Re: [existlist] I pee, therefore I am

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      It might rival the brain [which I doubt], but the kidney doesn't think.

      I am Jack's failing kidney.
      I kill Jack.

      eduardathome

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
        "System" is also an engineering perspective. You can't design an airplane
        that is heavier than the withstand capability of runway on which it is to
        land.

        eduardathome

        Regard for the system rather than its specific parts is a philosophical
        perspective, I think. A philosophical quandary might come into play while
        determining how to medically treat one part if the cure endangers the whole
        system. Then calculated risks come into play, but I think one's
        philosophical perspective helps make the decision.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
          Who designs an ecosystem?

          > "System" is also an engineering perspective. You can't design an airplane
          > that is heavier than the withstand capability of runway on which it is to
          > land.
          >
          > eduardathome

        • William
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
              Depends upon what you mean by an ecosystem. If you mean a system to get rid
              of waste in an ecological appropriate fashion ... instead of throwing stuff
              into the nearest river ... it would likely be some engineering firm.

              Did you know that Dubai, with all its neat towers and expensive residences
              on sculptured islands, has no internal sewage system?? Everything has to
              put in holding tanks and then trucked to some treatment plant south of the
              city.

              In a way, at least this is better than Venice when most of the stuff goes
              into the canals with hope that it will be taken out by the tides.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
                Yes, my point exactly, and big brains have yet to improve on it, only recklessly exploit it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
                  I seriously doubt that the functioning of the kidney can rival that of the
                  brain. Yes a dead kidney leads to a dead brain, but then so will a scratch
                  on your finger if it is infected and left untreated.

                  eduardathome