups. Back on the gun madness I would not be adverse to putting the trained guards in some trial schools . The numbers will tell the results and the guards will have jobs. Of course they should have background checks and weapons training. The statisticians can tell us what a relevant sample size might be and after five years we will have an answer. I mean the guards might be double tasked to clean up puke in the classrooms. It all can`t be fun being a big stud ,gunslinger. Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
            There is a Chinese magician or is it a magician who was doing a trick in
            China .. can't recall.

            He had this trick of passing a $10 bill through a window. I think it's
            still on YouTube.

            Anyway, I played the video in stop mode, advancing it a second at a time and
            capturing the images. If you watch the video you will think that he manages
            to pass his hand through glass. But if you look at the captures, it is
            obvious that the hand emerging on the other side of the window is not his
            own. The different angles are noticeable. Someone else is inside inside
            the shop with another $10 bill.

            Spoon benders and mind readers can be found out.

          • William
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013